Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

WhyFi 09-06-21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22216844)
Playing music through a speaker is incredibly rude.

The problem is that people with manners are less likely to pipe up, so the overwhelming feedback that they receive is, "Yeah bro! Rock the tunes!"

For the most part, it doesn't really affect me, though. No one in my group does that and, if I'm riding alone, I can either drop 'em, drop off, or take a different route.

BillyD 09-06-21 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22216990)
Notre Dame shocks the world in Tallahassee.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...06a0cea649.jpg

I turned it off after FSU failed on a bonehead 4th and 1 play from their own 33 yard-line. But I’m glad to see at least they eventually sent it to overtime.

DougRNS 09-06-21 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22217229)
Wouldn't understand in that generally there's no one who's going to hear it for more than a few seconds . . .

once again I'll be the voice of reason. I agree with Humbug that it's rude but also agree with vol that it's only a mild annoyance since it is a brief encounter. Would I do it? No. I like to try to cut people, even the doofuses (doofi?), some slack. If it is blasting at volume 11 that is unacceptable.

Velo Vol 09-06-21 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22217268)
once again I'll be the voice of reason.

When was the first time?

DougRNS 09-06-21 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22217291)
When was the first time?

beginning at post #1.

genejockey 09-06-21 08:54 AM

I'm with Bah Humbug on this. Don't inflict your music on others. I don't sing when I ride for the same reason, much as I may want to sing 'A More Human Mikado' as I roll along, complete with the evil laughter and gasping.

Bah Humbug 09-06-21 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22217229)
Wouldn't understand in that generally there's no one who's going to hear it for more than a few seconds . . .

… until everyone does it. Or until you decide to draft me. Or we’re on the same group ride and you’re always near me. It’s a total inconsiderate dick move. You know that music I like that you think is weird? Imagine me sitting on your lawn blasting it.

Bah Humbug 09-06-21 09:00 AM

Yet more #LPLO.

Bah Humbug 09-06-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22217236)
The problem is that people with manners are less likely to pipe up, so the overwhelming feedback that they receive is, "Yeah bro! Rock the tunes!"

For the most part, it doesn't really affect me, though. No one in my group does that and, if I'm riding alone, I can either drop 'em, drop off, or take a different route.

Not all of us are in that situation, unfortunately. Austin has a few good routes, and all it takes is a couple of jackasses riding back and forth to turn it into a cacophony.

WhyFi 09-06-21 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217337)
Not all of us are in that situation, unfortunately. Austin has a few good routes, and all it takes is a couple of jackasses riding back and forth to turn it into a cacophony.

Oh, I hear ya. The Twin Cities have a pretty well filled-out set of MUPs, and it can get like that on 'em.

....which is one of the many reasons that I avoid the MUPs unless they're a lesser evil.

Bah Humbug 09-06-21 09:07 AM

Or, indeed, how would anyone feel if I blasted an air horn at them every time I rode by? It's only a few seconds, NBD right?

No, rude. Completely. People somehow got by without it a decade ago, but now think it's fine to inflict noise on everyone else all the time, be it music or walking around using speakerphone for whatever reason.

Y'all want to know why I feel #bahhumbug all the time? I live my life trying to be as considerate as possible of everyone around me, and somehow am frequently surrounded by people who care about nothing and no one but themselves. Whether that's pushing their music on everyone, hogging the path, drafting without asking, weaving around, stopping in the middle of the grocery store aisle, or the thousand and million other things people do all the time without thinking about it. And this is why I want my moat.

genejockey 09-06-21 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217346)
Or, indeed, how would anyone feel if I blasted an air horn at them every time I rode by? It's only a few seconds, NBD right?

No, rude. Completely. People somehow got by without it a decade ago, but now think it's fine to inflict noise on everyone else all the time, be it music or walking around using speakerphone for whatever reason.

Y'all want to know why I feel #bahhumbug all the time? I live my life trying to be as considerate as possible of everyone around me, and somehow am frequently surrounded by people who care about nothing and no one but themselves. Whether that's pushing their music on everyone, hogging the path, drafting without asking, weaving around, stopping in the middle of the grocery store aisle, or the thousand and million other things people do all the time without thinking about it. And this is why I want my moat.

Lately there seem to be more cyclists stopping in the bike lane, usually talking on cell phones. Yesterday, some clown was stopped in the bike lane, taking up the entire width, on a road with significant car traffic. There was a nice, big driveway just 20 yards further along. You could see it from where he was sitting diagonally. Similarly, there seem to be more people stopping for a chin wag at choke points. Miles of goddam road to stop, but no, they have to stop THERE at a point where other cyclists have to slow to a crawl to navigate around them.

But try pointing it out, and suddenly YOU'RE the rude one! I've given up and just glower at them - which they can't see because of the glasses - and grumble - which they can't hear because they're talking to their co-roadblocks.

big john 09-06-21 10:34 AM

Let's go to Knoxville.

rjones28 09-06-21 11:14 AM

Currently playing music through speakers.

datlas 09-06-21 11:17 AM

I was not paying attention when the world moved from 10s to 11s, but since I am considering this I would appreciate confirmation of my perception re rear wheels and Shimano 10s/11s. I think this is accurate:

1. If current rear wheel requires that little 0.6mm spacer for 10s cassette, it will take 11s just without spacer.

2. If it does NOT need the spacer, you can still use it with 11s but will need to change the freehub body which might be proprietary to that particular rear hub.

Yes??

2manybikes 09-06-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22217540)

Did you dial it up to 400 watts?

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-21 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22217540)

Same here. Summertime grooves...

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1I...awXz3XvZ3MdFMv

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-21 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22217617)

I think it might need some Jimmy Buffet. or maybe Jimmy Cliff...

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217332)
… until everyone does it. Or until you decide to draft me. Or we’re on the same group ride and you’re always near me. It’s a total inconsiderate dick move. You know that music I like that you think is weird? Imagine me sitting on your lawn blasting it.

It doesn't bother me on the road much, but on MTB trails, uggh, c'mon clowns, stop ruining nature.
Makes me wanna
https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...bc&oe=613B9E58

Mojo31 09-06-21 12:27 PM

Saw a new thing today - guy on a flat bar bike had a pair of BT speakers bolted on the bars facing the rider. Made me thing of Humbah.

rjones28 09-06-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2manybikes (Post 22217565)
Did you dial it up to 400 watts?

Don't want to wake Benson. She's napping.

Mojo31 09-06-21 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217346)

You and I would get along.

Mojo31 09-06-21 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22217337)

Curious what those routes are.

DougRNS 09-06-21 01:58 PM

Nap activity achieved.

LesterOfPuppets 09-06-21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22217793)
Nap activity achieved.

2 slices cheese pizza and a Guinness activity achieved.