Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

BillyD 01-29-22 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22391309)

Builds character.

BillyD 01-29-22 09:57 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22391328)
I've been lifting immediately after the bike these past few weeks. I'm only at twice a week, so it makes it a long workout. It seems to be working well.

I've been doing some dumbbell work since the beginning of January, waiting for the gyms to be safe (for me) again so I can get on the machines. I plan to put a hurtin' on a couple of rowing machines. :notamused:

BillyD 01-29-22 10:00 AM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22391336)
We have a 54cm Tarmac on closeout. If you drive up and buy it, lunch is on me.

But wait, that would mean he would have to leave Knoxville.

BillyD 01-29-22 10:04 AM


Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22391417)
6Ē so far. Itís going to stop in a couple of hours at most.

You got no wind. Mine is drifted.

LAJ 01-29-22 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22391429)
I've been doing some dumbbell work since the beginning of January, waiting for the gyms to be safe (for me) again so I can get on the machines. I plan to put a hurtin' on a couple of rowing machines. :notamused:

There you go. Dumbbells are great for so many things. Even those horrible lunges.

phrantic09 01-29-22 10:49 AM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 22391328)
I've been lifting immediately after the bike these past few weeks. I'm only at twice a week, so it makes it a long workout. It seems to be working well.

We go Tuesday at 5PM and Wednesday at 8AM- usually ride In the morning and take it easy on Wednesday. 2 days a week is enough for me


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22391329)
I am going to hang with a Z2-ish 100k group ride for as long as I can bear it. :cry:

I can only stand about 90 minutes. Supposed to do 2 hours of SS work today but donít know if Iíll have time. Tomorrow looks good enough to go outside in the afternoon though.

question for the mechanic savvyÖ my new shimano chain is 2 links shorter than whatís on the bike now, am I screwed?

WhyFi 01-29-22 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22391486)
question for the mechanic savvy… my new shimano chain is 2 links shorter than what’s on the bike now, am I screwed?

That depends on whether or not the current chain is the shortest length for your drivetrain. I'd take the current chain off and loop the new chain around the big-big combo (NOT going through the RD) and see if you have enough for the B-B +2 links. See this method at 4:05 -


phrantic09 01-29-22 11:08 AM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22391504)
That depends on whether or not the current chain is the shortest length for your drivetrain. I'd take the current chain off and loop the new chain around the big-big combo (NOT going through the RD) and see if you have enough for the B-B +2 links. See this method at 4:05 -

ttps://youtu.be/O0YibMDWBAw?t=245

Seems simple enough, I canít imagine that full chain length wouldnít fit, but I guess Iíll find out tomorrow.

phrantic09 01-29-22 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22391436)
You got no wind. Mine is drifted.

We barely have a dusting up here.

WhyFi 01-29-22 11:16 AM

Uf da, this build from my LBS -





https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a60814a1b.jpg

genejockey 01-29-22 11:28 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22391325)
Youíre not supposed to like it!

Then it's definitely working properly.

DougRNS 01-29-22 11:29 AM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22391400)

I have a couple of civil engineering friends in Pittsburgh who used to do bridge inspections. I should get their comments on the situation.

DougRNS 01-29-22 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22391514)
We barely have a dusting up here.

same

datlas 01-29-22 11:36 AM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22391329)
I am going to hang with a Z2-ish 100k group ride for as long as I can bear it. :cry:

How was it? I ended up averaging about 70% of FTP for 2 hours, so thatís Z2 but there was plenty of harder efforts involved. I still got dropped by my friends. It used to bug me that I would not be able to stay with riders who I have no trouble staying with or even dropping IRL, but I now look at Zwift as a video game to keep my fitness up and am not a serious Zwifter. It makes it much more tolerable.

genejockey 01-29-22 11:48 AM

I'm waiting for my LBS to tell me the new BB he ordered for me came in. Who'd have thought a cartridge bottom bracket made at least 26 years ago might be a touch 'gravelly' after all these years? Still works, just not the glassy smoothness you want from a BB. I decided NOT to go the whole Phil Wood route, not being made of money and all.

I ended up sleeping 9 hours after last night's Zwifting. 2 hrs at an average of low Z3, I guess that's a lot! Because I was plumb tuckered out. I think I'm paying a hefty penalty on climbs, even in Zwift, for being 200 lbs. It's way better than 220 or 230! I'm curious about 190 or even 180 lbs, but it seems like a heavy lift to get that light.

I've dialed back the number of rides/week this month, though I think the length and intensity of the rides I am doing may be higher. I think what I'm gonna do is just do TdZ for inside rides Tuesday and Friday, and long ride Sunday, for the next week or so, and then start something a bit more structured. I'm trying to find some kind of guidance on training for free. Maybe Systm's free trial? I'm curious about their 4dp test, find out what my weaknesses are - "You're old, fat, and lazy!".

WhyFi 01-29-22 11:56 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22391569)
I've dialed back the number of rides/week this month, though I think the length and intensity of the rides I am doing may be higher. I think what I'm gonna do is just do TdZ for inside rides Tuesday and Friday, and long ride Sunday, for the next week or so, and then start something a bit more structured. I'm trying to find some kind of guidance on training for free. Maybe Systm's free trial? I'm curious about their 4dp test, find out what my weaknesses are - "You're old, fat, and lazy!".

The first thing I'd do in your position is sign up for Intervals.icu, which is free, though you can also support (which I do, as I think it's worthwhile). At the very least, it'll import your Zwift efforts, which obviously contain power data, and then extrapolate your workload on outdoor rides via HR data. That'll be the quick and free way of getting an idea of your training load.

The Sufferfest/Wahoo 4DP test is great if you have a power curve that's atypical and interval sessions scaled solely off of your FTP aren't feeling right.

Velo Vol 01-29-22 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22391410)
IIRC, I told you 54cm was too small. Aren't you like 5'10"?

You do not recall correctly. To the contrary, I feel too stretched out reaching the hoods.

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22391432)
But wait, that would mean he would have to leave Knoxville.

I leave Knoxville every time I go home from work, etc.

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22391538)
I have a couple of civil engineering friends in Pittsburgh who used to do bridge inspections. I should get their comments on the situation.

Is that what you do? Civil engineer?

genejockey 01-29-22 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22391577)
The first thing I'd do in your position is sign up for Intervals.icu, which is free, though you can also support (which I do, as I think it's worthwhile). At the very least, it'll import your Zwift efforts, which obviously contain power data, and then extrapolate your workload on outdoor rides via HR data. That'll be the quick and free way of getting an idea of your training load.

The Sufferfest/Wahoo 4DP test is great if you have a power curve that's atypical and interval sessions scaled solely off of your FTP aren't feeling right.

I did sign up for intervals.icu, but I'm not sure what to make of the data. Is this atypical?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...71c050ab0d.jpg

WhyFi 01-29-22 12:06 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22391590)
I did sign up for intervals.icu, but I'm not sure what to make of the data. Is this atypical?

Rather than look at your power curve, I'd ask about your experience with doing interval sessions at different intensities. For me, FTP-based intervals were suitably tough when doing stuff around threshold, but too easy when doing shorter duration, higher output work. Doing intervals scaled off of the results of the 4DP test solved that issue.

Eric F 01-29-22 12:13 PM

4 is my jam, apparently.

Wordle 224 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛🟩
⬛🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Velo Vol 01-29-22 12:34 PM

Is the concept of inches/cm too difficult to grasp?


indyfabz 01-29-22 01:01 PM


Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 22391436)
You got no wind. Mine is drifted.

Gusts over 35 now.

indyfabz 01-29-22 01:05 PM


Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22391323)
We got enough snow to ruin weekend riding.

I am heading to the dungeon for fake miles with friends.

There will be no tabata, no erg, no intervals of any type. That would be too much torture.

50s on Wednesday.

Mojo31 01-29-22 01:07 PM

Hi.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f578728fd9.jpg

rjones28 01-29-22 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22391309)

7F and sunny. I did not wear a coat to get the mail.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.