Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Never Challenge a Cycling Chick (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=793127)

PatKendall 01-18-12 10:52 AM

Never Challenge a Cycling Chick

Here's an article I wrote for our Memphis Hightailers' newsletter. Thought my fellow "old guys" might enjoy it.

I'm an old guy (I'll hit 64 in March) and a relative newbie to cycling. I just completed my second year.

Last spring, during a moment of early onset dementia, I challenged Patricia, a fellow Hightailer and longtime friend, to a mileage contest. "Tell you what," I said with great hormonal confidence, "If you can put in more miles than I do this year, my wife and I will take you and your husband to dinner. If I ride more, you two can take us out.

Little did I know what a featherbrained proposal I'd made. I had forgotten that Patricia was a college athlete and I had never seem much of her competitive side. But the "race" was on.

We tracked our mileage on Bikejournal.com. While I consistently denied to her that it mattered, there were few days during the year that I didn't check the journal. She loved to jab me by email every time she pulled ahead. It was neck and neck throughout the year.

When she joined the century training team, what could I do? I joined too. I couldn't let a "girl" beat me and she couldn't let an "old guy" beat her. I put on more miles than I'd like to admit simply because this young lady was ahead of me or I was ahead of her only by a gray whisker. And I whined throughout the year to my wife about our mutual friend, "You need to encourage Patricia to have more respect for the elderly!"

We had our celebration banquet just a few days ago. It was just the four of us, but it was complete with jokes, jabs, plaques and congratulatory cards. I won't tell you who won, but I will tell you that the one-on-one competition along with the century team took my cycling to a whole new level. Year one I rode 2,700 miles. Last year it was over 4,200. While that's not especially high mileage for a cycling enthusiast, it was quite a feat for me.

Would you like to ride more this year? Track your miles on Bikejournal.com. Take advantage of group rides and events. Join the century training team. But (guys, watch my lips) whatever you do, never challenge a cycling chick!

PatW 01-18-12 11:10 AM

If my calculations are correct, your little competition boosted your mileage by 1,500 miles (last year's mileage of 4,200 minus the baseline mileage of 2,700 equals 1,500). That comes out to about 100 hours of additional cycling assuming that you ride an average of 15 mph. Even if you ended up paying for the dinner, I don't think you could be termed as "losing" the competition. But then again, I consider miles to be an end in themselves. You should post a photo of you and your nemesis.

Good work,

Pat

DX-MAN 01-18-12 11:57 AM

No-lose situation.

Dudelsack 01-18-12 02:31 PM

Cycle Chicks rule. I wouldn't mess with them.

GFish 01-18-12 03:25 PM

Nice story and good message. Don't know any cycling chicks, but wish I did.

Condorita 01-18-12 04:43 PM

In other words, you got whupped.

PatKendall 01-18-12 11:28 PM

Here's the cycling chick

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the photo you asked for...her husband--a good friend (left), me (center) and the "cycling chick"--a great lady.

I can't believe you would assume I lost!

10 Wheels 01-18-12 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by PatKendall (Post 13738338)
Here's the photo you asked for...her husband--a good friend (left), me (center) and the "cycling chick"--a great lady.

Nice post Pat...

DGlenday 01-19-12 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by PatKendall (Post 13738338)

Yep - you lost :P

LOL

Good mileage - I wish I could make the time to get close to that.

Sixty Fiver 01-19-12 01:20 AM

So... how much did dinner cost you ?

:)

PatKendall 01-19-12 09:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe it's more fun it you don't know who won. Here's my plaque. If you only knew how many miles were on hers... :D

Garfield Cat 01-19-12 09:39 AM

You're 64 but how old is Patricia?

bigbadwullf 01-19-12 10:11 AM

My regular riding group has 4-5 women. They keep you on your toes and are blast to ride with. We have such a great riding group. Can't wait for the spring! Until then I hit the mountain bike, usually alone :(
And I thought I did good hitting 1,000 miles last year. Yikes.

overthehillmedi 01-19-12 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver (Post 13738517)
So... how much did dinner cost you ?

:)

I was wondering what the wine bill was (note; wine not whine) :)

Daspydyr 01-19-12 11:22 AM

I have been dropped by female riders for the last 20 years. Its great to see them on the bikes. Great fun story and nice picture. Bikers are solid people.

PatKendall 01-19-12 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat (Post 13739451)
You're 64 but how old is Patricia?

You want me to ask a lady her age?!?! Just cuz I ride a bike doesn't mean I have a death wish! :eek: You guys are a hoot!

:) Just a guess--12 to 15 years younger?

DGlenday 01-19-12 03:40 PM

We still want to know how much the dinner cost you!

missjean 01-19-12 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by PatKendall (Post 13735395)

Well, duh!!

;)

Sixty Fiver 01-19-12 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by PatKendall (Post 13740443)

:) Just a guess--12 to 15 years younger?

More like 30 ?

:D

BlazingPedals 01-19-12 07:06 PM

So, you thought she was an easy mark because she was a girl? Shame on you. It sounds like you had a fun time, though.

DnvrFox 01-19-12 07:24 PM

FYI - BikejourNal.com - not Bikejoural.com - lots of folks are going to click on a non-existent URL.

Congrats on the increase in mileage. And you are not anywhere near an "old guy"

PatKendall 01-20-12 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 13741996)
FYI - BikejourNal.com - not Bikejoural.com - lots of folks are going to click on a non-existent URL.

Congrats on the increase in mileage. And you are not anywhere near an "old guy"

I want to be just like you when I grow up!

CbadRider 01-20-12 10:42 AM

I need to find an "old guy" in my neighborhood to challenge. :P

az_cyclist 01-20-12 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by CbadRider (Post 13744101)
I need to find an "old guy" in my neighborhood to challenge. :P

:lol: :D

overthehillmedi 01-20-12 12:23 PM

Cbad, you might want to change neighbourhoods then, I hear there's an easy mark in Memphis. :lol: