Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How many group rides per week (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1245024)

LarrySellerz 01-11-22 11:24 PM

How many group rides per week

How many group rides per week do you guys think is too many, in terms of training. I do like 4-5 (drop rides) and think that I might be better served doing more base work by myself, but that's no fun.

urbanknight 01-12-22 12:46 AM

8 would be too many.

shelbyfv 01-12-22 06:38 AM

^^^ Though given longer days, two-a-days might be a thing. Spread out the pleasure of his company....

WhyFi 01-12-22 07:20 AM

Before heading out for a group ride, consider your TSB and how it'll be affected by the additional TSS from the ride. Recovery is essential, and you wouldn't want your ATL to shoot too far beyond your CTL and risk overtraining/injury, now would you?

GhostRider62 01-12-22 07:30 AM

4-5 drop rides is way too much. It depends on your age and fitness and ability to recover. When I was younger, I raced once on the weekend and one hard group ride after work during the middle of the week. Intervals one day, sprints another day. Two rest days. Sunday was the long steady ride.

You also have to take into account your alcohol consumption. That puts a load on your system. too

oris 01-12-22 09:07 AM

Dang, that's quite a few group rides.

Even though it's intensely boring at times, I spend the majority of my time doing base and build work on the trainer with 1 group ride a week to keep it fun. For context, we're talking 4 hours base (solo) training and a 2-3 hour group ride once a week. The caveat I would put out there, is, putting time into base training does make the group rides more enjoyable when you're fitter and spend less time trying to hang on.

Koyote 01-12-22 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22370841)
Before heading out for a group ride, consider your TSB and how it'll be affected by the additional TSS from the ride. Recovery is essential, and you wouldn't want your ATL to shoot too far beyond your CTL and risk overtraining/injury, now would you?

wtf, 4 GRs is tm, though ymmv.

LarrySellerz 01-12-22 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by GhostRider62 (Post 22370850)
4-5 drop rides is way too much. It depends on your age and fitness and ability to recover. When I was younger, I raced once on the weekend and one hard group ride after work during the middle of the week. Intervals one day, sprints another day. Two rest days. Sunday was the long steady ride.

You also have to take into account your alcohol consumption. That puts a load on your system. too

yeah I feel like its too much, I did my first race (early bird training crit) on sunday and got wrecked. My excuse was that I was worn out and needed a rest day or base building day. Also im quitting alcohol

LarrySellerz 01-12-22 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22370811)
^^^ Though given longer days, two-a-days might be a thing. Spread out the pleasure of his company....

Maybe when the season starts, I could do 2 a days on tuesday and thursday now but both of those rides are killer. Also im kinda trolly here but im on my best behavior when riding and am just out there chasing fitness like everyone else.

Koyote 01-12-22 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371076)
yeah I feel like its too much, I did my first race (early bird training crit) on sunday and got wrecked. My excuse was that I was worn out and needed a rest day or base building day. Also im quitting alcohol

Planning to quit isn't a thing. You're either drinking or you're not.

LarrySellerz 01-12-22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 22371248)
Planning to quit isn't a thing. You're either drinking or you're not.

been sober this week. One day at a time

prj71 01-12-22 01:24 PM

Quitters never win.

I do one group ride per week on road and one group ride per week mountain in summer or fat bike in winter.

Koyote 01-12-22 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371385)

Good work! Keep at it. If you're not going to meetings, I recommend that you try 'em. They're especially great if you like church basements and stale coffee. :)

datlas 01-12-22 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371385)

kudos

the sci guy 01-12-22 02:37 PM

It's a bit sporadic at the moment, but I'd like to do 3 or 4. I have 2 regular ones, and would like to add a nite bike ride, and maybe 1 other.

tomato coupe 01-12-22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22370671)
How many group rides per week do you guys think is too many, in terms of training. I do like 4-5 (drop rides) and think that I might be better served doing more base work by myself, but that's no fun.

Are you asking for yourself, or on behalf of the group?

LarrySellerz 01-12-22 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tomato coupe (Post 22371722)
Are you asking for yourself, or on behalf of the group?

lol I don't get why y'all think I'm some pariah. people like me for the most part as far as I can tell. Haters gonna hate I guess.

shelbyfv 01-12-22 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371737)
lol I don't get why y'all think I'm some pariah. people like me for the most part as far as I can tell. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Anything is possible....:roflmao:

LarrySellerz 01-12-22 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22371771)
Anything is possible....:roflmao:

shelby how many miles did you ride last week? I bet ive rode double that over the past 3 days

shelbyfv 01-13-22 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371961)
shelby how many miles did you ride last week? I bet ive rode double that over the past 3 days

You've got me there Larry! :o Only one ride last week of 74 miles. 4400 elevation. It was my birthday "ride my age" ride. Heavy snow the rest of the week. 6200 miles for 2021, how about you? I've no doubt you are a cycling stud, I just doubt anyone wants to be on a ride with you.:twitchy:

indyfabz 01-13-22 07:48 AM

BillyD 01-13-22 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22372104)
You've got me there Larry! :o Only one ride last week of 74 miles. 4400 elevation. It was my birthday "ride my age" ride. Heavy snow the rest of the week. 6200 miles for 2021, how about you? I've no doubt you are a cycling stud, I just doubt anyone wants to be on a ride with you.:twitchy:

Don't start.

LarrySellerz 01-13-22 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22372104)

Thats quite the ride! nice. Ive done like 125 miles the past 3 days so not more than double you. I commute 15 miles a day though so its easy to pack in miles. "old" people seem to have crazy endurance, you lose some strength but endurance is the last thing to go. Not to call you old ;p

genejockey 01-13-22 09:55 AM

Returning to the original question, you need to define your goals. If you just want to ride in the fast group rides, then do that. If you want to win races, you need more specific training, like structured workouts and base miles NOT done at high power.

Koyote 01-13-22 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz (Post 22371961)

Ah, yes: the old "I've ridden more miles than you, so I must be correct about this completely unrelated point!." A staple argument on bf.

But I'm smarter than both of you -- I've stayed in a whole bunch of Holiday Inn Express hotels.