Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1254494)

WhyFi 08-16-22 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22612468)
I wonder how much it would cost to rig up one of these tapers

#need

I would have loved something like that when I was doing the old school tape, like Stan's. The new shizzz, like DT Swiss is relatively painless, though.

Trsnrtr 08-16-22 02:08 PM

Here is a standard old man dilemma​​​​​​. I decided to check sealant this afternoon and like I thought, both tires showed none on the dip stick. I filled the rear but the front valve was too short for the hose to properly seal with my preferred syringe. I reached for my second syringe and it was gone. I distinctly remember taking out of the box that I keep my tubeless stuff in but it was nowhere to be found. I hadn’t moved from my chair. Where the heck did it go?

With one eye not working and the other one almost worthless, I searched and searched and even had my wife with two good eyes come out and help to no avail. It’s like dropping a screw or bolt on the garage floor and it warps in to another dimension never to be seen again.

We gave up trying to find it but I did finally get the tire filled. Time to order another syringe.

Mojo31 08-16-22 02:15 PM

My wife was walking all around the house the other day looking for her cell phone and asking me if I knew where it was. Spent probably ten minutes looking for it.

She had it clutched under her arm pit.

seedsbelize2 08-16-22 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22612380)
"Tell me that you weren't a BMX kid in the 80s, without telling me that you weren't a BMX kid in the 80s"

:roflmao2:

Kuwahara was pretty big on the BMX scene back in the day.

They built a lot of road bikes too, for various marques.

genejockey 08-16-22 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22612606)
My wife was walking all around the house the other day looking for her cell phone and asking me if I knew where it was. Spent probably ten minutes looking for it.

Mrs. GeneJockey has a tendency to put it in her bra, which feels funny when she has me call it so she can find it. Also lights up, which looks funny.

Mojo31 08-16-22 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22612619)
Mrs. GeneJockey has a tendency to put it in her bra, which feels funny when she has me call it so she can find it. Also lights up, which looks funny.

Titillating!

WhyFi 08-16-22 02:34 PM

I heard back from Rapha on their repair service evaluation... they say that they can't repair either item. :rolleyes: They did pass along $100+ worth of vouchers to put towards new stuff, but this is still disappointing.

I responded to the email, asking for clarification on why they couldn't be repaired. I mean, if these can't be repaired, what can be?! I only got a canned response to that query, which was also disappointing. Honestly, a part of me wonders if it's because they were both bought on closeout.

In any event, I called around to repair/alteration places around town. After a few calls, I found one that would work with Spandex. I dropped off both pieces, along with some old bibs to use as sacrificial patch material, and was charged a whopping $35. I told them that didn't want or expect them to look like new, but I guess we'll see what's what when I pick them up in a week. Frankly, I'm thinking that something along the lines of the Japanese wabi-sabi or kintsukuroi would be cool. *shrug*

MoAlpha 08-16-22 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22612597)
Here is a standard old man dilemma​​​​​​. I decided to check sealant this afternoon and like I thought, both tires showed none on the dip stick. I filled the rear but the front valve was too short for the hose to properly seal with my preferred syringe. I reached for my second syringe and it was gone. I distinctly remember taking out of the box that I keep my tubeless stuff in but it was nowhere to be found. I hadn’t moved from my chair. Where the heck did it go?

With one eye not working and the other one almost worthless, I searched and searched and even had my wife with two good eyes come out and help to no avail. It’s like dropping a screw or bolt on the garage floor and it warps in to another dimension never to be seen again.

We gave up trying to find it but I did finally get the tire filled. Time to order another syringe.

That ****'s been happening to me for 50 years!

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-22 02:42 PM

AJ's ain't messin'! I think they've got Walmart beat for Halloween lead time.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1ae18ac094.jpg

MoAlpha 08-16-22 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22612630)
I heard back from Rapha on their repair service evaluation... they say that they can't repair either item. :rolleyes: They did pass along $100+ worth of vouchers to put towards new stuff, but this is still disappointing.

I responded to the email, asking for clarification on why they couldn't be repaired. I mean, if these can't be repaired, what can be?! I only got a canned response to that query, which was also disappointing. Honestly, a part of me wonders if it's because they were both bought on closeout.

In any event, I called around to repair/alteration places around town. After a few calls, I found one that would work with Spandex. I dropped off both pieces, along with some old bibs to use as sacrificial patch material, and was charged a whopping $35. I told them that didn't want or expect them to look like new, but I guess we'll see what's what when I pick them up in a week. Frankly, I'm thinking that something along the lines of the Japanese wabi-sabi or kintsukuroi would be cool. *shrug*

The Korean ladies who run the tailoring operations at the cleaning shops around here are highly skilled and can fix anything for a substantial price. Most recent thing I had done was darning up all the road rash on my Ibex wool jacket after that hit & run, back in 2020.

MoAlpha 08-16-22 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22612642)
AJ's ain't messin'! I think they've got Walmart beat for Halloween lead time.

Walter Reed commissary had halloween candy out two weeks ago. I hear shortages are expected.

LesterOfPuppets 08-16-22 02:52 PM

First bike out of the box today, and....

Its brakes are wired up British style

#mondays

bampilot06 08-16-22 02:53 PM

garmin rally power meter pedals ordered.

thanks whyfi.

genejockey 08-16-22 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22612628)
Titillating!

She likes to stay abreast of the news.

WhyFi 08-16-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22612658)
garmin rally power meter pedals ordered.

thanks whyfi.

:bday:

Mojo31 08-16-22 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22612659)
She likes to stay abreast of the news.

It's good when she can nip it in the bud.

bampilot06 08-16-22 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22612662)
:bday:

Ordering to conti gp 5000 from bike closet 25 mm for the ritchey as well.

With the power meter installed, and the tires I plan on riding the ritchey more. Leaning towards superteam wheels for it xmas time.

WhyFi 08-16-22 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22612706)
Ordering to conti gp 5000 from bike closet 25 mm for the ritchey as well.

With the power meter installed, and the tires I plan on riding the ritchey more. Leaning towards superteam wheels for it xmas time.

Wait, am I supposed to be telling you that one or more of these purchases is stupid? I always forget. I would hate to fall asleep on the job.

bampilot06 08-16-22 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22612714)
Wait, am I supposed to be telling you that one or more of these purchases is stupid? I always forget. I would hate to fall asleep on the job.

Well in the end I did what you recommended

WhyFi 08-16-22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22612757)
Well in the end I did what you recommended

Well, that was stupid.

Mojo31 08-16-22 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22612761)
Well, that was stupid.

You know, you may be able to profit off that blind obedience.

DougRNS 08-16-22 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22612597)

in honor of rpenman:

"a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two or more alternatives, especially equally undesirable ones."

I think it was an unfortunate situation but does not meet the definition of dilemma.

BTW, sorry about your run in with the truck. I hope you progress swiftly from this point forward.

DougRNS 08-16-22 05:44 PM

It flew away

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...abb9b4c7f6.jpg

Bah Humbug 08-16-22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22612606)

I did that with my toothbrush in my hand once.

I was 8.

big john 08-16-22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22612638)
That ****'s been happening to me for 50 years!

It got worse for me the last few years I was working. Put something down and 2 minutes later it's vanished. I had a plastic cart I could roll around to the cars I was working on and I tried to make a habit of putting everything on the cart instead of under the hood or a nearby work bench.

Losing tools is part of the job but it sucks if you lose $60 or $70 worth of tools on a job you made $12 or $15 on.

Electronic throttle controls meant spending more time under the dash and when a $50 socket rolls under the seat you don't see it when the job is done. It's cool the next day if you look for something and remember where you last used it and that car is still there.