Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Mag wheels and rim liners (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1263296)

CrimsonEclipse 11-18-22 09:45 AM

Mag wheels and rim liners

Do mag wheels made of carbon require rim liners?

FBinNY 11-18-22 01:06 PM

No, why would they?

Andrew R Stewart 11-18-22 01:23 PM

As long as the rim's interior has no spoke nipple access holes, or nipple heads sticking above the rim bed, no liner is needed.

By "mag wheels" I assume you mean a compression spoked wheel, and one that is made of carbon fiber vs magnesium. Andy

KerryIrons 11-20-22 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22714253)
Do mag wheels made of carbon require rim liners?

Just to give you a hard time, how can a magnesium wheel be made of carbon? Some new kind of physics? :)

CrimsonEclipse 11-20-22 10:48 AM

Ok I guess I deserved all that..

OK, back when we rode along side dinosaurs, some of the BMX wheels were made of a magnesium alloy and had 5 spokes and were slang termed "mags". Son after, the cheap bikes had 5 spoke wheels made of plastic and they were still called "mag" wheels because of marketing.

So, yes, I called them mag wheels, because I am a victim of capitalism. There, you happy?

Helicopter wheels? Those 3 blade Ginsu wheels?

Whatever, it was an random post born of a random thought.

maddog34 11-20-22 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22716207)
Ok I guess I deserved all that..

OK, back when we rode along side dinosaurs, some of the BMX wheels were made of a magnesium alloy and had 5 spokes and were slang termed "mags". Son after, the cheap bikes had 5 spoke wheels made of plastic and they were still called "mag" wheels because of marketing.

So, yes, I called them mag wheels, because I am a victim of capitalism. There, you happy?

Bunny killer wheels. no need for a liner unless they are some new design created just to make life difficult for the owners.

veganbikes 11-20-22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse (Post 22716207)

1 piece carbon wheels? Tri-spokes or quintuple spokes (depending on the number of spokes) I have never known carbon wheels like that as mag wheels just the BMX stuff when Specialized did their 3 spoked wheel I always heard it as tri-spoke and it made sense and why change it.

HillRider 11-20-22 12:47 PM

The original automobile racing wheels were indeed cast magnesium and were referred to as "Mag" wheels quite correctly. The cost, porosity, corrosion susceptibility and potential fire hazard soon had manufacturers change over to cast aluminum for road car use. However, the name "Mag wheels" remained even if technically not correct. A friend in graduate school in 1964 has a '64 Corvette fitted with Cragar aluminum wheels and both he and the manufacturer referred to them as mag wheels.

FBinNY 11-20-22 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HillRider (Post 22716338)
The original automobile racing wheels were indeed cast magnesium and were referred to as "Mag" wheels quite correctly. The cost, porosity, corrosion susceptibility and potential fire hazard soon had manufacturers change over to cast aluminum for road car use. However, the name "Mag wheels" remained even if technically not correct. A friend in graduate school in 1964 has a '64 Corvette fitted with Cragar aluminum wheels and both he and the manufacturer referred to them as mag wheels.

+1 "Mag" is more properly a shortened version of what might be called "Mag style". OTOH, I wouldn't make a fuss about using the term, after all most of us still talk about dialing a phone, though I'll bet that a large percentage of those here have never actually dialed a telephone.

oldbobcat 11-20-22 09:49 PM

Magnesium alloys are porous. The true mag wheels on automobiles are not tubeless.