Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 04-28-20 02:26 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444114)
And, uh, FYI - I know a guy selling a nice, modern bike... :innocent:

:lol:

I've really screwed up by telling my wife that I'm very content with the number of bikes I have :bang:

(I really am, I just wish that my roadie was more modern)


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444120)
In my road bike era? Not many - 5 and (soon to be) 3?

Bang for the buck - com'on, man!

I have owned a total of 11. Sold 5, broke 2, currently have 4.

abshipp 04-28-20 02:27 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21444128)
The only crotch crunch I remember on a bike, although there must have been others, was when I snapped a crank arm while climbing out of the saddle and it was more the taint than the nads, which took the blow. Hurt plenty though.

I have broken a chain with similar results.

Inside of the thigh, for me.

MoAlpha 04-28-20 02:28 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444126)
A fun-lovin' soulless plastic bike will do that to ya.

I would never utter this heresy in public, but the damn thing really made a significant speed difference and so did the wheels. Granted, I got it because I wanted to keep up with a group and was already starting to train a little. Then it became a motivator in itself.

MoAlpha 04-28-20 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444141)
I have broken a chain with similar results.

Inside of the thigh, for me.

Yowch!

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:36 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21444142)
I would never utter this heresy in public, but the damn thing really made a significant speed difference and so did the wheels. Granted, I got it because I wanted to keep up with a group and was already starting to train a little. Then it became a motivator in itself.

Bikes and bike ****, and how much they contribute to gains is always a thorny thing. I have set a number of "climbing" PRs on the Cervelo, though, despite being slightly heavier and less fit coming out of the winter, so go figure.

Velo Vol 04-28-20 02:38 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444125)
I'm kind of surprised that I've never seen one mountain biking.

I did see a little possum, once:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...600c43e4e8.jpg

I saw a dead one along the road today.

RIP

seedsbelize 04-28-20 02:46 PM

:bday:
The factory reset did the trick. All that did not work now does, And Fast! I must've been carrying a lot of extra weight. I have not yet successfully logged in to bikeforums on it. I'll make a point of not logging out here. Seems it would sync from here though....

WhyFi 04-28-20 02:49 PM


Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21444175)
:bday:
The factory reset did the trick. All that did not work now does, And Fast! I must've been carrying a lot of extra weight. I have not yet successfully logged in to bikeforums on it. I'll make a point of not logging out here. Seems it would sync from here though....

Although not nearly as bad as what you've mentioned, my phone has been starting to drag, too. I've thought about buying a new one and I've thought about a factory reset... but I'm just going to take it as a sign to put the phone down more often.

MoAlpha 04-28-20 02:57 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444154)
Bikes and bike ****, and how much they contribute to gains is always a thorny thing. I have set a number of "climbing" PRs on the Cervelo, though, despite being slightly heavier and less fit coming out of the winter, so go figure.

"Save your money and work on the engine" is always good advice and something there is that doesn't like a total zhlub on covetable bike.

I note that this never comes up in sailing, where it's easy to spend 10K on a single sail that lasts two seasons. It is assumed that any marginal gain is worth it if you've got the cash and your spouse don't leave you, and you've got the rest of your life to learn to point the boat in the right direction or pay someone who does.

WhyFi 04-28-20 03:23 PM

Grrr. I'm done with the FD/RD tuning and was thinking about taking some listing pics for the Domane, but I noticed that the front tire logo doesn't line up with the valve stem. That is something that I shall have to remedy before taking pics - that's enough to blow the sale, right there.

abshipp 04-28-20 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21444142)
I would never utter this heresy in public, but the damn thing really made a significant speed difference and so did the wheels. Granted, I got it because I wanted to keep up with a group and was already starting to train a little. Then it became a motivator in itself.


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444154)
Bikes and bike ****, and how much they contribute to gains is always a thorny thing. I have set a number of "climbing" PRs on the Cervelo, though, despite being slightly heavier and less fit coming out of the winter, so go figure.

Both times I've gotten a new MTB on the first few rides I've set a PR on some section of trail.

Not sure whether that's the bike or my excitement about the new bike. The psychological aspect is huge for me. My Trek is a "slow" bike, so I ride it slow. My SLT is my "fast" bike, so I ride it slightly less slow than the Trek.

MoAlpha 04-28-20 03:32 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444240)
Grrr. I'm done with the FD/RD tuning and was thinking about taking some listing pics for the Domane, but I noticed that the front tire logo doesn't line up with the valve stem. That is something that I shall have to remedy before taking pics - that's enough to blow the sale, right there.

Yeah, like the "deployed military" who have to wire $10,000 to your bank account are gonna notice.

WhyFi 04-28-20 03:39 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444240)
Grrr. I'm done with the FD/RD tuning and was thinking about taking some listing pics for the Domane, but I noticed that the front tire logo doesn't line up with the valve stem. That is something that I shall have to remedy before taking pics - that's enough to blow the sale, right there.

D'oh! I'm the dummy. Looks like I aligned the NDS logo with the valve stem - what a maroon!

LesterOfPuppets 04-28-20 03:51 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21444125)
I'm kind of surprised that I've never seen one mountain biking.

I did see a little possum, once:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...600c43e4e8.jpg

Uggh, those things give me the willies worse than snakes I think. They almost made me crash in Oregon a couple times. Always skittering around in the leaves by the road, occasionally hissing.

Best possum roadkill I saw was a mama possum squished in the lane and 3 tiny pink possum babies that had tried to make their way across the paved shoulder and into the woods. They'd all died too, yet remained unsquished.

Velo Vol 04-28-20 03:56 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21444194)
it's easy to spend 10K on a single sail that lasts two seasons


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21444294)
Best possum roadkill

wut

LesterOfPuppets 04-28-20 03:57 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21444305)
wut

You don't mentally rank your possum roadkill sightings?

That one had it all. Death, struggle, and more death.

Velo Vol 04-28-20 03:59 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21444308)
You don't mentally rank your possum roadkill sightings?

That one had it all. Death, struggle, and more death.

Not according to gruesomeness.

Bah Humbug 04-28-20 04:04 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21444294)
Uggh, those things give me the willies worse than snakes I think. They almost made me crash in Oregon a couple times. Always skittering around in the leaves by the road, occasionally hissing.

Best possum roadkill I saw was a mama possum squished in the lane and 3 tiny pink possum babies that had tried to make their way across the paved shoulder and into the woods. They'd all died too, yet remained unsquished.

Interesting; nothing gets me as much as spiders. Possums are kinda ugly, but nothing I'd consider a threat.

LesterOfPuppets 04-28-20 04:16 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21444311)
Not according to gruesomeness.

Just by "Is it fresh enough to eat?"

MoAlpha 04-28-20 04:18 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21444294)
Uggh, those things give me the willies worse than snakes I think. They almost made me crash in Oregon a couple times. Always skittering around in the leaves by the road, occasionally hissing.

Best possum roadkill I saw was a mama possum squished in the lane and 3 tiny pink possum babies that had tried to make their way across the paved shoulder and into the woods. They'd all died too, yet remained unsquished.

Possums are sort of creepy.

Sometime, I'll relate what happened to the squirrel nest and its occupants, when the thermostat hit 90 and the fan in the greenhouse extension went on.

rjones28 04-28-20 04:42 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444240)
Grrr. I'm done with the FD/RD tuning and was thinking about taking some listing pics for the Domane, but I noticed that the front tire logo doesn't line up with the valve stem. That is something that I shall have to remedy before taking pics - that's enough to blow the sale, right there.

Yup

rjones28 04-28-20 04:43 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21444270)
D'oh! I'm the dummy. Looks like I aligned the NDS logo with the valve stem - what a maroon!

Rookie mistake.

rjones28 04-28-20 05:46 PM

Rode the Fuji, since it was closest to the door.. Did not see any roadkill

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c1c735c6e.jpg

datlas 04-28-20 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21444479)
Rode the Fuji, since it was closest to the door.. Did not see any roadkill

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c1c735c6e.jpg

Kudos. I think I have the same fenders on my SS, except yours still have the black rubber tips on the ribs while mine are long gone.

seedsbelize 04-28-20 05:53 PM


Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21444294)
Uggh, those things give me the willies worse than snakes I think. They almost made me crash in Oregon a couple times. Always skittering around in the leaves by the road, occasionally hissing.

Best possum roadkill I saw was a mama possum squished in the lane and 3 tiny pink possum babies that had tried to make their way across the paved shoulder and into the woods. They'd all died too, yet remained unsquished.

one of the best critters for cleaning the ticks out of the landscape


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.