Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

bampilot06 06-11-22 03:29 AM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0d06ad0d7.jpeg

datlas 06-11-22 04:17 AM

Time to ride!

Trsnrtr 06-11-22 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22537801)
Time to ride!

Darn, there goes my climbing leadership.

seedsbelize2 06-11-22 06:05 AM

5/6
174 this morning.
I'm hatching a plan to ride 70 miles in my birthday week, ending five weeks from yesterday.
The plan entails doing it in a 24 hour period of time, rather than straight through. If the weather wasn't such a factor.... But it is just too damn hot to be out riding between 11 and 5. And I ride slower than I ever have. If I can keep my weight down, I may be able to ride a little faster.

seedsbelize2 06-11-22 06:17 AM

The last thing I want is another string of injuries, beginning with one caused by over-riding.
I feel good I feel great I feel wonderful, relatively speaking.
Finally.

MoAlpha 06-11-22 06:56 AM

So strange that no matter how many times I drop plumb lines, stretch tapes, etc., I can’t find the source of the clear difference in reach on my two main bikes.

big john 06-11-22 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22537875)
So strange that no matter how many times I drop plumb lines, stretch tapes, etc., I can’t find the source of the clear difference in reach on my two main bikes.

I've had similar experience trying to copy position from one bike to another.

Wordle 357 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

seedsbelize2 06-11-22 07:41 AM

Mine is the result of stem length. I keep the Paramount set up for Bob, who visits from Maine for a month each year. He really prefers a 63 cm frame, and this is a 61/62(whatever Schwinn called it). I prefer a 60. The stem is a compromise that we both can ride in relative comfort
Edit: And if I pass to the other side ahead of Bob, the bike is his to keep for when he visits Mexico. We have mutual friends close by.

genejockey 06-11-22 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22537875)

That's why I ended up using the wall and the floor as fixed reference points. No plumb lines. I also have a 1/2 inch dowel, which I put on the hoods at the point where the web of my thumb would be, held in place by rubber bands. Then I measure from the center of the dowel to the back of the saddle (helps that 5 of the bikes have the same saddle).

But, yeah. Matching seems to have become more difficult. Years ago, I had the Ritchey fitted and I left it that way for a decade. Then I bought the Bianchi, and matched it as best I could. Then I took the Ritchey apart to be repainted, so the Bianchi had to be the reference when setting up the Battaglin, and rebuilding the Ritchey. Then I got the Canyon, and I thought I set it up the same, but it turns out the saddle is maybe as much as a cm higher than the others. Feels that way when I first start riding it, but I get used to it. And it's still the fastest bike. Now I'm trying to get the Litespeed to match it. We'll see.

datlas 06-11-22 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22537819)
Darn, there goes my climbing leadership.

No worries, it was a flat route.

MoAlpha 06-11-22 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22537890)
I've had similar experience trying to copy position from one bike to another.

Wordle 357 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22537903)
Mine is the result of stem length. I keep the Paramount set up for Bob, who visits from Maine for a month each year. He really prefers a 63 cm frame, and this is a 61/62(whatever Schwinn called it). I prefer a 60. The stem is a compromise that we both can ride in relative comfort
Edit: And if I pass to the other side ahead of Bob, the bike is his to keep for when he visits Mexico. We have mutual friends close by.

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22537946)
That's why I ended up using the wall and the floor as fixed reference points. No plumb lines. I also have a 1/2 inch dowel, which I put on the hoods at the point where the web of my thumb would be, held in place by rubber bands. Then I measure from the center of the dowel to the back of the saddle (helps that 5 of the bikes have the same saddle).

But, yeah. Matching seems to have become more difficult. Years ago, I had the Ritchey fitted and I left it that way for a decade. Then I bought the Bianchi, and matched it as best I could. Then I took the Ritchey apart to be repainted, so the Bianchi had to be the reference when setting up the Battaglin, and rebuilding the Ritchey. Then I got the Canyon, and I thought I set it up the same, but it turns out the saddle is maybe as much as a cm higher than the others. Feels that way when I first start riding it, but I get used to it. And it's still the fastest bike. Now I'm trying to get the Litespeed to match it. We'll see.

Just ordered a used stem 1cm shorter for the “long” bike. We’ll see if that helps.

bampilot06 06-11-22 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22537989)
Just ordered a used stem 1cm shorter for the “long” bike. We’ll see if that helps.

should have asked, I have two. a 100, and a 110. Would have mailed it.

indyfabz 06-11-22 09:56 AM

Covered bridge of the day.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09e02c22f.jpeg

datlas 06-11-22 10:00 AM

Towards the end of today's ride, about a mile from home, I saw a cyclist sitting on the side of the road with his front wheel off. I slowed down and asked "you ok??" he said yes but he was obviously not fixing his flat, so I stopped anyway.

He said he was leading a group of boy scouts who were riding and working on the cycling merit badge, but he had a flat towards the end of his ride and his wife (who was apparently on the ride) took his pump and would be coming back, eventually. I gave him my pump and said he could/should go ahead and fix his flat. I watched him work on the flat and bit my tongue several times, as he was doing several things wrong, and eventually I had to start giving him step-by-step instructions, it took him quite a bit of time but he was able to patch his tube. While he was playing with the tube I was able to find and extricate the culprit shard that had caused the flat, it had penetrated the Gatorskin's tread and was just barely poking through the casing. In these situations I find it wiser to remove the shard from the tread side to avoid cutting any more of the cords. I gave him all my secret tips on patching a tube and reinstalling a tire, I had to demonstrate the "roll the tire over the rim" technique but he was able to get it done.

#GoodDeedOfTheDay

Mojo31 06-11-22 10:01 AM

First dog bite today. 😠. Was with the police for almost an hour. Still haven’t learned if it’s had the rabies vaccine, and need to get a tetanus shot.

Little sh*t is hopefully hurting from a hard cleat to the face after the bite.

abshipp 06-11-22 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22537071)
I just ordered a pair of White because I'm a fancy boy and I'll be even fancier with laces. :p

What a coincidence, so did I :p

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8948d5d0db.jpg

Trsnrtr 06-11-22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22537967)
No worries, it was a flat route.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Your ride was over 4,000’ and mine was 600’. :lol:

LesterOfPuppets 06-11-22 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22538056)
Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Your ride was over 4,000’ and mine was 600’. :lol:

That's datlas flat.

LesterOfPuppets 06-11-22 10:55 AM

Record high low for this date. It only got down to 90°.

datlas 06-11-22 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22538009)
First dog bite today. 😠. Was with the police for almost an hour. Still haven’t learned if it’s had the rabies vaccine, and need to get a tetanus shot.

Little sh*t is hopefully hurting from a hard cleat to the face after the bite.

Ouch. Hope you heal up and I hope they find the owner so rabies is ruled out.

datlas 06-11-22 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22538059)
That's datlas flat.

Correct. If it's less than 100 feet/mile, it's datlas flat.

rjones28 06-11-22 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22538008)
Towards the end of today's ride, about a mile from home, I saw a cyclist sitting on the side of the road with his front wheel off. I slowed down and asked "you ok??" he said yes but he was obviously not fixing his flat, so I stopped anyway.

He said he was leading a group of boy scouts who were riding and working on the cycling merit badge, but he had a flat towards the end of his ride and his wife (who was apparently on the ride) took his pump and would be coming back, eventually. I gave him my pump and said he could/should go ahead and fix his flat. I watched him work on the flat and bit my tongue several times, as he was doing several things wrong, and eventually I had to start giving him step-by-step instructions, it took him quite a bit of time but he was able to patch his tube. While he was playing with the tube I was able to find and extricate the culprit shard that had caused the flat, it had penetrated the Gatorskin's tread and was just barely poking through the casing. In these situations I find it wiser to remove the shard from the tread side to avoid cutting any more of the cords. I gave him all my secret tips on patching a tube and reinstalling a tire, I had to demonstrate the "roll the tire over the rim" technique but he was able to get it done.

#GoodDeedOfTheDay

So, the Boy Scout leader was not prepared? The shame.

datlas 06-11-22 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22538083)
So, the Boy Scout leader was not prepared? The shame.

I did notice the irony, but did not want to joke about it to him. I am hopeful that next time he WILL be prepared.

WhyFi 06-11-22 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 22538033)

:love:

Mojo31 06-11-22 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22538067)
Ouch. Hope you heal up and I hope they find the owner so rabies is ruled out.

Confirmed vax'ed.

Next time I ride that way, that little sh*t may get a face full of pepper spray.

Just out of principal.