Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

Sixty Fiver 03-22-14 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Salubrious (Post 16598534)
Sweet!

It just needed to have 40 years of dust wiped off of it and be given a few sips of oil... we swapped the tyres and brake pads as the tyres had sat flat for so long the bead had deformed and would not sit on the rim.

Condition wise it was 9.5 / 10 as it had a few small scuff marks on it.

We will probably lace new alloy rims to it to further improve the braking and expand the tyre options so higher psi tyres can be used.

noglider 03-22-14 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 16600563)
I have seen that done on the big upright city bikes the Dutch ride, it usually shows up near the coast where they apparently get some pretty substantial headwinds.

Aaron :)

How far inland are you? If you haven't felt a coastal wind, you may not know how tough they are. We get them in the city, especially in the winter and throughout March. Sometimes, I have to ride leaning to the side just to ride in a straight path. A Dutch bike with aero bars probably looks silly, but it makes sense if you're riding into one of those winds. I'm glad some people thought of it.

noglider 03-22-14 09:57 AM

65er what tires do you like for the Twenty? I meant to ask rhm about the Panaracer tires he just received. I don't know if he's ridden them. And don't you think your friend's Twenty should get a front brake replacement, such as canti or hub brake? I don't think good pads plus alloy rim are enough. They weren't enough for me.

adventurepdx 03-22-14 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Bauserman (Post 16599354)
This followed me home a few weeks ago and is going to be my daily ride. I have put some elbow grease into it, added a new Brooks B33 with matching grips, a Sackville Baggins case, new Michelin tires and installed the chain case.

Man, that looks like quite the smart bike you got! Like how the saddlebag matches the paint.

wahoonc 03-22-14 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 16601061)
How far inland are you? If you haven't felt a coastal wind, you may not know how tough they are. We get them in the city, especially in the winter and throughout March. Sometimes, I have to ride leaning to the side just to ride in a straight path. A Dutch bike with aero bars probably looks silly, but it makes sense if you're riding into one of those winds. I'm glad some people thought of it.

Roughly 95 miles inland, however I have spent time at the coast in NC, typically the area around Wilmington, NC. Because of the shape of the NC coast we don't seem to get the high winds as much as places like the Outer Banks of NC.

Steve Bauserman 03-22-14 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 16601111)
Man, that looks like quite the smart bike you got! Like how the saddlebag matches the paint.

I forgot to mention it is a Pashley Prospero. The paint had some scratches and since Pashley is still in business making bikes; I went to their website, got their support email, emailed them asking for the color code of the paint and within twenty-four hours I had a response with the color code (RAL 6009) which made it easy to get a small container of exactly the right color.

The whole setup works real well the Brooks honey saddle and grips with the Rivendell Sackville bag with honey leather trim on green canvas matching the Regency Green on the bike.

Howard 03-22-14 01:17 PM

I don't worry about snagging my shoe on the cable. However, the top mounted pulley ought to help keep the shifting happy when the axle changes position in the dropout.

noglider 03-22-14 04:27 PM

Howard is right. Every time you take the wheel out and put it back in, you have to readjust the gears if the cable is on the bottom. Not so if it's on the top.

63_dorinte 03-22-14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The one problem with this routing is that the cable can sometimes snag on your shoe; this doesn't happen if it is routed along the top tube and down the seat stay.

Thanks, that kinda makes sense.

Originally Posted by Howard
I don't worry about snagging my shoe on the cable. However, the top mounted pulley ought to help keep the shifting happy when the axle changes position in the dropout.

Thanks, that makes sense also. I will keep my eyes open for a 1" fulcrum clamp.

photogravity 03-22-14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sailorbenjamin (Post 16576782)
Hey, that's a Birmingham built bike. Nice change of pace from the usual Nottingham Raleigh clones.

+1 I like seeing other than Nottingham bicycles in this thread too. Unfortunately, the Nottingham stuff is so ubiquitous, it nearly owns this thread. With that stated, I have a Hercules Lion very similar to that which krtchp19 has, but in better condition. I've fixed some of the things that were wrong on the bike since the pictures. :)

krtchp19 03-23-14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by photogravity (Post 16601899)
+1 I like seeing other than Nottingham bicycles in this thread too. Unfortunately, the Nottingham stuff is so ubiquitous, it nearly owns this thread. With that stated, I have a Hercules Lion very similar to that which krtchp19 has, but in better condition. I've fixed some of the things that were wrong on the bike since the pictures. :)

Yea my bike was not in the best cosmetic shape but I have 90% taken it apart and cleaned it. I will start the rebuild as soon as it gets warmer in this crazy chicago never ending winter town. I really wish my chain guard was in better shape with the full lion but for 20 bucks its not a big deal and ill still enjoy riding it.

photogravity 03-23-14 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by krtchp19 (Post 16604076)
Yea my bike was not in the best cosmetic shape but I have 90% taken it apart and cleaned it. I will start the rebuild as soon as it gets warmer in this crazy chicago never ending winter town. I really wish my chain guard was in better shape with the full lion but for 20 bucks its not a big deal and ill still enjoy riding it.

I'm looking forward to some updated pictures. :thumb:

bwilli88 03-24-14 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this near my home in the states wish I could be there to get it.
http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...d=370702&stc=1
the CL ad
Vintage 70's Raleigh Sport Bicycle (Mens/England) Blue-

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=370702

BGBeck 03-26-14 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this look like it might be a three speed to you fellows? http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=371218

JohnDThompson 03-27-14 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by BGBeck (Post 16615377)
Does this look like it might be a three speed to you fellows? http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=371218

I don't see a shifter anywhere, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have one.

markk900 03-27-14 05:16 AM

I do see a coaster brake arm on the back, but still could be geared. And this gives a whole new meaning to trigger shifting....on the down tube no less.

rhm 03-27-14 07:22 AM

I don't think that bike has a three speed hub (since I see neither quadrant shifter or trigger cable), if that's the question; but it's a roadster, so three speed hub or not it is definitely the kind of bike we discuss here. I give it a pass.

David Newton 03-27-14 07:49 AM

With everything else that fellow had on his mind, I don't think shifting gears was at the top of his list.

auchencrow 03-27-14 06:52 PM

Does this look like it might be a three speed to you fellows? http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...p;d=1395893216

If you had an Enfield No. MkIII mounted like that, would you still need a bell?

BGBeck 03-27-14 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by auchencrow (Post 16618167)
If you had an Enfield No. MkIII mounted like that, would you still need a bell?

Since it's painted black, it's a "tactical" bell. ;)

garage sale GT 03-27-14 07:49 PM

Did they ever give 3-speeds to the army?

JohnDThompson 03-27-14 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by garage sale GT (Post 16618335)
Did they ever give 3-speeds to the army?

Some armies, yes:

http://www.os2.dhs.org/~john/fongers.jpg

Ankheg 03-27-14 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by krtchp19 (Post 16596917)
Would anyone happen to have an extra stem/stem bolt for an early 70's raleigh they don't need, mine broke off.

I've got a couple stems from that era, if you want 'em. They're off of Hercule-branded bikes, I believe, but I think they're the same as found on actual Raleighs. They've got the heron on 'em, anyway. Not perfect, but they'll clean up nice.

Bledfor Days 03-31-14 06:38 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread for a newb question, but does anyone know what the white plastic cover on the drive side axle nut on a SA AW hub is called. It protects the little chain on the shifter connector. I'm missing it on my Raleigh Sports and am pretty sure that's why the chain was broken when I got the bike.

Bledfor Days 03-31-14 07:34 PM

I've decided to improvise and make one out of one of those synthetic wine corks. I'll post pics later. Must drink wine first, sober up, make part.

markk900 03-31-14 07:44 PM

I like your style....:)

FWIW: millions of 3-speeds made without the plastic cover so not sure it is really necessary, but if you want one I can't fault your approach!

wahoonc 04-01-14 06:17 AM

You can order them from a variety of places, they are to protect the indicator chain if the bike falls over. Some of my bikes have them and some don't. I got a handful Mark Stonich of Bikesmith Designs a few years back. They are called "Indicator Guards" and the part number is HSL-711 (current part number) they are considered optional.

BGBeck 04-01-14 07:54 AM

Well, after reading through this thread I took the plunge and found myself a Raleigh Sports via Ebay. A metallic brown, 1976 according to the hub. Assembly has come to a stop for the moment since I can't seem to get the front wheel to fit into the fork. The distance between the drop outs is 3 3/16" by my tape measure. Is the fork bent? Should I be looking at something else?

Ankheg 04-01-14 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BGBeck (Post 16630992)
The distance between the drop outs is 3 3/16" by my tape measure. Is the fork bent? Should I be looking at something else?

No, that sounds about right. The front wheels are kind of a pain to get in and out, the first few times you do it. You have to kind of pull the fork blades outward while pushing the hub down (with the bike upside down; I don' t even try to do it right side up anymore) with your thumbs, possibly while cursing loudly. It'll seem like there's no way it can work, then the hub will suddenly snap into place.

And then, if Murphy hates you, you'll discover you put the wheel in backwards, with the adjustable cone on the wrong side, and have to do it all over again. :)

rhm 04-01-14 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 16618412)

Cool... but... those aren't three speeds either.