Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1249389)

big john 06-14-22 03:09 PM


Originally Posted by t2p (Post 22541247)
Are you a west coast rider - and possibly riding with Rick Sieman / 'Super Hunky' ?
.

Ha! No, I met him once at Indian Dunes. He was with Wolfman Webb and he was friendly and funny and willing to chat about anything. I enjoyed his writing in Dirt Bike and Modern Cycle before that. A guy I met on the Forum told me Rondo Talbot was one Rick's pen names.

Bah Humbug 06-14-22 03:33 PM

MIL got the Wordle in 1 today.

Trsnrtr 06-14-22 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22541237)
Just got word back - they're in transit between facilities and they won't be able to say if they'll be willing to sell them until they hit the next stop in 6-8 weeks. Womp womp.

They said they'd give me another $25 off of a black pair, putting them at $75 for a great, carbon-soled shoe.... but... meh - they just don't do it for me and I'm sure as hell not going to get a black helmet to match 'em.

They didn't make me an offer but I didn't ask, either. I have a couple pair of decent road shoes and only wanted these for fun but only in white. No white, no sell.

Trsnrtr 06-14-22 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by topslop1 (Post 22541452)
Rolled with the local group last night; thought I was immune from a beat up road on 32mm's. Not quite. Got sucked into a seam between the road that looked like it had been filled (shadows playing tricks). Rode it like a rail mine car; carbon on concrete for about 6-7 feet before getting tossed off. Never a dull moment over here. Elbow and knee took the heat, will be, OK. Had a thought of running slick 38's just to combat all the CRAP roads around here but ultimately I don't have tire clearance in the frame for it, nor the extra wattage to push 'em.

I did that once with a 55mm set of Giant SLR1s. These are rim wheels so I filled the chips with black epoxy and sanded them down so the brakes wouldn't pulse. Looks like crap but they work fine. :thumb:

Trsnrtr 06-14-22 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22541537)
wut is a "seam"?

Joint crack or whatever.

WhyFi 06-14-22 04:09 PM

Grrr. Some fuggin' ahole goes and parks his behemoth SUV in front of my garage. He comes out of the mixed use/condo building across the alley and I'm like, "is this you?" [motioning to the vehicle]

"Yeah."
"Okay, well I'd appreciate it if you didn't park here."
"Really? Why not?"
"Because this is my driveway? Because this is my property?"
"Do you need to get out of your garage right now?"
"Doesn't matter whether I do or not. Do you see that parking space right there? [pointing to a space on the street literally 15 feet away]"
"Yeah, I can't park there."
"Sure you can."
"Not with this construction," [motioning to construction at the intersection that has absolutely no bearing on the parking space].
"If you believe that, fine, but that's not my problem."
"Come on, man - WE'RE NEIGHBORS!"
"You live here?" [motioning to the condos]
"Yeah!"
"Well, that's news to me - I've never seen you in my life. Maybe you should have introduced yourself before you presumed this entitlement."

And with that, he GTFO. But dude... WTF? :notamused:

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:10 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22541671)
Grrr. Some fuggin' ahole goes and parks his behemoth SUV in front of my garage. He comes out of the mixed use/condo building across the alley and I'm like, "is this you?" [motioning to the vehicle]

"Yeah."
"Okay, well I'd appreciate it if you didn't park here."
"Really? Why not?"
"Because this is my driveway? Because this is my property?"
"Do you need to get out of your garage right now?"
"Doesn't matter whether I do or not. Do you see that parking space right there? [pointing to a space on the street literally 15 feet away]"
"Yeah, I can't park there."
"Sure you can."
"Not with this construction," [motioning to construction at the intersection that has absolutely no bearing on the parking space].
"If you believe that, fine, but that's not my problem."
"Come on, man - WE'RE NEIGHBORS!"
"You live here?" [motioning to the condos]
"Yeah!"
"Well, that's news to me - I've never seen you in my life. Maybe you should have introduced yourself before you presumed this entitlement."

And with that, he GTFO. But dude... WTF? :notamused:

Sharing is caring.

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:12 PM

Speaking of white road shoes, I need another pair because my new pair are no longer white.

genejockey 06-14-22 04:20 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22541662)
Joint crack or whatever.

Dougs don't do drugs.

ZHVelo 06-14-22 04:20 PM

Had a bike fit, my saddle was raised massively, so now I have a lot of available seat tube length. So I used that as an excuse to buy a new saddle bag that has just one strap attached to the seat tube instead of my current with two, and that with the extra length means I can now fit the Varia underneath the saddle bag. So I bought one.

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22541684)
Had a bike fit, my saddle was raised massively, so now I have a lot of available seat tube length. So I used that as an excuse to buy a new saddle bag that has just one strap attached to the seat tube instead of my current with two, and that with the extra length means I can now fit the Varia underneath the saddle bag. So I bought one.


Once you go varia, you can never go back. Ask me how I know.

genejockey 06-14-22 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22541684)
Had a bike fit, my saddle was raised massively, so now I have a lot of available seat tube length. So I used that as an excuse to buy a new saddle bag that has just one strap attached to the seat tube instead of my current with two, and that with the extra length means I can now fit the Varia underneath the saddle bag. So I bought one.

That much extra seat tube? Wow. Were you hitting your chin with your knees before?

ZHVelo 06-14-22 04:25 PM


Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22541560)

Road damage causes so much financial damage, I have always wondered why humanity who is close to quantum computing can't figure out a way to drastically reduce the occurrence of road damage. We even know why it happens.

Maybe it just isn't possible.

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22541687)
That much extra seat tube? Wow. Were you hitting your chin with your knees before?


Maybe his knees were pointing outwards. Like A lot.

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:26 PM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22541691)
Road damage causes so much financial damage, I have always wondered why humanity who is close to quantum computing can't figure out a way to drastically reduce the occurrence of road damage. We even know why it happens.

Maybe it just isn't possible.


You havnt been to Texas, have you?

genejockey 06-14-22 04:38 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22541692)
Maybe his knees were pointing outwards. Like A lot.

I see a number of folks doing just that. I see more with rocking hips, though. Then there are the ones where their knees track straight up and down until the last few inches on the upstroke where they suddenly swing inward. It looks so strange from behind. Almost hypnotic.

ZHVelo 06-14-22 04:40 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22541693)
You havnt been to Texas, have you?

Ever been to Scandinavia? Iceland?

What's causing Texas roads to suck? Can't be the freeze and thaw.

Bah Humbug 06-14-22 04:41 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22541671)
Grrr. Some fuggin' ahole goes and parks his behemoth SUV in front of my garage. He comes out of the mixed use/condo building across the alley and I'm like, "is this you?" [motioning to the vehicle]

"Yeah."
"Okay, well I'd appreciate it if you didn't park here."
"Really? Why not?"
"Because this is my driveway? Because this is my property?"
"Do you need to get out of your garage right now?"
"Doesn't matter whether I do or not. Do you see that parking space right there? [pointing to a space on the street literally 15 feet away]"
"Yeah, I can't park there."
"Sure you can."
"Not with this construction," [motioning to construction at the intersection that has absolutely no bearing on the parking space].
"If you believe that, fine, but that's not my problem."
"Come on, man - WE'RE NEIGHBORS!"
"You live here?" [motioning to the condos]
"Yeah!"
"Well, that's news to me - I've never seen you in my life. Maybe you should have introduced yourself before you presumed this entitlement."

And with that, he GTFO. But dude... WTF? :notamused:

That was me and the neighbors at the old house. Wish parking cops could just cube those *******s.

ZHVelo 06-14-22 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22541687)
That much extra seat tube? Wow. Were you hitting your chin with your knees before?

I believe it was like 3cm. Add another 3cm from the saddle being one strap instead of two and you have 6cm extra space.

bampilot06 06-14-22 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22541703)
Ever been to Scandinavia? Iceland?

What's causing Texas roads to suck? Can't be the freeze and thaw.


In dallas, the dirt is this nasty stuff that constantly settles. They canít pave the road, like they can in other areas. When it rains the dirt or whatever re settles and causes the road to constantly crack. Itís paved in sections to help reduce this, but it remarkably bad. Thatís why I asked.


No I havnt been that far north yet, one day.

Bah Humbug 06-14-22 04:46 PM


Originally Posted by ZHVelo (Post 22541703)
Ever been to Scandinavia? Iceland?

What's causing Texas roads to suck? Can't be the freeze and thaw.

Texas sucks.

Specifically, shoddy construction in the form of too-shallow gravel underlay, plus Texas soil is very loose and shifts regularly. It actually causes a lot of issues for building foundations.

ZHVelo 06-14-22 04:48 PM

Sounds terrible. Must be terrible to ride. I guess road quality privilege is a thing.

t2p 06-14-22 05:00 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 22541605)
Ha! No, I met him once at Indian Dunes. He was with Wolfman Webb and he was friendly and funny and willing to chat about anything. I enjoyed his writing in Dirt Bike and Modern Cycle before that. A guy I met on the Forum told me Rondo Talbot was one Rick's pen names.

Get outta town !

Super Hunky was the greatest - also enjoyed his writing (one of the few I really looked forward to reading)

I used some of his writing to my advantage back in the day in creative writing classes ! (wink)

Mojo31 06-14-22 05:13 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22541693)
You havnt been to Texas, have you?

Hey! Our roads are generally pretty good. None of that deep pothole crap that colder areas get.

We do have very expansive soils that result in the evil seams.

Mojo31 06-14-22 05:32 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22541707)
In dallas, the dirt is this nasty stuff that constantly settles. They canít pave the road, like they can in other areas. When it rains the dirt or whatever re settles and causes the road to constantly crack. Itís paved in sections to help reduce this, but it remarkably bad. Thatís why I asked.


No I havnt been that far north yet, one day.


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 22541708)
Texas sucks.

Specifically, shoddy construction in the form of too-shallow gravel underlay, plus Texas soil is very loose and shifts regularly. It actually causes a lot of issues for building foundations.

What??? Where is this coming from?

The problem in north and central Texas is that the soils are predominantly clay. During wet months it absorbs water and expands. Then in dry months it contracts to the point of large cracks developing. Those cracks pass through to whatever is on top of the soil.

Putting more sand or gravel between the dirt and paved surface does not really help because then the base is not stable. Buildings are built on engineered slab foundations that include piers where appropriate. The piers either bottom on rock, or they are drilled deep with bell shaped bottoms (in this case they depend on friction so as not to move up and down). It all works well if designed and maintained properly.

People run into issues with their foundations when the soil around it is not kept uniformly moist throughout the year. You simply cannot let it dry out in the summer. Thatís why irrigation systems and well-designed drain systems are so important.

We have had zero foundation issues in 14 years in our current place, and no issues with our pool deck or pool sheíll. The foundation is rock solid. We also make sure soil moisture levels are maintained as much as possible. That requires maintaining the landscape so the plants donít suck all the water out of the soils around the foundation.

The soils do suck, but they can be managed.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.