Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   How To Celebrate Turning 60 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1232015)

Mayonnaise 06-05-21 08:49 AM

How To Celebrate Turning 60

Greetings everyone,

Been a long time since I've been here.

I come looking for ideas.

I've been a life-long cyclist and am turning 60 this Summer.

I'm looking for ideas to commemorate this birthday on the bicycle.

Looking for something challenging, Probably multi day. Some travel but not a whole lot.

Anyone here have a big birthday and did something creative on the bike to celebrate it?

Thank you

deacon mark 06-05-21 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mayonnaise (Post 22089143)
Greetings everyone,

Looking for something challenging, Probably multi day. Some travel but not a whole lot.

Anyone here have a big birthday and did something creative on the bike to celebrate it?

Thank you

What day do you turn 60? Lord willing I am on July 26th but have not thought too much about it. Maybe the Deacon will go back to Seminary Formation and I will have that figure out. Now that certainly has it challenges but otherwise a 60 mile ride and a decent meal with good beer.

Mayonnaise 06-05-21 09:06 AM

I schedule a 60 mile ride each week so I'm looking for something more challenging.

Aug 7

deacon mark 06-05-21 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mayonnaise (Post 22089163)
I schedule a 60 mile ride each week so I'm looking for something more challenging.

Aug 7

I too have not trouble with 60 miles just finished one this morning been riding 300 mile weeks for awhile. The challenge for me is if I can keep riding decent mileage if I return and discern my 3rd vocation in the Church. I see you are around Chicago lots of riding but no mountains.

DiabloScott 06-05-21 10:21 AM

When I turned 50, I did Seattle to Portland, and went skydiving.

When I turned 60, I did l'Eroica California.

Welshboy 06-05-21 11:18 AM

Good thread this! I'm 60 on Sunday, Aug 15th and haven't given it much thought from a cycling perspective..

obrentharris 06-05-21 11:32 AM

Visit some scenic spot where you can ride 60 miles with 6,000' of climbing.
Brent

skidder 06-05-21 11:44 AM

When I turned 60 I did a 60km (40 mile) ride. I'd just finished getting my medications adjusted to a proper level for a heart arrythmia condition that developed about 4 months earlier, and had worked up to 25-30 mile weekend rides (15 milers 3x during the week), so I bumped it up to 40 miles and had no problems. At 70 y.o. I think I'll just start smoking and drinking; heck, if I make it that far why not! ;)

OldTryGuy 06-05-21 04:49 PM

Greetings everyone,
Thank you

Life here in SW FL means rides are flat with wind and decided years ago to simply double birthday age and add 1 mile for good measure. July 10th is 71st so it's easy to do the math but getting harder to "Go the Distance" since Prostate Cancer is screwing with the body.

:bday: on Aug. 7th and enjoy what ever you come up with.

jppe 06-05-21 07:35 PM

Are there bike trails near enough where you could do a multi day ride? I rode through Chicago using the Lakeshore Trail and connected to some some nice trails east of Chicago. Seems like there were a lot of trails in Chicago.

I highly recommend the Natchez Trace Parkway for multi day riding but it involves travel and you’d need support.

Are you looking to stay on paved roads or could you do gravel/unpaved roads, too?

surveyor6 06-05-21 08:07 PM

I built a banana seat muscle bike from the days of my youth. 1961 model.

big john 06-05-21 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by obrentharris (Post 22089290)
Visit some scenic spot where you can ride 60 miles with 6,000' of climbing.
Brent

When I turned 60 we rode up to Mount Baldy Village where, unbeknownst to me, a friend had driven the day before to stash a cake with my picture on it. The cafe was happy to keep it overnight for us. It was over 60 miles with 6300 feet of climbing and it was an awesome birthday. I'm in the blue jersey.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0fd56d1f3b.jpg

canklecat 06-05-21 09:23 PM

My plan for my 60th in 2017 was to ride as far as I could through bat country. I had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

Not that I needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious 60th birthday cycling celebration, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Alas, I ended up spending it in the hospital visiting my mom, whose femur had snapped from severe osteoporosis.

So I celebrated the fact that I merely have mild osteopenia. And instead of all that other stuff I'd packed for the trip, I took my doctor's advice and switched to vitamin D, calcium and increased my thyroid supplements. She nixed my request for PEDs.

But I know those bats are still waiting for me... somewhere out there.

big john 06-05-21 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 22089890)
My plan for my 60th in 2017 was to ride as far as I could through bat country. I had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls.

Not that I needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious 60th birthday cycling celebration, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Alas, I ended up spending it in the hospital visiting my mom, whose femur had snapped from severe osteoporosis.

You're a good son.

Rolla 06-05-21 11:31 PM

I celebrated my 60th on the pedals with about 25 of my closest riding buddies. The route didn't matter nearly as much as the company.

mpath 06-06-21 08:01 AM

Have you done the Everest challenge?

bruce19 06-06-21 09:19 AM

Greetings everyone,

Thank you

When I turned 60 I celebrated with this. A present from my GF. All Dura Ace.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9cbb6bf7c4.jpg

Pearson100 06-07-21 06:48 PM

I biked 120 miles on my 60th birthday! Hard to think I can do something similar on my 70th! :-)

delbiker1 06-07-21 07:37 PM

Wake up in the morning.

rumrunn6 06-16-21 01:31 PM

cpl yrs ago I almost rode my age, but bailed at 54 miles ... do it while you're young! ;-)

majmt 06-16-21 01:47 PM

Buy yourself a 60-year old bike. You deserve it.

For example, I found this with quick search - no affiliation.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233931141836

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5be0584a46.jpg

pdlamb 06-16-21 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22105007)
cpl yrs ago I almost rode my age, but bailed at 54 miles ... do it while you're young! ;-)

Started when I was 50, it gets harder every year!

GlennR 06-16-21 03:51 PM

Hookers and blow.

You know you had a great time if you wake up with a bad tattoo.

stevel610 06-16-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 22105196)
Hookers and blow.

You know you had a great time if you wake up with a bad tattoo.

I was going suggest celebrating over a weekend. Girlfriend on Friday, wife on Saturday....

Keeps it a little safer than the hookers.😉

rumrunn6 06-17-21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22105179)
Started when I was 50, it gets harder every year!

I want to do it, at least one time, cuz it's a thing. but yeah, I'm running out of time