Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   post your cinelli x mash frame review (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=616002)

brron 01-18-10 03:03 PM

post your cinelli x mash frame review

there are literally no reviews on the frame or any feedback (only one via google search).

I know they are hard to come by but if anyone on here owns it please share some insights.

1. How do you like the frame vs steel?
2. Does the pursuit frame make you accelerate faster?
3. Overall quality.
4. Weight? flex? stiff?

Thanks guys!

brron 01-18-10 08:37 PM

no one? :(

ianjk 01-18-10 09:43 PM

5h30m and no reviews????

ZZOOMG!

ph4nt0mf1ng3rs 01-19-10 12:53 AM

well im from the bay area lol. But i ride a windsor. lol. shame no one is posting here. I think the Cinelli Mash is mostly a Bay Area thing. Since Mash is a local Bay Area crew.

But on that note, Mash is so raw.

carleton 01-19-10 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by brron (Post 10286310)
there are literally no reviews on the frame or any feedback (only one via google search).

I know they are hard to come by but if anyone on here owns it please share some insights.

1. How do you like the frame vs steel?
2. Does the pursuit frame make you accelerate faster?
3. Overall quality.
4. Weight? flex? stiff?

Thanks guys!

...and here I was thinking that doing squats for the last 6 months would make me accelerate faster.

I gotta have a long talk with my coach.

NoCash27 01-19-10 01:47 PM

Well, a friend of mine has one. But he built his up like an idiot. He put some downhill MTB cranks on it, an ugly fender, crap pedals, risers that were flipped down for some reason, etc... But I did pick it up and it was still super light.

brron 01-19-10 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 10288718)
...and here I was thinking that doing squats for the last 6 months would make me accelerate faster.

I gotta have a long talk with my coach.

I'll save u the trouble and tell u squats make u faster. However due to the interesting frame geo, I'm wondering if anyone notice a different riding style, not really faster, specifically. Sorry.

I'm from the bay area too and I don't see them anywhere, even tho lbs iminusd seems to sell out preorders. And I won't build it like an idiot, it'll be classy ;)

erichsia 01-19-10 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs (Post 10288701)
well im from the bay area lol. But i ride a windsor. lol. shame no one is posting here. I think the Cinelli Mash is mostly a Bay Area thing. Since Mash is a local Bay Area crew.

But on that note, Mash is so raw.

you would be woefully wrong on that one.

Brian 01-19-10 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by brron (Post 10291097)
I'm from the bay area too and I don't see them anywhere, even tho lbs iminusd seems to sell out preorders. And I won't build it like an idiot, it'll be classy ;)

Perhaps people are using them for their intended purpose. Do you see any at the track, or are you only checking local pubs and coffee shops?

carleton 01-19-10 03:32 PM

I'll save u the trouble and tell u squats make u faster. However due to the interesting frame geo, I'm wondering if anyone notice a different riding style, not really faster, specifically. Sorry.

Even track racers from recreational to elite have abandoned slanted pursuit frame geometry. That should tell you something. It tells me that it doesn't make anything faster. Further, pursuit frames are to be used with aerobars. Period.

http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerif...ew-zealand.jpg

If you use drops or risers your back and neck will *still* ache.

I think it was a half-baked idea to make it. Yeah, as maybe a show bike or prototype, but not for production. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a dime that anyone who buys it and actually rides it would look to sell it within months.

brron 01-19-10 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 10291425)
Perhaps people are using them for their intended purpose. Do you see any at the track, or are you only checking local pubs and coffee shops?

I don't go out to pubs or coffee shops: I do go to local rides and I am presuming it was intended as a street/urban frame, not a track frame. I also commute to sf regularly, haven't seen one in sf in person either.

brron 01-19-10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by carleton (Post 10291506)
Even track racers from recreational to elite have abandoned slanted pursuit frame geometry. That should tell you something. It tells me that it doesn't make anything faster. Further, pursuit frames are to be used with aerobars. Period.

http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerif...ew-zealand.jpg

If you use drops or risers your back and neck will *still* ache.

I think it was a half-baked idea to make it. Yeah, as maybe a show bike or prototype, but not for production. I'm willing to bet a dollar to a dime that anyone who buys it and actually rides it would look to sell it within months.

so you think it's all hype trying to cash in? I understand there are some hype surrounding it since it's in collab with mashsf, but i really like the frame style.

destikon 01-19-10 04:42 PM

mash is a bro bike. i'd take one though.

carleton 01-19-10 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by brron (Post 10291792)
so you think it's all hype trying to cash in? I understand there are some hype surrounding it since it's in collab with mashsf, but i really like the frame style.

Yes. It's all hype.

"The MASHSF fixie frameset is an all-new design built from the ground up. The result of a collaboration between a San Francisco group of artists, photographers, bike messengers and Cinelli. Featuring pursuit track geometry, monochromatic paint scheme and a retro-Classic Cinelli crest logo on the head tube."
http://www.cinelli-usa.com/frame_09mash.html

I don't even have to see the bike to know it's all about hype.

Man, it looks *interesting* (I won't go so far as to say "good" or "cool") but don't let that keep you from spending (less of) your hard-earned money on a bike that will actually fit better, which will result in the best performance possible from your body.

MASH is just cashing in on the quirky cool factor of pursuit bikes from decades ago.

TejanoTrackie 01-19-10 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 10291425)

Well, if by "intended purpose" you mean to create a useless bike that is virtually unridable to be purchased by people with more money than brains, then maybe people are just building them and then immediately trying to flip them. I've never seen one at the track or anything like it, and I go to the track a lot.

Brian 01-19-10 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie (Post 10292249)
Well, if by "intended purpose" you mean to create a useless bike that is virtually unridable to be purchased by people with more money than brains, then maybe people are just building them and then immediately trying to flip them. I've never seen one at the track or anything like it, and I go to the track a lot.

It's a catch-22. Like a Hummer. Marketing dictates an image that the design cannot live up to. But they do refer to it as a track bike.

championbelto 01-19-10 07:19 PM

it's ok

I'll give you a review. I've owned a 53cm since sept. 09 and it's been a joy to have. I'm fortunate enough to have friends who are the same height as me and we all trade bikes just to get a feel for them. I've had the privilege to ride a makino, gt pulse, pista concept, and a steel pista over the years. The mash is my main squeeze and we do 14 mile round trip commutes and the occasional long ride. I currently have it setup with risers as it's easier for me to commute with them. The geometry wasn't hard to get used to as all my bikes are setup with very little saddle to bar drop. I do not have back pain or neck strain due to the geo. If you like whip skids this bike is very easy to do them with because more of your weight is placed over the front wheel. The bike is the light, stiff, and borderline harsh even with a 28c rando and 25c bontrager hardcase up front. Here's my commuting setup:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2509/...cc3672982f.jpg

It's a great bike and although it's labeled as pursuit geo, it isn't as aggressive as an affiinity lo-pro. I hope I gave some useful insight :)

tgscordv6 01-19-10 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by championbelto (Post 10292556)
I'll give you a review. I've owned a 53cm since sept. 09 and it's been a joy to have. I'm fortunate enough to have friends who are the same height as me and we all trade bikes just to get a feel for them. I've had the privilege to ride a makino, gt pulse, pista concept, and a steel pista over the years. The mash is my main squeeze and we do 14 mile round trip commutes and the occasional long ride. I currently have it setup with risers as it's easier for me to commute with them. The geometry wasn't hard to get used to as all my bikes are setup with very little saddle to bar drop. I do not have back pain or neck strain due to the geo. If you like whip skids this bike is very easy to do them with because more of your weight is placed over the front wheel. The bike is the light, stiff, and borderline harsh even with a 28c rando and 25c bontrager hardcase up front. Here's my commuting setup:

It's a great bike and although it's labeled as pursuit geo, it isn't as aggressive as an affiinity lo-pro. I hope I gave some useful insight :)

Very nice. How tall are you?

championbelto 01-19-10 07:51 PM

Thanks! I'm 5'8"

coolkid_cody 01-19-10 08:12 PM

The "pursuit" aspect of it would be kind of like putting a 65 degree drop stem on your bike and put it all the way down on the steer tube. Try it out and tell me if you go faster.

As a collaboration/ art standpoint, it is a cool bike. I really like that they redesigned the old head tube logo.

brron 01-19-10 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by championbelto (Post 10292556)

thanks for posting :) It's funny, I was going for almost the same set up as you (op rims, omnium crank). I'm 5'9" and suppose I would be getting the 53 as well. When you say borderline harsh, do you mean the fatigue that comes from the bike? road vibrations? My commute every day is 14 miles as well, mostly flat. Nice bike, and thanks again.

Scrodzilla 01-19-10 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by ph4nt0mf1ng3rs (Post 10288701)

Someone in Boston has one. I saw it locked up outside of Charlie's Kitchen in Harvard Square around 1AM about a month or so ago. I recall my wife making a joke that it was just hanging out waiting to get stolen.

FixMe 01-19-10 09:23 PM

A buddy of mine has one. He says the frame rides very tall. I think he said he normally rides a 54 or 55 and he has the Mash in 53. He loves it and says it rides fast as hell.

dietstu 01-20-10 02:32 AM

Yeah, it does ride pretty tall. My other bike is a fuji track pro which is downright feathery compared to the cinelli, but the cinelli feels more comfortable to me. They're both the same gearing but the fuji accelerates way faster because my cinelli build is a little heavier. All and all, it's fun to ride and It's comfy, I've never felt this comfortable in drops before. Probably because the pursuit geo isn't all that aggressive.

Here's my setup:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2636/bikesf.jpg

carleton 01-20-10 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by dietstu (Post 10293758)
Yeah, it does ride pretty tall. My other bike is a fuji track pro which is downright feathery compared to the cinelli, but the cinelli feels more comfortable to me. They're both the same gearing but the fuji accelerates way faster because my cinelli build is a little heavier. All and all, it's fun to ride and It's comfy, I've never felt this comfortable in drops before. Probably because the pursuit geo isn't all that aggressive.

Here's my setup:
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2636/bikesf.jpg

Can you do us a favor?

Take the following measurements for both of your bikes:
Middle of Bottom Bracket to Center of Seat Rails
Center of Seat Rail to Center of Stem (where it clamps the bar)
Center of Stem (at bar clamp) to Front Wheel bolt.

I think you pretty much negated the pursuit geometry by stacking the stem so high (even with the downward tilt).