Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What scares me about Canyon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1287663)

TakingMyTime 01-17-24 09:50 AM

What scares me about Canyon

I've had my 2023 Endurace SLX for about 4 months. I couldn't be happier with the bike. The whole process of buying it, communication with Canyon etc was excellent.

What scares me is the lack of accessories and spare/replacement parts that are available for my bike. Fortunately I haven't been in the position where a critical part needs replacing but... if I was to develope a crack or defect in my 1 piece cockpit/handlebar setup they don't have any available in the USA. I could not get a replacment derailleur hanger if I needed one. Here in the US none of the seatposts are avaialbe, but in France I can take my pick. There's just a variety of parts than can't be obtained here in the US. If you go to any of their European sites you can have your pick of the litter. Here in the US the best you can expect is "Coming Soon".

jadmt 01-17-24 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime (Post 23131709)
I've had my 2023 Endurace SLX for about 4 months. I couldn't be happier with the bike. The whole process of buying it, communication with Canyon etc was excellent.

What scares me is the lack of accessories and spare/replacement parts that are available for my bike. Fortunately I haven't been in the position where a critical part needs replacing but... if I was to develope a crack or defect in my 1 piece cockpit/handlebar setup they don't have any available in the USA. I could not get a replacment derailleur hanger if I needed one. Here in the US none of the seatposts are avaialbe, but in France I can take my pick. There's just a variety of parts than can't be obtained here in the US. If you go to any of their European sites you can have your pick of the litter. Here in the US the best you can expect is "Coming Soon".

yup and many parts are specific to Canyon. Probably fine if you live in Europe but in the US not so great. I needed a top cap for my stem and not available....I spent over an hour on the phone with Canyon support and they told me to contact ACROS he supplies the headsets and ACROS was very quick with a reply.....we don't supply that part you need to contact Canyon............I want a spare rear derailleur hanger and not available in the US and has not been available for 7 months it just says coming soon. I wanted a longer stem nope not from Canyon....longest they sell in the US is 100mm and in europe you can get 120mm...I have found if you email Canyon it says you will hear back shortly and I have never gotten a response back answering my question. they only response back is a "how did we do?" I also like my bike but if I had to do it over would get a bike actually sold in a bike shop. I am on a Canyon forum and sure a lot of cracked frames and if that happens I doubt I will get taken care of.

Bald Paul 01-17-24 10:05 AM

It's definitely something to consider anytime you're planning on purchasing a bike. Proprietary parts may be available, maybe not. What about in 5 years? If you can't get a replacement derailleur hanger, seat post clamp, or other minor part it pretty much means you have to get a new bike, or at least a new frame and then swap over everything you can.

Rick 01-17-24 10:08 AM

I don't see any problem here. I have a Rohloff equipped belt drive bicycle. When I need parts and they aren't available in the USA, I order them from Germany. I wanted the lefty Rohloff shifter a few years ago and nobody had it in stock here. I made an order with two sets of tires, the Rohloff lefty shifter and an extra lefty grip. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I sometimes order from England also. As long as you don't order enough parts to run a business, exceed 800 dollars very often than customs lets it through without any extra costs.

jadmt 01-17-24 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 23131725)
I don't see any problem here. I have a Rohloff equipped belt drive bicycle. When I need parts and they aren't available in the USA, I order them from Germany. I wanted the lefty Rohloff shifter a few years ago and nobody had it in stock here. I made an order with two sets of tires, the Rohloff lefty shifter and an extra lefty grip. It took a couple of weeks to arrive. I sometimes order from England also. As long as you don't order enough parts to run a business, exceed 800 dollars very often than customs lets it through without any extra costs.

yea shipping on $19.95 hanger is $199..... I have tried to order from other markets from Canyon and shipping is insane....

laxpatrick 01-17-24 10:14 AM

Yeah, I've had my Endurace SLX Red Etap since 2018 - and it's been absolutely SUPERB. Great value, no issues.

I guess if I needed something I'd ask a buddy in Europe to get it for me - or heck been long enough that I could make a run at convincing SWMBO that I need a new bike, right???

Chain smoker 01-17-24 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 23131728)
yea shipping on $19.95 hanger is $199..... I have tried to order from other markets from Canyon and shipping is insane....

Yes $220.00 is insane for a derailleur hanger but it’s cheaper than a whole new bike. :)

mstateglfr 01-17-24 10:56 AM

Yeah, Canyon in the US is quite the case study in risk, from a consumer side and brand side.

- Canyon US options are often limited compared to Europe. Its been so long that it is no longer excusable by saying 'well they are just getting started here' and it is clearly intentional.
- Canyon US has had incredible deals on various bikes over the last 4 years, even when prices were skyrocketing, there were some Canyon US bikes that were priced at a level that would have been a good deal pre-pandemic.
- Canyon US consistently has little to no convenient options for customizing fit or replacing damaged proprietary components.
- Canyon US inventory is constantly feast of famine. Nothing on the large side of things then suddenly a glut of larger bikes. Nothing on the small side of things, then suddenly a glut of smaller bikes, but only in some models. Wash rinse repeat. Inventory smoothing doesnt seem to exist in the US.
- Canyon as an overall brand loves to design and market features that are cool looking, but limit user fit and cost a lot to change, even in Europe.

Its fascinating- consumers have to weigh risk vs reward on their end. Great pricing vs questionable fit. Great pricing vs limited replacement options. Despite continued complaints about lack of inventory and lack of fit options, US Canyon bikes keep selling so clearly the pricing outweighs risk for enough people to not motivate Canyon to change.

pdlamb 01-17-24 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by laxpatrick (Post 23131731)
Yeah, I've had my Endurace SLX Red Etap since 2018 - and it's been absolutely SUPERB. Great value, no issues.

I guess if I needed something I'd ask a buddy in Europe to get it for me - or heck been long enough that I could make a run at convincing SWMBO that I need a new bike, right???

TransAtlantic air fare might be cheaper than a new bike. Just sayin'...

I'm sure this is a personal decision, but when do the disadvantages of proprietary parts outweigh the convenience and short-term savings of buy a complete bike?

jadmt 01-17-24 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 23131778)
TransAtlantic air fare might be cheaper than a new bike. Just sayin'...

I'm sure this is a personal decision, but when do the disadvantages of proprietary parts outweigh the convenience and short-term savings of buy a complete bike?

for me it was as soon as I needed a seemingly common part. I have one Canyon and I like it a lot but I won't get a second one. I have already forgotten about the $600-700 I saved but the bad taste of not being able to source what should be common replacement parts still lingers....

Troul 01-17-24 11:14 AM

This is one of the few reasons why i went with Trek.

genejockey 01-17-24 01:06 PM

Submitted without comment

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4db423d147.png

urbanknight 01-17-24 02:19 PM

I am starting to shy away from bikes with proprietary parts for that exact reason (took me almost a year to find a setback D-Fuse seatpost, and I paid MSRP to get a Giant stem that was compatible with the weird faceplate braking system). If others vote with their dollars to favor bikes that use universal parts, they will be made available. If everyone buys specialty stuff, you'll just have to deal with that just like owning a car. Speaking of cars, perhaps we need a law requiring manufacturers to offer replacement parts for a minimum of 10 years?

Pratt 01-17-24 02:21 PM

Pdlamb has, as usual, an excellent suggestion, a trip to Europe!
Go, cycle famous climbs, Paris-Brest-Paris, historic river valleys, what ever suits your fancy. All the while, buying up used Canyons and some parts. Make friends (Amies) with a local bike shop, et voila! You can pay for the trip selling the used parts and make a modest profit as a middle man importing others via your new friend.

Rick 01-17-24 02:36 PM

And I thought my Rohloff spares were expensive. I order spares such as tires, cables etc at the same time I order Rohloff specific parts. The shipping Isn't a problem this way.

jadmt 01-17-24 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 23131898)

i need this one
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f59f77d0e4.png

mstateglfr 01-17-24 03:24 PM

Submitted without comment

Facts have no place in a thread like this!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a25522a449.gif

Polaris OBark 01-17-24 03:44 PM

If only someone would invent a universal derailleur hanger.

pdlamb 01-17-24 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark (Post 23132042)
If only someone would invent a universal derailleur hanger.

Interesting that Canyon is a European "manufacturer" when us 'murkans depended on Europe to mandate USB-C charger interfaces for Apple products.

TakingMyTime 01-17-24 04:58 PM

That wasn't there a week ago. When I'm on Canyon's site and "My Garage" and search for bike specific parts availability it wasn't there. Thanks!

TakingMyTime 01-17-24 04:59 PM

I have a brother that frequently stays in Paris. I've considered having them sent to his apartment and then having him bring them back into the country.

Regardless, spare parts in the US with Canyon is a hit and miss proposition.

SoSmellyAir 01-17-24 06:47 PM

Canyon may be taking this to an extreme, but more and more bikes come with proprietary seat posts, steerers, headset spacers, stems, etc. Given that I am so fiddly with my position when a bike is new, I wish more bikes that are not intended for the sharp end of races come with standardized versions of these components. I am perfectly happy with cables and hoses running directly from handlebar to downtube, bypassing the stem, steerer, headset, and headtube.

Polaris OBark 01-17-24 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 23132046)
Interesting that Canyon is a European "manufacturer" when us 'murkans depended on Europe to mandate USB-C charger interfaces for Apple products.

Even though I am not a SRAM-fan, I think ultimately this is for the greater good. The fact that there were no standards is crazy. (I am an Apple fanboi, but their connectors and dongles are a low-point. I have a box of various Apple dongles dating back to firewire and VGA. It is just a pile of e-waste now.)

Mtracer 01-17-24 07:40 PM

It's this type of thing that has me buying bikes from my local Trek dealer. If I really needed it, they would pull something off a stock bike to get me going. I don't think that has happened, but they have certainly opened a box to pull something out that otherwise would take a long time to get.

The potential for a delay in supply is one reason I make sure to order a derailleur hanger when I get a new bike. Of course, there are plenty of other custom parts, but a hanger is one of those things designed to fail and may need to be replaced and is often very specific to a given bike.

In general, I'm more then willing to pay a premium to get better service and support. For me it's just not worth getting a good deal, if it means taking a risk if something goes south.

Steve B. 01-17-24 07:43 PM

I do pay attention to purchasing bikes that have a minimal amount of proprietary parts, like odd shapes and sized seatposts and I always want a BSA bottom bracket. As well Canyons use of one part stem/bars is just dumb, if hot looking. But they don’t give you many options, so maybe don’t go that route. If you have the one piece thing, you can change it to a standard separate bar and stem if needed. I have a Chinese frame, I don’t have a spare derailer hanger, I probably should but the bike is 8 years old already and I’ve never needed it so it’s way down on the list of things to worry about.