Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=248)
-   -   Clyde-Giant connection? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=841221)

Hendricks97 08-22-12 01:19 PM

Clyde-Giant connection?

I recently rode in a fundraiser event that had over 6000 riders. I noticed that 99% of who I would consider clydes all rode Giant brand bikes. Is there a reason for this or just coincidence? I am a clyde as well, but I was riding a Felt

Mark Stone 08-22-12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hendricks97 (Post 14639113)
I recently rode in a fundraiser event that had over 6000 riders. I noticed that 99% of who I would consider clydes all rode Giant brand bikes. Is there a reason for this or just coincidence? I am a clyde as well, but I was riding a Felt

I ride a Giant Escape 2 and speaking for myself, the Giant Escapes are extremely high quality for the price. I would assume the same for other lines that Giant produces. This from a man that has ridden over 60,000 miles through all kinds of topography (including many Colorado mountain passes) on all types of bikes, both low and high end - and my current sub-$500 Giant Escape is the best bike I've ever had. :thumb:

Another angle is that Giant is the #1 manufacturer by volume in the world now, so they are more common than other makes and are therefore more likely to be seen.

fatpunk 08-22-12 04:14 PM

When I first started stalking this forum and read over what people recommended for bicycles the Giant Sedona was one that always came up. That being said my first bike and my primary bicycle was the Sedona. Maybe it is because Giant is one of the big 3 and they have a great selection of bicycles with good prices.

PhotoJoe 08-22-12 04:26 PM

I think there is an overall feeling that Giant is one of the world-wide leaders in "quality" bikes and offer a bit more "bang for the buck". They actually manufacture bikes for other brands.

Before I get flamed, I'm not saying they are the best, or the only quality bikes. My point is they are ONE OF the quality brands.

I really loved the Defy Composite I tested. If I didn't want a Ti bike, that is the bike I would have bought.

Mr. Beanz 08-22-12 04:36 PM

99% of Clydes on Giants???:eek: If you were at the back of the pack, that might not be a good thing.:D

Now if you were mixing it up with the roadie Clydes and a big percentage were on Giants, then I'd figure that they chose Giant because their roadies have some huge tubes. Have you seen the BB area, head tube and downtube on the newer Giant roadies? I'd consider one myself.:thumb:

vesteroid 08-22-12 06:36 PM

I haz a giant roady and consider myself a roady...love my defy advanced 1... Am going to some slinky fast Italian bike....just need to find one that fits my budget and pocket book....going to hit homey up,for bike advice :)

And yes, I want it because I want it...not because I think it will make me faster. (but it will make me faster really)

Hendricks97 08-23-12 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by tractorlegs (Post 14639261)
Another angle is that Giant is the #1 manufacturer by volume in the world now, so they are more common than other makes and are therefore more likely to be seen.

Im kind of a statistics guy, and the other thing I noticed was that the non-clydes rode mostly Trek (though technically still made by Giant) and there was a large increase in the number of Felts over last year. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the typical rider for this event is someone that has money to spend, due to the large amount you have to raise or fork over yourself, and isnt a commuter. Ive heard of a lot of people that ride in it as the only organized thing they do all year. Also to note, I was in the pack that was doing 180 miles over 2 days, so not a lot of hybrids or mountain bikes