Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

BillyD 05-31-22 04:02 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22526150)
Anyone who has taken an old style antihistamine like Benadryl or any motion sickness prevention medication, for instance, has experience with anticholinergic drugs.

Is Benadryl dangerous for old people? Asking for a friend.

BillyD 05-31-22 04:14 PM

I had a PSMA scan today. Technician wanted me to be able to hold my arms above my head, without moving, for 30 mins during the scan. There’s no way my arms would have lasted more than 10 minutes without falling asleep and going numb. We used the alternate arm position instead.

Last week I had an abdominal aorta ultrasound, last month it was a colonoscopy, tomorrow I visit my ophthalmologist.

#roughpatch

bampilot06 05-31-22 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22526466)
Is Benadryl dangerous for old people? Asking for a friend.


I think I heard it can be linked to dementia, but iím noooooo doctor.

bampilot06 05-31-22 04:17 PM

Was in dallas for a total of 24 hours exactly. Did not stop at one Bucces for a restroom break or buccees merchandise.

big john 05-31-22 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22526086)
Yup. We LIKE them that way!

p.s. here is one of my favorites. It's listed as 10.5% but the last 1/4 mile kicks up to something around 15%.
​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/580243

I rode through the Ozarks. The hills are old and worn down and the roads are old and just slapped on the hills without much grading or blasting. It was fun.
Here is a climb I did in California. Had a little nausea until I stopped. Had a scare on the way back down when the road seemed to drop away and I thought I was going to get big air. It shows a dirt section but we went around it.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39635287
Here is me on the lower slopes of that climb.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...910f84ced4.jpg

DougRNS 05-31-22 04:31 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22526466)
Is Benadryl dangerous for old people? Asking for a friend.

What are you supposed to take for allergies? I stopped taking my allergy medicine last week since it is ineffective and I don't like the associated drowsiness. My pain med also causes drowsiness so I don't want to lose my razor sharp wit and my quick thinking. It is also mostly ineffective.
#GettingOldIsNotForSissies

DougRNS 05-31-22 04:36 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22526478)
I had a PSMA scan today. Technician wanted me to be able to hold my arms above my head, without moving, for 30 mins during the scan. Thereís no way my arms would have lasted more than 10 minutes without falling asleep and going numb. We used the alternate arm position instead.

Last week I had an abdominal aorta ultrasound, last month it was a colonoscopy, tomorrow I visit my ophthalmologist.

#roughpatch

Hang in there.:hug:

datlas 05-31-22 04:37 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22526466)
Is Benadryl dangerous for old people? Asking for a friend.

Dangerous is probably an over-statement, but better to avoid it if you can. See below.

datlas 05-31-22 04:38 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22526500)
What are you supposed to take for allergies? I stopped taking my allergy medicine last week since it is ineffective and I don't like the associated drowsiness. My pain med also causes drowsiness so I don't want to lose my razor sharp wit and my quick thinking. It is also mostly ineffective.
#GettingOldIsNotForSissies

The non-sedating OTC allergy medicines like claritin/allegra/zyrtec, or their equivalent generics, are likely nearly as effective as Benadryl and less "dangerous." That's one reason why they went OTC, so people can get them easier.

BillyD 05-31-22 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22526416)
Nothing...until you're, like, 82 yo and can't remember your back teeth...or see...or pee on the stuff. Or you're like me and get the drowsies for 24 hrs after 25 mg.

Got it. Iíll pass it on to my old friend.

Mojo31 05-31-22 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22526486)
Was in dallas for a total of 24 hours exactly. Did not stop at one Bucces for a restroom break or buccees merchandise.

You don't call, you don't write . . ..

😪

BillyD 05-31-22 04:55 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22526493)
I rode through the Ozarks. The hills are old and worn down and the roads are old and just slapped on the hills without much grading or blasting. It was fun.
Here is a climb I did in California. Had a little nausea until I stopped. Had a scare on the way back down when the road seemed to drop away and I thought I was going to get big air. It shows a dirt section but we went around it.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39635287
Here is me on the lower slopes of that climb.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...910f84ced4.jpg

Best climbing photo evar. :thumb:

DougRNS 05-31-22 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22526507)
The non-sedating OTC allergy medicines like claritin/allegra/zyrtec, or their equivalent generics, are likely nearly as effective as Benadryl and less "dangerous." That's one reason why they went OTC, so people can get them easier.

I've tried Allegra per your recommendation a year or two ago and it didn't dry me out. I also have been on clariton and same results. Zyrtec causes drowsiness for me but does work better. I just got 10 mg dose of zyrtec but am holding off taking it for now. I tried the children's dose of 5mg and it was not the answer either. This is why Doug's don't do drugs.

bampilot06 05-31-22 05:01 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22526519)
You don't call, you don't write . . ..

😪


You know I thought about reaching out to you to see if you wanted to pick me up from the airport and take me to aspen creek for dinner, but rule number one dictates I donít make plans. If I didnít make this flight I was going to reach out. I promise.

BillyD 05-31-22 05:05 PM


Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22526500)
My pain med also causes drowsiness so I don't want to lose my razor sharp wit and my quick thinking.
#GettingOldIsNotForSissies

Heavens no, we canít have that.

Trsnrtr 05-31-22 05:06 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22526478)
I had a PSMA scan today. Technician wanted me to be able to hold my arms above my head, without moving, for 30 mins during the scan. There’s no way my arms would have lasted more than 10 minutes without falling asleep and going numb. We used the alternate arm position instead.



I’m supposed to get the latest PSMA PET scan in July. My checkups have been increased from quarterly to bi-monthly due to my latest blood tests.

Anyway, that arms over the head thing is unbearable.

Trsnrtr 05-31-22 05:11 PM

I take low dose oxybutynin twice a day to help with hormone problems. I’ve often wondered if it was really helping. Maybe I’ll quit since it’s one of those nasty drug thingies y’all are talking about.

seedsbelize2 05-31-22 05:14 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22526396)
K-Town is under a Boomer Alert! Wouldn't be surprised if DougRNS has arrived for the show.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...52530a5de.jpeg

It's sad to see the old rockers reduced to playing second and third rate venues.

seedsbelize2 05-31-22 05:15 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22526404)
It's a bit sedating so might not be good to use daily. Especially for the elderly. That said, I have some patients with insomnia who take this every night to sleep. I tell them it's not good for them, but probably only a little bad.

I only ever take it for bee and wasp stings. It's good to know it has other uses. I should keep a little stash around.

genejockey 05-31-22 05:19 PM

Average day.
Wordle 346 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 05-31-22 05:32 PM

I just got home with 32 mangoes picked up off the ground. I have no business being here because these won't keep overnight. Some will be wormy, some half rotten. Some will be dried but the bulk of them will be frozen, for adding to smoothies. They come from a small property we don't live on but bought because we liked it. Unaware as we were of the mango stash it holds every year. Mango season followed by hurricane season. If only mango season lasted as long.

abshipp 05-31-22 05:45 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22525746)
:lol: You guys are so dramatic about your little hills.

IKR?


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22526086)
Yup. We LIKE them that way!

p.s. here is one of my favorites. It's listed as 10.5% but the last 1/4 mile kicks up to something around 15%.
​​​​​​https://www.strava.com/segments/580243

I wonder if you would like Green River Cove. 17 switchbacks at 7.5% average but the turns are generally in the mid to high teens percentage wise.


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22526037)
600 EX was the 6207 generation that came after the 6200 "Arabesque". "Tricolor" was 6400.

I've got a full 6200 groupset that I occasionally want to offload but it's just so pretty :love:

Unfortunately I need to figure out how to rebuild the freehub body on the rear hub after it got ruined on a rainy 200k :(

datlas 05-31-22 06:28 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22526586)



I wonder if you would like Green River Cove. 17 switchbacks at 7.5% average but the turns are generally in the mid to high teens percentage wise.

Iíd hit it.

BillyD 05-31-22 06:53 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22526543)
Iím supposed to get the latest PSMA PET scan in July. My checkups have been increased from quarterly to bi-monthly due to my latest blood tests. :(

Damn.

Mojo31 05-31-22 07:05 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22526533)
You know I thought about reaching out to you to see if you wanted to pick me up from the airport and take me to aspen creek for dinner, but rule number one dictates I donít make plans. If I didnít make this flight I was going to reach out. I promise.

I likely would have done that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.