Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Don't be that guy... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1235150)

Milton Keynes 07-21-21 10:39 AM

Don't be that guy...

shelbyfv 07-21-21 11:42 AM

Sup Larry! Cheez!!:beer:

Wildwood 07-21-21 11:46 AM

Missed the State on the truck's plate.

These kinds of people are almost always quite easy to ride away from.
Unless it is a e-dude bike.
E-dude bikes with music, with tires wide enough for 20psi, with no lycra - have never invaded my peloton.

clear your bars..... and your Mind will follow.

veganbikes 07-21-21 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 22151688)
Missed the State on the truck's plate.

These kinds of people are almost always quite easy to ride away from.
Unless it is a e-dude bike.
E-dude bikes with music, with tires wide enough for 20psi, with no lycra - have never invaded my peloton.

clear your bars..... and your Mind will follow.

Hey I slightly represent that remark but I am generally only playing music when commuting and generally not commuting on bike paths and I am far away from people pretty quick if I encounter them which isn't that often especially at the times I ride. When I am riding my regular bikes I tend to avoid blasting music.

SoSmellyAir 07-21-21 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22151562)

How about straight from my iPhone? Just kidding, got to keep both ears on my surroundings.

MarcusT 07-21-21 10:09 PM

So, is the problem with the tunes or the guy screaming continually?

rsbob 07-21-21 11:39 PM

Couldn’t handle more than 10 seconds and had to shut it off. Argh

Inusuit 07-22-21 04:07 PM

Reminds me of a story my grandpa told about working as a logger in the Pacific Northwest. New guy shows up with a transistor radio, turns it on full blast, and sets it on a stump. Old time logger takes a look, fires up his saw and drops a 40 foot Douglas Fir right on the radio.

Milton Keynes 07-22-21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MarcusT (Post 22152535)
So, is the problem with the tunes or the guy screaming continually?

Both, I'd say. Sure, the screaming was over the top, but I've been on rides when people had bluetooth speakers running, and it was a bit annoying. I didn't stay near them for long. If you must listen to music, use headphones.

zandoval 07-22-21 06:03 PM

Eric F 07-22-21 06:26 PM

There's a guy who does some of the local go-fast roadie group rides who has music playing from his phone in his jersey pocket. It's kind of odd. Last time, however, he was playing some reggae. I kind of enjoyed it for a moment.

drlogik 07-22-21 06:41 PM

I'm not a fan open of radios when riding. I always ride with music, but it's with my Aftershokz headphones.

These new modern day Bluetooth radios pale in comparison to the Boomboxes of yesteryear. Boomboxes had style, pizzazz and shtick. They made a statement about the person. They were also really F'n LOUD!!

These Bluetooth radios today are lame...and I have one too. It's the portable-rechargable "stereo" in my little British Sports car. I love it, but it has no soul.

This was the real deal:

indyfabz 07-22-21 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 22153722)
I'm not a fan open of radios when riding. I always ride with music, but it's with my Aftershokz headphones.

These new modern day Bluetooth radios pale in comparison to the Boomboxes of yesteryear. Boomboxes had style, pizzazz and shtick. They made a statement about the person. They were also really F'n LOUD!!

These Bluetooth radios today are lame...and I have one too. It's the portable-rechargable "stereo" in my little British Sports car. I love it, but it has no soul.

This was the real deal:

https://youtu.be/e84hf5aUmNA

Tina Weymouth and Grand Master Flash.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d1b713696.jpeg

drlogik 07-22-21 07:58 PM

Yes!!! Lol!

Korina 07-22-21 08:25 PM

Anyone annoyed by those hubs that sound like an entire swarm of angry murder hornets?

Outrider1 07-23-21 02:25 AM

Nice pull on the BOC!

PrettyCurious 07-24-21 09:55 AM

Oh no! I just got one!
I am still adapting though. I have to wear ear plugs if it's windy out, or if I am riding. So I may as well wear head phones.
but if I am going slow and there's no wind, a speaker seams like it would be ok, as along as I am by myself there no bad words, in case I come across someone.

csport 07-24-21 10:26 AM

Making bears aware of his presence.

fredlord 07-24-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by PrettyCurious (Post 22155769)
Oh no! I just got one!
I am still adapting though. I have to wear ear plugs if it's windy out, or if I am riding. So I may as well wear head phones.
but if I am going slow and there's no wind, a speaker seams like it would be ok, as along as I am by myself there no bad words, in case I come across someone.

You wear headphones when riding a bike?

fettsvenska 07-24-21 04:54 PM

I'm usually riding too early in the morning to cross paths with these guys. However, during the downhill ski season there are always several of these guys on the slopes blasting some foul flavor of audio tripe. I wish that the ski hill where I go would disallow them.

PrettyCurious 07-25-21 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by fredlord (Post 22156070)
You wear headphones when riding a bike?

Well, I think ear buds may be the better description.
Mine are old school, a necklace with wires because I can't get the hang of those odd looking wireless buds with no buttons I can feel to turn them off.
Like I said, I have to have something in my ears anyway, so it may as well play music. I ride on the paved roads much, only to get to the dirt ones, and I don't play music when riding on a paved road.

freeranger 07-25-21 06:39 AM

Saw "that guy" on the mup yesterday. Problem was, I'd pass him and get far enough past that I wouldn't hear his "music". But his pace was just perfect that if I stopped for a drink that he'd be there, and I'd have to take off at a quick pace to pass and get far enough for peace and quiet again. Guess that's one way to make me do intervals!!

identity 07-26-21 01:55 AM

I'm lucky to have never seen this guy.

indyfabz 07-26-21 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by freeranger (Post 22156671)
Saw "that guy" on the mup yesterday. Problem was, I'd pass him and get far enough past that I wouldn't hear his "music". But his pace was just perfect that if I stopped for a drink that he'd be there, and I'd have to take off at a quick pace to pass and get far enough for peace and quiet again. Guess that's one way to make me do intervals!!

There was a recent thread on (not) stopping to drink. Might want to check it out. :D

Rdmonster69 07-26-21 08:40 AM

I think if the volume is not so loud its not a big deal. Most people need to lighten up. If it's blasting NWA while you pass the preschool playground then that's not cool but otherwise to each their own.

I wear ear buds so no one gets bothered.