Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cycling fashion faux pas? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256003)

epnnf 07-30-22 03:57 PM

Cycling fashion faux pas?

While riding on a local MUP, saw a guy wearing a blue cotton T, then bibs over them. That is, he was wearing black bibs, but with a T shirt under them. I dont wear bibs, but always thought you wear bibs, then jersey/shirt over them. He seemed to be a novice rider.

Troul 07-30-22 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by epnnf (Post 22593128)
While riding on a local MUP, saw a guy wearing a blue cotton T, then bibs over them. That is, he was wearing black bibs, but with a T shirt under them. I dont wear bibs, but always thought you wear bibs, then jersey/shirt over them. He seemed to be a novice rider.

It might just be how they feel most comfortable. There are a lot of folks with different strokes in which they execute things.

shelbyfv 07-30-22 04:05 PM

At least he had enough sense to wear a shirt.:twitchy:

sovende 07-30-22 04:32 PM

The first picture in my mind was Oshgosh bib overalls LOL, in which case, a cotton t-shirt (generally white) wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for non-cyclists in my area. Further along in the post I came back to BF reality. I don’t generally wear bibs (I have one pair) but yes I believe a jersey goes over them. That way, if you’re taking a break and some attractive cyclists happen by you don’t have to struggle to get the jersey off :D

rsbob 07-30-22 04:37 PM

You are right. A guy wearing bibs should not be on a MUP. Total faux pas.

wolfchild 07-30-22 05:33 PM

Why do you even care about how other cyclists choose to dress ?.

mackgoo 07-30-22 05:45 PM

I'm thinking he really wasn't wearing a shirt. That was the wicking under layer and would go on 1st.

datlas 07-30-22 05:54 PM

Not how it’s typically done, but it’s his choice.

gringomojado 07-30-22 06:02 PM

At least he was not wearing a onesie

gm

gringomojado 07-30-22 06:03 PM

Ok if Tee Shirt is cotton

gm

WhyFi 07-30-22 06:16 PM

Base layer? They get worn under the bib straps, but they're typically not going to be cotton (how did you know the material, anyway?) and they're going to be form-fitting.

CAT7RDR 07-30-22 06:18 PM

Dairy farmer that is use to wearing his Oshkosh suspenders over his flannel.

koala logs 07-30-22 06:35 PM

Probably a Michael Jackson fan who forgot to wash his undies.

VegasJen 07-30-22 11:41 PM

WTH is a "bib" anyway?

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22593219)
Why do you even care about how other cyclists choose to dress ?.

Aside from safety gear, or lack thereof, ^^^ this right here.

urbanknight 07-31-22 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by VegasJen (Post 22593451)
WTH is a "bib" anyway?

Cycling shorts with shoulder straps. Excellent for those of us who have a gut that would roll the waist down on a pair of regular cycling shorts.

koala logs 07-31-22 03:44 AM

It kinda looks cool in gold and if you cross the straps and wear a matching gold undie over your pants.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6fb51219c.gif

WhyFi 07-31-22 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22593460)
Cycling shorts with shoulder straps. Excellent for those of us who have a gut that would roll the waist down on a pair of regular cycling shorts.

Or just about anybody that wants them to stay in place, during long and/or strenuous rides, without undue constriction around the waist.

Oh, and to avoid plumber's crack.

indyfabz 07-31-22 07:50 AM

What the OP saw was not even close to a sleeveless jersey paired with arm warmers.

VegasJen 07-31-22 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22593460)

Thanks for that. The only bib I'm used to is the number bib I pin to my shirt for running/triathlon events.

WhyFi 07-31-22 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22593270)
Probably a Michael Jackson fan who forgot to wash his undies.

Originally Posted by koala logs (Post 22593488)
It kinda looks cool in gold and if you cross the straps and wear a matching gold undie over your pants.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f6fb51219c.gif

You have *no* idea of what we're talking about here, do ya?

rydabent 07-31-22 09:42 AM

Why do you care???

indyfabz 07-31-22 11:28 AM

How many socks was he wearing?

urbanknight 07-31-22 06:02 PM

It should be mentioned that bib shorts are often advertised with the model wearing them over a base layer (that looks like a shirt), so it's understandable that someone might think it's appropriate (for either form or function) to do so while riding.

But you haven't truly lived unless you have tried to tell a female cyclist that she shouldn't wear underwear under her shorts.

rsbob 07-31-22 06:57 PM

Yup, during the winter months, I do tuck the base layer under the bib waste and straps to provide maximum warmth with a warm long sleeve jersey over the top. Garnish with a jacket or vest (called a gilet for the more hardcore).

VegasJen 07-31-22 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by urbanknight (Post 22594127)
It should be mentioned that bib shorts are often advertised with the model wearing them over a base layer (that looks like a shirt), so it's understandable that someone might think it's appropriate (for either form or function) to do so while riding.

But you haven't truly lived unless you have tried to tell a female cyclist that she shouldn't wear underwear under her shorts.

Wait, what?