Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1201858)

non-fixie 05-18-20 04:29 PM

What too much time and a little jealousy will do to a man

In my case it has led to a sudden urge to build a parts bin weight weenie cycling vacation special.

Motivated by seeing mrs non-fixie enjoying her little red RIH, I decided I too needed a sub-10kg bike for our next vacation trip (whenever that may be).

I didn't want to spend any money before being reasonably sure I was onto something, so for now I made do with what I had available: a scruffy Reynolds 531 frame with eyelets and room for fenders, Birmalux seatpost, CLB brakes and levers, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Bluemels mudguards, Stronglight cranks.

According to my cheap luggage scales it weighs exactly 10kg as pictured, which is a full kg lighter than any of my other 25" fendered bikes.

I just took it for a short test ride, and it feels rather nice. Light and responsive, without any of the nervousness I was half expecting. It corners beautifully. That narrow saddle needs to go, though.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d7828e91d.jpg

The CLB brakes are a nice surprise. They are very light, but feel quite solid and the braking compares favorably to the MAFAC's I am used to.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...209974bb2a.jpg

The levers feel nice too, even without hoods.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...364d64f733.jpg

There is still some work to do. To be able to add a bottle cage, bar tape and swap the too narrow Arius for a comfy Brooks I need to shave off at least another 200g ...

Wildwood 05-18-20 04:35 PM

Ten kilos for 25" frame with pedals & fenders is tough even with light wheels, in my experience. ;)
I say = Well Done! :thumb:

i will search Jonkers. For their lightweight large frames.

gomango 05-18-20 04:45 PM

Fun project!

I love blue bikes.

Yours is handsome, practical fun.

FWIW I would be really tempted to go with a bar like a MAP/Ahearne to sit in an upright position.

Fun for sightseeing on vacation. :)

Chr0m0ly 05-18-20 05:10 PM

I’d put a unicantor CMX on that build, weighs nothing and surprisingly comfy, you know, like, for my butt anyway. :D

non-fixie 05-18-20 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21483002)
Ten kilos for 25" frame with pedals & fenders is tough even with light wheels, in my experience. ;)
I say = Well Done! :thumb:

i will search Jonkers. For their lightweight large frames.

Thanks. Cees Jonkers had a well-known bike shop in Rotterdam and catered to the local racing crowd. I have read that he built frames, but have also seen his decals on frames that were built by others. The lack of a serial number makes me think this one may have come from Belgium.

Originally Posted by gomango (Post 21483020)
Fun project!

I love blue bikes.

Yours is handsome, practical fun.

FWIW I would be really tempted to go with a bar like a MAP/Ahearne to sit in an upright position.

Fun for sightseeing on vacation. :)

I am high enough as it is, thank you. ;)

Seriously, I have tried that a couple of times in the past, but ended up not liking the results very much. I think it had something to do with the short wheelbase bikes like these tend to have.

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly (Post 21483097)
I’d put a unicantor CMX on that build, weighs nothing and surprisingly comfy, you know, like, for my butt anyway. :D

Thanks for the tip. I may actually have one, somewhere. Will see if I can find it.

cudak888 05-18-20 07:08 PM

Even with all the nice stuff I have, I'd be pretty proud to have a "scruffy" frame like that gathering dust! Really nice, clean and classy build.

Also, you've learned the great secret of CLB brakes. Their weight is measured in negative grams.

-Kurt

52telecaster 05-18-20 07:35 PM

This lockdown has everybody building. Great looking bike!

Kilroy1988 05-18-20 07:46 PM

I think that turned out rather splendidly! I certainly would have guessed that it came out at 10.5-11kg at best given the size of the frame, use of fenders, and what appears to be a rather average wheel set. However, you didn't mention particulars about the wheels and tires yet, and that could amount to a large part of the weight savings... More details would be appreciated!

-Gregory

thinktubes 05-18-20 07:59 PM

10kg - that's about 9 pounds - right?

Great looking bike! Love retrofriction.

Wildwood 05-18-20 08:01 PM

to lose 200gms, lightweight tubular rims with racing silks not wider than 20mm.

the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment.

unless one's spouse is tough at the pace and pushing one's limits.

sometimes, a really good man knows his weaknesses - and is cunning enough to work around them - invisibly, but to the most discerning.

jjhabbs 05-18-20 08:09 PM

I am totally diggin it! Nice

JJ

Lascauxcaveman 05-18-20 09:11 PM

Man! My weeniest bike is a little over 10kg and only a 59cm. And not even thinking about having fenders. Nice build! :thumb:

Narhay 05-18-20 09:18 PM

Really nice, your parts bin build is looking like your bin is on the top shelf. I have a set of those CLB brakes but in red font. The cane creek hoods fit fine on the levers. I hear one of the kool stop pad insert styles can also fit into the CLB pad holders but I dont know which one.

SurferRosa 05-19-20 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 21482988)
I need to shave off at least another 200g.

The phrase "drill, baby, drill" comes to mind.

non-fixie 05-19-20 12:51 PM

Thank you for all the kind remarks. Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by thinktubes (Post 21483459)

Correct.

I love the retrofrictions too, but they weigh 72 grams, which equals about 5 pounds, so they may have to go. :(

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21483461)

the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment. (...)

I'll stick to clinchers for that very reason. It's not just a vanity exercise, I want to really ride this bike in France and Italy as soon as COVID-19 rules permit.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman (Post 21483613)
Man! My weeniest bike is a little over 10kg and only a 59cm. And not even thinking about having fenders. Nice build! :thumb:

That is why I like those old Bluemels. Yes they are vulnarable, but they do what they're supposed to do and weigh next to nothing.

Originally Posted by Narhay (Post 21483622)
Really nice, your parts bin build is looking like your bin is on the top shelf. I have a set of those CLB brakes but in red font. The cane creek hoods fit fine on the levers. I hear one of the kool stop pad insert styles can also fit into the CLB pad holders but I dont know which one.

About those CLB's, I knew they are light (you kinda can't have missed that after 10 years of BF C&V :)), but what I hadn't picked up is how nice and solid they feel. And the braking performance - with what I think are the original pads - is really, really good. No reason for Koolstops.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 21483826)
The phrase "drill, baby, drill" comes to mind.

Ah, yes. Speaking of vanity, I wouldn't mind being considered the Low Countries continental touring version of Alf Engers: :)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f1488f5ae.jpeg

FlMTNdude 05-19-20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by thinktubes (Post 21483459)

2.2 lbs/kilo = 22 lbs

USAZorro 05-19-20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 21482988)
In my case it has led to a sudden urge to build a parts bin weight weenie cycling vacation special.

Motivated by seeing mrs non-fixie enjoying her little red RIH, I decided I too needed a sub-10kg bike for our next vacation trip (whenever that may be).

I didn't want to spend any money before being reasonably sure I was onto something, so for now I made do with what I had available: a scruffy Reynolds 531 frame with eyelets and room for fenders, Birmalux seatpost, CLB brakes and levers, Suntour Cyclone derailleurs, Bluemels mudguards, Stronglight cranks.

According to my cheap luggage scales it weighs exactly 10kg as pictured, which is a full kg lighter than any of my other 25" fendered bikes.

I just took it for a short test ride, and it feels rather nice. Light and responsive, without any of the nervousness I was half expecting. It corners beautifully. That narrow saddle needs to go, though.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7d7828e91d.jpg

The CLB brakes are a nice surprise. They are very light, but feel quite solid and the braking compares favorably to the MAFAC's I am used to.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...209974bb2a.jpg

The levers feel nice too, even without hoods.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...364d64f733.jpg

There is still some work to do. To be able to add a bottle cage, bar tape and swap the too narrow Arius for a comfy Brooks I need to shave off at least another 200g ...

You did an amazing job, but good lord, what's the head tube angle on that? 75? 76?

non-fixie 05-19-20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21484973)
You did an amazing job, but good lord, what's the head tube angle on that? 75? 76?

I haven't measured it, but that is what slightly worried me beforehand. I thought it might be a bit too squirrely to for a bike intended to sit on all day for a week or two. But that doesn't seem to be the case, if my first ride is anything to go by.

non-fixie 05-19-20 04:12 PM

Bit of a disappointing day, today.

Got me a new battery for some digital scales, with the objective to get a more detailed weight measurement, so I could see every 10g saving from now on. :)

Weighed the bike with these, and was told is was 10.45 kg. :(

So, I exchanged the wheels for a pair I had prepared for an upcoming build for mrs non-fixie (Campagnolo low flange hubs, Mavic rims, radially laced front wheel) and now I am "back" to an indicated 10.05 kg. Phew.

I need to find some more weight savings elsewhere ...

USAZorro 05-19-20 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by non-fixie (Post 21485272)
Bit of a disappointing day, today.

Got me a new battery for some digital scales, with the objective to get a more detailed weight measurement, so I could see every 10g saving from now on. :)

Weighed the bike with these, and was told is was 10.45 kg. :(

So, I exchanged the wheels for a pair I had prepared for an upcoming build for mrs non-fixie (Campagnolo low flange hubs, Mavic rims, radially laced front wheel) and now I am "back" to an indicated 10.05 kg. Phew.

I need to find some more weight savings elsewhere ...

Saddle and pedals look to be about the only remaining opportunities.

Wildwood 05-19-20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by USAZorro (Post 21485668)
Saddle and pedals look to be about the only remaining opportunities.

riding without a saddle is tough; but how so - without pedals??? :foo:

noglider 05-20-20 09:00 AM

It's beautiful.

I notice taller frames can have a steeper head tube.

beicster 05-20-20 02:58 PM

That is a real beauty and in my size, too.

squirtdad 05-20-20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21483461)

the caveat is: ... weight weenie successes may detract from one's touring vacation enjoyment.

unless one's spouse is tough at the pace and pushing one's limits.

sometimes, a really good man knows his weaknesses - and is cunning enough to work around them - invisibly, but to the most discerning.

maybe a different stem for a few more grams ?

scarlson 05-20-20 03:23 PM

What seatpost do you have on there? American Classic posts can be had from Ebay for short money in many different sizes, and weigh under 175g. None of mine have broken ...yet.