Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Looking for fit critiques. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1263937)

jadmt 11-25-22 10:40 AM

Looking for fit critiques.

Not sure if this will work but I am going to try and post a video to see if I could get some input on changes that might be beneficial. I know losing the the gut would be first priority but besides that any pointers? seat up or down or back or forward, shorter or longer stem bars up or down?? was a serious cyclist ~35 years ago and at 64yoa decided to get back into it. I went from 0 miles for the last 20 years or so to over 2000 miles since August. thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjFmPa1CKH3kd7Gj8

Iride01 11-25-22 11:01 AM

2000 miles since August 2022. That's serious. At least for me it is. I just don't make that much time to ride, but when I've come close to that I feel like challenging Superman!

Hard to really critique or say anything about a fit if you aren't complaining about something. I don't believe there is any formula that says this is the perfect fit for everyone. Just formulas and wisdoms from the past that get a person in the ballpark of where they should be.

If you are thinking you want more power into the pedals, you might scoot the seat forward, but that is going to possibly make you bear more weight on your handlebars. So more power comes with some compromises or other adjustments you'll need to make.

You also might try moving the cleat further back on your shoes if they'll go farther. It'll take some time to get use to the cleat there, so don't just say it feels funny and move it back the next ride. Do a dozen or so rides and compare data.

Might could raise the saddle some, especially if you try moving the saddle a bit forward.

But again, if you aren't having any issues with pains and discomfort. Or have a need you want to solve like go fast as possible for an hours time which can be a more uncomfortable position that going as fast as possible for a 4 hour ride. Then there really isn't anything you need to do. Just ride!

masi61 11-25-22 12:08 PM

Your current handlebars do look comfortable but if it were me I would miss having the option of riding the drops. Are you wedded to your current bars or could you fit some shallow drop gravel bars?

2,000 miles since August is getting back into riding in a serious way. Can you share anything about your fit that you are struggling with? Is your saddle comfortable, for example?

markynels 11-25-22 02:42 PM

Congrats on getting back into cycling! Based on your video, your fit appears to be quite good. My 2c would be to bring the saddle forward and lengthen your reach. It could also be that the frame is a couple cm too short for you. I can't see it quite clearly in the vid, but the saddle looks to be pretty far back on the rails which might support my theory. Generally speaking though, looks pretty good!

jadmt 11-25-22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by masi61 (Post 22720917)
Your current handlebars do look comfortable but if it were me I would miss having the option of riding the drops. Are you wedded to your current bars or could you fit some shallow drop gravel bars?

2,000 miles since August is getting back into riding in a serious way. Can you share anything about your fit that you are struggling with? Is your saddle comfortable, for example?

I have kicked around going with some drop bars maybe some flared ones.Nothing that I am struggling with just wondering if anything looks out of wack. seat is a brooks b17 really comfortable.

jadmt 11-25-22 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by markynels (Post 22721069)
Congrats on getting back into cycling! Based on your video, your fit appears to be quite good. My 2c would be to bring the saddle forward and lengthen your reach. It could also be that the frame is a couple cm too short for you. I can't see it quite clearly in the vid, but the saddle looks to be pretty far back on the rails which might support my theory. Generally speaking though, looks pretty good!

thanks, I was kind of thinking the frame was a bit big but maybe not. when you say lengthen reach do you mean longer stem? or drop the stem?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f74505d20b.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72eb5a0a24.jpg

downtube42 11-25-22 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 22720826)
Not sure if this will work but I am going to try and post a video to see if I could get some input on changes that might be beneficial. I know losing the the gut would be first priority but besides that any pointers? seat up or down or back or forward, shorter or longer stem bars up or down?? was a serious cyclist ~35 years ago and at 64yoa decided to get back into it. I went from 0 miles for the last 20 years or so to over 2000 miles since August. thanks
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RjFmPa1CKH3kd7Gj8

Nothing looks seriously out of whack to me. If you aren't having any comfort issues with that mileage, there's no reason to make a fit change. Knee pain, back pain, hand pain or numbness are indicators of poor fit.

If you go to drop bars for more hand positions or a lower profile (or any other reason) you'll need to make other changes. You may even find the frame doesn't suit you with drop bars.

markynels 11-25-22 03:04 PM

Generally speaking you seek a 90 degree angle between where your hands contact the bars and where your shoulders meet your body. My suggestion has you lengthening the stem to achieve a longer effective reach. By doing so, you'll open up your shoulder angle. It's unfortunate given the quill setup...Thanks for the saddle pics! I'm basing the small frame size off of your tight shoulder angle and fact the saddle appears to be as far back on the rails as possible.

jadmt 11-25-22 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by markynels (Post 22721092)
Generally speaking you seek a 90 degree angle between where your hands contact the bars and where your shoulders meet your body. My suggestion has you lengthening the stem to achieve a longer effective reach. By doing so, you'll open up your shoulder angle. It's unfortunate given the quill setup...Thanks for the saddle pics! I'm basing the small frame size off of your tight shoulder angle and fact the saddle appears to be as far back on the rails as possible.

The top tube is 56.5cm seat tube 56cm I am 5'9.5" inseam 82cm as measured on bike fit board

jadmt 11-25-22 09:04 PM

Duplicate deleted

bike eagle 01-17-23 04:20 PM

Nice bike. Is that a Rivendell?

jadmt 01-17-23 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bike eagle (Post 22772173)
Nice bike. Is that a Rivendell?

Handsome xoxo

PeteHski 01-19-23 03:54 AM

Only thing I noticed was the significant angle of your hand/wrist to forearm on the bars. You may want to aim to straighten out your wrist joint to avoid any potential issues there.

Carbonfiberboy 01-26-23 04:40 PM

I'd say leave it alone until you get thinner That'll create room for possible changes. I wouldn't mess with anything. Yep, it's roller season here for me. My best rate of weight loss has come from 1.5 hrs. in the gym in the morning, then the same on the rollers in the afternoon. Coffee before, just water during. Not every day of course. But I'm retired.