Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Stiffer mtb shoes - recommendations? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1241576)

MinnMan 11-02-21 08:00 AM

Stiffer mtb shoes - recommendations?

I know MTB shoes have more flex than road shoes by design - that's what makes them better for walking and hike-a-bike.

I periodically suffer from plantar fasciitis , and when I do, I avoid my mtb shoes - they aggravate the PA much more than stiffer road shoes. (yes, I have properly fitting insoles in all of them - that's not the issue).

My current MTB shoes are an inexpensive set of Giros.

I've considered just putting 2-bolt cleats on a set of road shoes. I don't actually do any mountain biking, but I use mtb pedals and shoes for gravel. For some gravel, road shoes and even road pedals are just fine. But other times, I appreciate having mtb shoes.

Maybe there are some MTB shoes that run on the stiff side?

Any recommendations? Ideally in the range of $150-$200?

prj71 11-02-21 08:34 AM

https://www.specialized.com/pe/en/2f...=300582-187385

Flatforkcrown 11-02-21 08:39 AM

https://www.adidas.com/us/the-gravel...es/FZ5446.html

I have these and like them.

Kapusta 11-02-21 11:46 AM

Are you looking for clipless MTB shoes? Pretty much any higher end shoe designed for XC racing is going to be pretty much as stiff as a road shoe.

MinnMan 11-02-21 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 22293146)
Are you looking for clipless MTB shoes? Pretty much any higher end shoe designed for XC racing is going to be pretty much as stiff as a road shoe.

Yes. Any specific suggestions?

caloso 11-02-21 12:48 PM

I have some Specialized S-Works mtb shoes and they are as stiff as their road version.

Kapusta 11-02-21 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22293211)
Yes. Any specific suggestions?

No, I have not shopped for that kind of shoe recently. But really, any shoe geared towards XC racing is likely to fit that bill. What you are looking for is not at all uncommon.

I assume you are going to need to try on a shoe to see if it fits well, so you can verify its stiffness then.

1xGuy 11-03-21 02:26 PM

I wear the Giro Cylinder shoe, and have for a couple years - is a pretty good balance of weight, stiffness and you can still hike it some too if needed...but definitely an XC style shoe
Downside is that the uppers are part mesh so they don't insulate well or keep your feet dry in wet conditions - so may be more a summer shoe in your neck of the woods?

I know you said you ride Giros but not sure if these are a step up in stiffness or more of what you are looking for...but I will look for another pair when they wear out

New here so can't attach a link, but they are easy to find

scottfsmith 11-03-21 02:36 PM

I have Fizik Infinito X1's, the MTB version of the Infinito R1. Yet another lightweight, stiff MTB shoe to try. I only got them because there was a cheap lightly used pair available so I didn't do a lot of comparing. Still, I have been very happy with them.

Calsun 11-06-21 01:57 PM

The Shimano ME5 mountain bike shoe is quite stiff and has good trip around the recessed cleat are that makes them safe for walking around when off the bike. In a traditional road bike shoe I love my new Giro Cadet shoes. These are both good for my average width feet. I bought 10 pairs and returned 8 pairs. Even with the Shimano ME5 shoes their E45 was the size of a E44 with any other shoe.

roskobosko 11-17-21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by MinnMan (Post 22292789)
I know MTB shoes have more flex than road shoes by design - that's what makes them better for walking and hike-a-bike.

I periodically suffer from plantar fasciitis , and when I do, I avoid my mtb shoes - they aggravate the PA much more than stiffer road shoes. (yes, I have properly fitting insoles in all of them - that's not the issue).

My current MTB shoes are an inexpensive set of Giros.

I've considered just putting 2-bolt cleats on a set of road shoes. I don't actually do any mountain biking, but I use mtb pedals and shoes for gravel. For some gravel, road shoes and even road pedals are just fine. But other times, I appreciate having mtb shoes.

Maybe there are some MTB shoes that run on the stiff side?

Any recommendations? Ideally in the range of $150-$200?

I went from Giro Jackets to Five Ten Freerider Pros and it was a huge improvement for me, stiffer, more support and way more traction, a much stickier sole compound that keeps them from slipping. Some may not like that but it works for me.

bmwpowere36m3 11-29-21 10:46 AM

Shimano RX8 or Specialized S-Works Recon... currently using the RX8's. I have wide feet, so these fit amazing and super stiff. I can ride my gravel bike 4+ hrs with no discomfort. Downside it cost, but the quality and fit are top-notch.

Symox 12-08-21 03:38 PM

You can try replacing the footbeds with something stiffer like from Superfeet

Might be a cheaper solution

scubaman 12-18-21 08:58 AM

Bont cycling shoes - road and mountain - have completely rigid (and heat-moldable) soles.