Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   see-through shorts - to tell or not to tell? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1237958)

NoWhammies 09-03-21 08:08 AM

see-through shorts - to tell or not to tell?

Out for my ride yesterday I came upon a rider whose bike shorts had seen better days. No only that, the back end was see through :twitchy:

Now I didn't know this rider. And I was cycling faster than this rider, so I was going to pass them. I was having an internal debate whether or not I should tell this stranger that their bike shorts were see through. Maybe they didn't know? But then again, is it any of my business to tell a stranger about their clothing?

Well the decision was made for me as the rider turned before I had chance to make a final decision on what to do.

But what's the thought here? Do you tell someone about their see through shorts or just cycle on your merry way?

Phil_gretz 09-03-21 08:12 AM

That's a 'no' for me, dog.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e5abc61205.jpg

AdkMtnMonster 09-03-21 08:30 AM

Well, since this is Bike Forums I’ve gotta ask…. Was this other rider wearing cycling shorts, street shorts, soccer shorts, basketball shorts, work shorts, Home Depot shorts, short shorts, or bib shorts?

Richard Cranium 09-03-21 08:34 AM

I say "don't tell" - however - if the rider is someone you know - and you know enough about them - and that they have other "better" shorts - than maybe a critique is is order..........

Iride01 09-03-21 08:35 AM

I've have those shorts that are getting a little see through. Does it bother you? They don't bother me. Don't look if you don't like what you see. You never told me about the piece of spinach stuck to my tooth or when my tie was undone at the funeral. Those were real embarrassing things I will have wanted you tell me about.

BadgerOne 09-03-21 08:45 AM

Is the subject your preferred gender, and hot? Then definitely no. Otherwise? Also no, people don't really like strangers telling them their junk is visible. Surely they already know and just don't care, or hoping to be spotted by someone who likes that stuff, just like the cheap, skin-tight, hail-damage-revealing pants worn by some patrons of discount stores and fast food joints.

indyfabz 09-03-21 08:52 AM

Do tell. I do, after once being told. I was appreciative.

Actually a cute story. First day of Cycle Oregon 2002. Woman rides along side me and says something like "You must have had those shorts for a long time." then rides off. I thought "I have, but how in the hell did she know that?" After about a minute I think I got her drift. After showering at the end of the day's ride I inspected the shorts by stretching the backs with my hands.. Into the trash they went.

indyfabz 09-03-21 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster (Post 22213245)
Well, since this is Bike Forums I’ve gotta ask…. Was this other rider wearing cycling shorts, street shorts, soccer shorts, basketball shorts, work shorts, Home Depot shorts, short shorts, or bib shorts?

And did they wave?

CAT7RDR 09-03-21 08:57 AM

It's kind of like having your fly open.
The fraternal brotherhood of cyclists states we need to look out for each other.

WhyFi 09-03-21 08:59 AM

If I know someone well enough to give them **** about it, I'd bring it up. Otherwise, nah.

wolfchild 09-03-21 10:38 AM

Don't act like a nanny, it's not your job to tell somebody that their clothing is worn out or has holes in it.

shelbyfv 09-03-21 10:48 AM

Tell a friend, they'll appreciate it. I've been told more than once through the years, I hate to give up on a comfy pair. Leave strangers alone.:twitchy:

wolfchild 09-03-21 10:51 AM

OP is paying so much attention to other peoples butts.

zandoval 09-03-21 10:56 AM

Nice ride... Good pace... Hey man everyone can see your arse through your shorts... **** um... We are ridding... Giddy Up Cowboy...

Sounds like NoWhammies was ridding behind me recently....

79pmooney 09-03-21 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22213289)
Do tell. I do, after once being told. I was appreciative.

Actually a cute story. First day of Cycle Oregon 2002. Woman rides along side me and says something like "You must have had those shorts for a long time." then rides off. I thought "I have, but how in the hell did she know that?" After about a minute I think I got her drift. After showering at the end of the day's ride I inspected the shorts by stretching the backs with my hands.. Into the trash they went.

My training partner years ago had a pair of well worn high quality wool and real chamois shorts. I rode many miles seeing a 1" circle of her butt. (She recalled those shorts when we rode together 40 years later.)

indyfabz 09-03-21 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 22213503)
Don't act like a nanny, it's not your job to tell somebody that their clothing is worn out or has holes in it.

It's not my "job" to tell someone they left something on the roof of their car as they are about to drive off or that they dropped their wallet or that their shoe is untied or that their knapsack is not zippered, but I do.

Are you really so mean spirited or is it a BF persona you have adopted to try to rankle people?

drlogik 09-03-21 11:23 AM

"Hey bud, your barn door is see-through, just sayin'........"

Rhondito 09-03-21 11:49 AM

My friends and I have an agreement to tell each other if our shorts become see-through. I don't know if I'd tell a stranger... I guess it would depend on the situation and how comfortable I felt.

indyfabz 09-03-21 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by drlogik (Post 22213588)
"Hey bud, your barn door is see-through, just sayin'........"

I basically said that to a stranger one morning. (His shorts were REALLY bare in the back.) He was totally appreciative.

Toadmeister 09-03-21 12:02 PM

This thread is worthless without pics…

indyfabz 09-03-21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Toadmeister (Post 22213654)

There was a from-behind pic of a naked man riding a bike. Mods must have deleted it because it showed a naked man's butt.

I suggest that no one repeat.

AdkMtnMonster 09-03-21 12:49 PM

But that pic of the threadless would be without worth.

Siu Blue Wind 09-03-21 01:22 PM

Agreed. No need to be here if that's what you're looking for.

Toadmeister 09-03-21 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind (Post 22213817)
Agreed. No need to be here if that's what you're looking for.

I bet your a lot of fun at parties.

Gunther20 09-03-21 02:06 PM

AFAIK I've never had a pair of shorts get that bad. So I have to ask, is it easy to tell just by holding them up? Or is it only obvious when wearing them?
I saw a guy on RAGBRAI that I assume was wearing his 7th best pair of shorts. Thought about telling him but couldn't quickly think of a tactful way to say it. Next time I'll tell someone because I would hope they would tell me.