Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 04-24-20 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437334)
When we first arrived in Belize, I asked the farmers what month does this, or that crop get planted/harvested. They had no idea. We plant corn at the end of the dry. We plant rice when the corn is waist high. After the cacao harvest, we plant this, clean that. And on and on. Their lives are cyclical, with no basis whatsoever on the gregorian calendar. And it has been so for thousands of years. The difference being that now, population density is such that those crops can no longer be relied upon. The soil, which used to rest for a minimum 25 years now rests for five years, at best, and often only two
Slash and burn 101

wut

LAJ 04-24-20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21437349)
My son is the WORST when it comes to keeping a secret.

My wife's bday is tomorrow and I wanted to bake a cake for her with the help of my son. While talking about it with him, I got the feeling that he really wanted to surprise her, so I came up with the plan of getting up a little early so that we'd have some time to at least get them in the over before she woke.

Fast forward to dinner prep with my wife, when she says to me, "Colin told me that I should sleep in tomorrow - sleep in as long as I want. Then he said, 'you're not at all suspicious about what might be going on while you sleep in, are you mom? Like, in the kitchen?""

:rolleyes:

Real smooth, little guy.

I like it when kids try to be slick.

seedsbelize 04-24-20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21437354)
wut

Slash and burn 101
I just knew you all would be interested

seedsbelize 04-24-20 07:29 PM

The home button no longer works on my phone. What a pain

LesterOfPuppets 04-24-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21437338)
Who's your preferred storer of value? Mt. Gox?

Index mutual funds, stable stocks with OK dividends (anything that's at least 5% over 10 year average), etc.

Velo Vol 04-24-20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437380)
Slash and burn 101
I just knew you all would be interested

Why would anyone leave a field fallow for 25 years? Or even five years? Even if you had a huge amount of land and could afford that, it would become all overgrown again.

Velo Vol 04-24-20 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21437392)
Index mutual funds, stable stocks with OK dividends (anything that's at least 5% over 10 year average), etc.

So if you sell a wheel set you immediately plow the proceeds into $USO?

indyfabz 04-24-20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21437349)
My son is the WORST when it comes to keeping a secret.

My wife's bday is tomorrow and I wanted to bake a cake for her with the help of my son. While talking about it with him, I got the feeling that he really wanted to surprise her, so I came up with the plan of getting up a little early so that we'd have some time to at least get them in the over before she woke.

Fast forward to dinner prep with my wife, when she says to me, "Colin told me that I should sleep in tomorrow - sleep in as long as I want. Then he said, 'you're not at all suspicious about what might be going on while you sleep in, are you mom? Like, in the kitchen?""

:rolleyes:

Real smooth, little guy.

Kids say the darndest things.

indyfabz 04-24-20 07:51 PM

Social distancing balloon fail.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...15b80faa0.jpeg

Velo Vol 04-24-20 08:07 PM

Hard pass

LesterOfPuppets 04-24-20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21437410)
So if you sell a wheel set you immediately plow the proceeds into $USO?

Uhhh. no. I do have a couple of energy stocks, however.

I don't believe I've ever sold a wheelset in my life.

LAJ 04-24-20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21437467)
I don't believe I've ever sold a wheelset in my life.

IKR?? That's such an odd question.

datlas 04-25-20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437382)

There is a way to get a virtual home button on your screen. Just ask google.

datlas 04-25-20 04:42 AM

Time to ride.

Bah Humbug 04-25-20 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437382)

As @datlas said, you can add a virtual home button to your screen. However, when my home button stopped working, it meant that a chip or board or connection was dying and the entire phone was not long for this world. Especially in light of the current situation, I'd be preparing a replacement or backup plan.

seedsbelize 04-25-20 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21437395)
Why would anyone leave a field fallow for 25 years? Or even five years? Even if you had a huge amount of land and could afford that, it would become all overgrown again.

That's the point. Store up all that nutrition in the plants and trees. Then when you come back and slash and burn it, the ash is highly concentrared. Enough for two seasons. With low population density it works beautifully.
Slash and burn 101

seedsbelize 04-25-20 06:38 AM

The army ants are on the move, as a result of all the burning. You don't want to get bit by the army ants, as they pack a punch. But not to worry. The anis(birds) monitor said ants and forage on either the ants themselves, or the critters fleeing them. Army ants fan out over the area they are traversing and consume every lving thing that can't get away. Scorpions, cockroaches, small rodents, etc.
Slash and burn 101

seedsbelize 04-25-20 06:53 AM

The last several orders I've received from Amazon have all been delivered DHL. They must've put the kabosh on FedEx entirely.

seedsbelize 04-25-20 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21437733)
As @datlas said, you can add a virtual home button to your screen. However, when my home button stopped working, it meant that a chip or board or connection was dying and the entire phone was not long for this world. Especially in light of the current situation, I'd be preparing a replacement or backup plan.

And I can't download from the play store either. Even after following the fixes provided. You might just be correct here.
How would I go about transferring all my files to a safe place in preparation?

Bah Humbug 04-25-20 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437813)
And I can't download from the play store either. Even after following the fixes provided. You might just be correct here.
How would I go about transferring all my files to a safe place in preparation?

Play store meaning this is an Android? Try doing a search - there should be a desktop app from the manufacturer that will do the backup. It was an iPhone that died on me, and their home buttons were famous for dying like all the time. And that also means I can't say for sure if there's a software home button available, either.

Bah Humbug 04-25-20 08:48 AM

And while this morning's run was the best I've had in a while, it was also the first time I ran into the issue of two people out for a "socially-distant" paired run six feet apart coming at me, with no way to be safe. Fortunately, there was no traffic so I kicked way out into the lane, but damn it people.

Velo Vol 04-25-20 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21437753)
That's the point. Store up all that nutrition in the plants and trees. Then when you come back and slash and burn it, the ash is highly concentrared. Enough for two seasons. With low population density it works beautifully.
Slash and burn 101

Maybe they'll catch up with the last couple centuries and figure out crop rotation.

indyfabz 04-25-20 09:01 AM

For LoP

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...623f061eb.jpeg

abshipp 04-25-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21437926)
Maybe they'll catch up with the last couple centuries and figure out crop rotation.

But isn't letting a field lay fallow the same thing?

I mean, you can't sell what grows except as hay, but it's the same principle.

Velo Vol 04-25-20 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21438011)
But isn't letting a field lay fallow the same thing?

I mean, you can't sell what grows except as hay, but it's the same principle.

I'm no farmer but the idea is that some crops are complimentary, replenishing to the soil what the previous one depleted.