Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

t2p 06-12-22 11:25 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22538349)
Speaking of cassettes, it turns out I am even more of a cassette and chain hoarder than I thought I was. I have at least a half-dozen 10s cassettes that are NOT worn, along with about an equal number of unused 6701 10 speed chains. The cassettes are an equal mix of 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace. I will keep them since the Roubaix and CX bike are still set up with 10 speed, but I think I have more than I need.

I only have one 11s chain and ZERO 11 speed cassettes on the pegboard though. :twitchy:

at one point earlier this year Quality (QBP - bicycle parts distributor) had no 11spd chains in inventory
.
​​​

datlas 06-12-22 11:27 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22538776)
I got the vid. So far a nasty head ache, a stupid cough, and random chills.

Ugh. Most people only feel really bad for a couple of days. Hope you are feeling better asap.

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 11:29 AM

spoiler alert

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Ww&oe=62AA63F3

Porsche non-ass of the day

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 11:30 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22538827)
My wife and daughter left to go stay with her parents this morning, but before they went in they did a test and it came back positive so they are on their way back now. I think I got it from them. They had a “cold” before I went to work, and they didn’t have any contact with me when I came home last night.

I hope none of y'all catch a bad case. Hydrate thoroughly. plenty of hot liquids, order some pho!

t2p 06-12-22 11:33 AM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22538505)
The chain came out pretty easy in this case but falling on the rear derailleur ruined his ride.
One time I was waaayy back in the mountains when a friend got his chain stuck bad. I had a mini tool with an 8mm Allen and was able to loosen the crank bolt with my foot. Somehow that was enough to get the chain out.

in the early 90's for the first gen OCLV road frames, Trek supplied a large stainless steel 'washer' to install behind the drive side bottom bracket cup to prevent chain drops / suck from jamming and/or sawing through the frame

Trek did this after a number of reported incidents
.

t2p 06-12-22 11:48 AM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4e65250a0.jpeg

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22538920)
spoiler alert

https://scontent.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...Ww&oe=62AA63F3

Porsche non-ass of the day


WhyFi 06-12-22 11:49 AM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22538915)
Went out after the rain and wandered about on the CX bike. It was so much more work than the road bike. I even skipped my favorite climb because I was concerned I would not have a low enough gear to handle the steep sections. I estimate the bike “cost” in speed to be roughly 15-20%. That’s a high cost, and I am pretty sure it’s all rolling resistance from knobby tires. Weight and other variables are about the same as road bike.

I saw your comment about the tires on Strava. You should be good with a tire with minimal tread or possibly even slicks - you don't need the knobbies unless it's going to get really sloppy/muddy. IIRC, guys like Ted King stick with slicks/micro-tread, even for the big events, unless it's going to be wet.

WhyFi 06-12-22 11:50 AM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22538923)
...order some pho!

Yeah, but when isn't this a good idea? :D

big john 06-12-22 12:13 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22538925)
in the early 90's for the first gen OCLV road frames, Trek supplied a large stainless steel 'washer' to install behind the drive side bottom bracket cup to prevent chain drops / suck from jamming and/or sawing through the frame

Trek did this after a number of reported incidents
.

The bike that got really stuck was a Rivendell Atlantis. The guy would sometimes bring it on climbing rides and smoke nearly everyone. He said it was 28 pounds.

Mojo31 06-12-22 12:36 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22538944)

That your GT4?

Mojo31 06-12-22 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22538827)
My wife and daughter left to go stay with her parents this morning, but before they went in they did a test and it came back positive so they are on their way back now. I think I got it from them. They had a “cold” before I went to work, and they didn’t have any contact with me when I came home last night.

Hope you guys are better soon!

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 12:58 PM

New bar tape time for the Basso. I wonder how closely the Deda Mistral Floro Orange matches IRL. I have a feeling I should get basic black even if the orange did match well.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...04d56024b5.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ae3f80771.jpg

Bah Humbug 06-12-22 01:11 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22539020)
New bar tape time for the Basso. I wonder how closely the Deda Mistral Floro Orange matches IRL. I have a feeling I should get basic black even if the orange did match well.

Only the extended bit on the lower roll even looks orange. I suspect it would match pretty well... but not quite perfectly. Wouldn't do it without a backup black roll in case you hate it.

It might look good if it's close enough.

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 01:21 PM

Holy carp they've been getting some rain up in Vancouver, USA.

MUP submerged.

https://dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net...-2048x1826.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 01:32 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22539032)
Only the extended bit on the lower roll even looks orange. I suspect it would match pretty well... but not quite perfectly. Wouldn't do it without a backup black roll in case you hate it.

It might look good if it's close enough.

The floro orange on my bike looks reddish in some light. That colour is tricky.

I think I'm just going to get two boxes of black tape. I need to get two to get my cart up to $150 for the free shipping anyways.

datlas 06-12-22 02:16 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22539044)
The floro orange on my bike looks reddish in some light. That colour is tricky.

I think I'm just going to get two boxes of black tape. I need to get two to get my cart up to $150 for the free shipping anyways.

Which bar tape is best? :innocent:

MoAlpha 06-12-22 02:18 PM

After almost 17 hrs on the bike this week, the weight I worked so hard for weeks to put on has mostly disappeared, but I’m feeling pretty fit and LSS is pleased with how my arms are looking (she must be into veins), so that’s something. There’s time for one more slow ride and a leg session before I leave on Tues.

gnome 06-12-22 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22538776)
I got the vid. So far a nasty head ache, a stupid cough, and random chills.

dislike. hopefully you feel better soon.

datlas 06-12-22 02:39 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22538946)
I saw your comment about the tires on Strava. You should be good with a tire with minimal tread or possibly even slicks - you don't need the knobbies unless it's going to get really sloppy/muddy. IIRC, guys like Ted King stick with slicks/micro-tread, even for the big events, unless it's going to be wet.

So something along the lines of Panaracer Gravelking? Or is that still too “tready” for mix of tarmac and gravel??

WhyFi 06-12-22 02:53 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22539108)
So something along the lines of Panaracer Gravelking? Or is that still too “tready” for mix of tarmac and gravel??

I haven't used any of them, but I've shopped them a time or two. My understanding is that there are a few different Gravel Racers - one with knobs, one that's slick and one in between. I would probably go with the in-between one, with moderate tread, for that kind of mix.

Bah Humbug 06-12-22 03:01 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22539119)
I haven't used any of them, but I've shopped them a time or two. My understanding is that there are a few different Gravel Racers - one with knobs, one that's slick and one in between. I would probably go with the in-between one, with moderate tread, for that kind of mix.

Yes, and they have designations that help if you know what they mean but not when you just see them. For example, SK is "small knob" (cough). There's also SS "super speed", I think, but not quite slick. There are also slicks. And EXT. And I think others.

SK is the "standard", such as it is, and likely what [MENTION=107711]datlas[/MENTION] would use.

Mojo31 06-12-22 03:03 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22539084)
After almost 17 hrs on the bike this week, the weight I worked so hard for weeks to put on has mostly disappeared, but I’m feeling pretty fit and LSS is pleased with how my arms are looking (she must be into veins), so that’s something. There’s time for one more slow ride and a leg session before I leave on Tues.

Muscle doesn't float as well as fat.

LesterOfPuppets 06-12-22 03:11 PM

Meanwhile on the Willamette, this ramp is usually a somewhat steep pitch down to a floating section of MUP...

https://external.fphx1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...HxqqDWwGLA6IF3

MoAlpha 06-12-22 03:25 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22539124)
Muscle doesn't float as well as fat.

No indeed, which is why I have a 290N inflatable. I was also told long ago that I would die first and my mates would eat me, but there’s another shrimp on this crew too and he’s a year or two older, so I might get to taste a little “long pig” myself if we get into an Essex situation.

WhyFi 06-12-22 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22539122)
Yes, and they have designations that help if you know what they mean but not when you just see them. For example, SK is "small knob" (cough). There's also SS "super speed", I think, but not quite slick. There are also slicks. And EXT. And I think others.

SK is the "standard", such as it is, and likely what [MENTION=107711]datlas[/MENTION] would use.

Ah - okay. Looking at them, the SS - long blocks on the shoulders, file tread down the middle - is actually what I'd use unless I thought that it was going to get muddy, then it'd be the SK.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.