Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fixed Gear Freestyle (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=320)
-   -   Best upgrades for a Cinelli Tipo Pista? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1215636)

Pabstblueridden 10-18-20 10:44 PM

Best upgrades for a Cinelli Tipo Pista?

Whats up yall new to the forum here, ight let me get started. Ive recently acquired a used cinelli tipo pista pretty cheap and its a really sick ride and i was wondering what would be the best component upgrades that i could do to it for a mix of fgfs and maybe some alleycat racing? The frames pretty light and solid so it might have potential of becoming something really great. Id probably start by replacing the crankset and heard that omniums are the standard but it seems there isnt enough clearance for my bike. Also what wheelset would you guys recommend among other things? Thanks.

The Jakyl 12-02-20 01:18 PM

I roll with Campagnolo Record Pista cranks and Gipiemme Street Pista wheels, good and smooth. H Plus Son rims are hugely popular over here in the UK laced up to quality hubs. Wheels are probably always the best upgrade as its rotating mass so saves weight big time. Cinelli Tipo is a rad frame.

Pabstblueridden 12-11-20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by The Jakyl (Post 21815313)
I roll with Campagnolo Record Pista cranks and Gipiemme Street Pista wheels, good and smooth. H Plus Son rims are hugely popular over here in the UK laced up to quality hubs. Wheels are probably always the best upgrade as its rotating mass so saves weight big time. Cinelli Tipo is a rad frame.

Word thanks cuz

TugaDude 12-12-20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pabstblueridden (Post 21749356)
Whats up yall new to the forum here, ight let me get started. Ive recently acquired a used cinelli tipo pista pretty cheap and its a really sick ride and i was wondering what would be the best component upgrades that i could do to it for a mix of fgfs and maybe some alleycat racing? The frames pretty light and solid so it might have potential of becoming something really great. Id probably start by replacing the crankset and heard that omniums are the standard but it seems there isnt enough clearance for my bike. Also what wheelset would you guys recommend among other things? Thanks.

For what it's worth SRAM discontinued the Omniums. And you are right about clearance issues with some frames.

Dubinthedam 04-30-21 01:07 PM

I'd say loose the drop bars. What nobody tells you is dropbars aren't very comfortable without brake handles to hold, they're fine if you ride in the dropped position most of the time. Cinelli do some wicked bullhorns, problem solved.

79pmooney 04-30-21 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dubinthedam (Post 22038627)
I'd say loose the drop bars. What nobody tells you is dropbars aren't very comfortable without brake handles to hold, they're fine if you ride in the dropped position most of the time. Cinelli do some wicked bullhorns, problem solved.

Or buy some Tektro levers, keep all the advantages of drop bars, have brakes you can access fast from anywhere and have the great handholds for climbing (in those big fix gear ratios).

Ben (who's been riding that setup for 45 years and still loves it)

2021BNero 06-07-21 06:33 PM

Campy' Record Pista is it.

geomiko 02-28-22 11:20 AM

Omiums are great if you can find them, but like others have said, they've been discontinued. With this supply and demand, I've seen people jack the sale price way up to the point it's worth considering other options. I've had good experience with All City track cranks. Pretty heavy, but stiff and affordable.