Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Training & Nutrition (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Compression wear (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=707335)

Yangster 01-16-11 05:11 AM

Compression wear

Hi,

would like to ask if any of you wears compression wear during cycling. If so, do u wear a tights over it for the padding?

razor244 01-16-11 12:11 PM

compression wear like under armor ? if that's what you are reffering to then yes i do. I wear compression shorts and then my cycle shorts. i started doing this because i wore a hole in my favorite comfy cycle shorts on the inner thigh and i had some extra under armor. After i was riding like that for a week i actually notice i take longer to get chafed on long rides.

Yangster 01-17-11 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by razor244 (Post 12085438)
compression wear like under armor ? if that's what you are reffering to then yes i do. I wear compression shorts and then my cycle shorts. i started doing this because i wore a hole in my favorite comfy cycle shorts on the inner thigh and i had some extra under armor. After i was riding like that for a week i actually notice i take longer to get chafed on long rides.

Hi, I am not sure about under armor, I am looking at the 2XU compression tights.
Will wearing the cycling tights over the compression wear makes the cycling tights uncomfortable as in the padding moves around due to the compression wear is too smooth(slippery)

obiwan kenobi 01-17-11 05:04 PM

When it is cooler outside I will wear under armor cold gear compression top and sometimes tights over my shorts. I mostly wear this for recovery and air plane trips to lesson my chance of DVT.

beatlebee 01-17-11 05:43 PM

If you are buying high end compression tights (and you're not rich) only wear them after the ride for recovery. Buy cheap tights for the ride so that you don't wear out the high end stuff. Most research that I have (quickly) done shows that recovery is aided by compression gear the most when worn after the effort not during. That said I do wear compression tops as well when I ride or run. Target right now is selling compression tops from Champion that are almost identical as far as I can tell to underarmour but only cost $15. I had one top for a few months now and bought three more today.

Machka 01-18-11 03:35 AM

I wear my compression stockings (worn for DVT issues) when I walk, but not when I cycle. They'd be too hot.

Hammonjj 01-18-11 07:41 AM

There's been a decent amount of research on this topic in the last few years, but the conclusions have been a little murky. One thing they have discovered though is that wearing compression gear while riding does nothing for the athlete, but wearing them after has been shown, in some studies, to improve recovery.

As for me, I LOVE my compression tights and wear them after all of my hard rides and races. I normally don't bother to wear them on days where my ride was easier or a recovery day (they're kind of a pain to put on and not particularly comfortable). That said, if you really want to maximize recovery, combine compressions garments with and ice bath and you've got yourself a winning combination!

Bobsled 02-15-11 12:27 PM

Question, I know they are compression but how tight are they suppose to be? I'm really interested in some for post ride/workout recovery.