Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How fer did you ride today?! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1081695)

kahn 10-12-21 11:22 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22266759)
Being a complete and total wimp, since it was raining like crazy, I rode 20 fake miles (Zwift) and climbed 1000 fake feet. I almost felt fake tired when done.

Rain? What rain? Although, my tiredness was due to the damn flat tire just outside of Google-Seattle in Fremont. Not stranded but I almost reached out to the AAA. What's with those ten minute flat fixes. This was more like an hour!!! Okay, I admit it was raining nicely in the morning.

15.7 and 700 feet and....


https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8a66dbc544.jpg
Shilshole Bay Marina
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b141d028d4.jpg
Leif Erickson
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...871c06550c.jpg
Ballard Locks
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25a63450ed.jpg
Golden Gardens
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4be1f27499.jpg
Fresh water pond empties into salty Puget Sound
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b34c1af636.jpg
Golden Gardens

rumrunn6 10-12-21 12:34 PM

zero miles but I put my bike rack back on my car, so ...

kahn 10-12-21 12:45 PM


Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22267489)
zero miles but I put my bike rack back on my car, so ...

I recently acquired and installed a Kuat dock to hang my rack on the garage wall more out of the way.

rumrunn6 10-12-21 12:51 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22267513)
I recently acquired and installed a Kuat dock to hang my rack on the garage wall more out of the way.

oh jealous! I tend to keep mine on my patio or in my basement. we're getting our condo patios steam cleaned this week, so I figured back on the car it goes!

rsbob 10-12-21 09:06 PM


Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22267489)
zero miles but I put my bike rack back on my car, so ...

So you can drive your bike around? ;) My bike rack lives on the hitch full time.

diphthong 10-12-21 09:44 PM

30-spot. legs were dogmeat after yday. hello beer ride!

rumrunn6 10-13-21 03:38 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22268081)
So you can drive your bike around? ;) My bike rack lives on the hitch full time.

hehe no that would putting the bike on the rack. they are steam cleaning our condo patios so I had to move the rack. figured on the car was better than in the basement. with hopes of putting the bike on it, then of course riding it

The Chemist 10-13-21 06:28 AM

A bit drizzly today, so I didn't feel like riding too far. Rode 25km at lunch.

Troul 10-13-21 07:06 AM

45 Miles O.D. Thunder With Heavy Rain Predicted For The Rest Of The Week.

kahn 10-13-21 02:18 PM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22268081)
So you can drive your bike around? ;) My bike rack lives on the hitch full time.

I don't have enough garage depth to allow the car AND rack inside when mounted. Also, the constant beeping/warning when the rack interferes with both the backup camera and warning sensor would drive me further crazy!

Troul 10-13-21 03:01 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22268850)
I don't have enough garage depth to allow the car AND rack inside when mounted. Also, the constant beeping/warning when the rack interferes with both the backup camera and warning sensor would drive me further crazy!

you mean it'd make you a cyclepath?

rsbob 10-13-21 04:45 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22268850)
I don't have enough garage depth to allow the car AND rack inside when mounted. Also, the constant beeping/warning when the rack interferes with both the backup camera and warning sensor would drive me further crazy!

I completely understand. My rack interferes with my backup sensors and as soon as I put the car in R they go off. Luckily the camera has a clear view. My car barely fits in the garage with the rack on with enough room to get around the front of it. Had to hang a tennis ball on a string to show me exactly how far to pull in, but if your vehicle won’t fit with it on, then it just won’t.

My hitch rack weighs 50 lbs and is not to much work to get on and off but lugging it around to store it is more of a pain when I use it at least 4 times a week. Best of luck

jaxgtr 10-13-21 06:37 PM

So I have been working on my climbing and I will never be a mountain goat. I have been trying to complete the Stelvio route on Rouvy for a while and it kicks my but each time. 7% avg grade is killing me, hangs head, only did 4.5 miles over 55 mins, WTF.

biker128pedal 10-13-21 06:56 PM

An after work ride / mental health refresh today. An even 20 miles. Road from a part of the Indian Head rail trail down toward the Najamoy area and back. Had a nice hello from a lady heading out on the trail on her regular sit up bike. She left before I had my front wheel on and got back just as I was leaving. Better than me. She road longer. :thumb:

No rain and cool 70 F.

kahn 10-14-21 09:15 AM


Originally Posted by Troul (Post 22268896)
you mean it'd make you a cyclepath?

I don't use the cycle path that often but, yes, I'm more than half way there!!! And yesterday's chain jumping off the chain ring and getting jammed in between the chain ring and frame edged me closer.

15.x and 700 or so. Cold, chilly, gray. Almost the same route as two days ago.

Tights, full fingered gloves, three top layers. Soon enough my electric socks - YECH (but miraculous) and overbooties! Needed once the temps are below 50F.

kahn 10-14-21 09:31 AM


Originally Posted by rsbob (Post 22269009)
I completely understand. My rack interferes with my backup sensors and as soon as I put the car in R they go off. Luckily the camera has a clear view. My car barely fits in the garage with the rack on with enough room to get around the front of it. Had to hang a tennis ball on a string to show me exactly how far to pull in, but if your vehicle won’t fit with it on, then it just won’t.

My hitch rack weighs 50 lbs and is not to much work to get on and off but lugging it around to store it is more of a pain when I use it at least 4 times a week. Best of luck

Years ago, I managed finding those concrete curb blocks they use to delineate the merge lines at good old Monster Recycling. They stop my rear wheels from going too far into the garage as I back up. They look like this:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dad3d836fb.jpg

bampilot06 10-14-21 09:34 AM

3.9 miles before I crashed.

kahn 10-14-21 09:37 AM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22269129)
So I have been working on my climbing and I will never be a mountain goat. I have been trying to complete the Stelvio route on Rouvy for a while and it kicks my but each time. 7% avg grade is killing me, hangs head, only did 4.5 miles over 55 mins, WTF.

I have driven it! And a few of those other insane passes. I admired the bike riders and was aghast at the buses with their ram horn extended mirrors passing the bikes! Up, UP and away. Amazing cycling - not for me. We hiked and did Via Ferrata.

kahn 10-14-21 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22269711)
3.9 miles before I crashed.

Hope you AND the bike are okay.

bampilot06 10-14-21 09:44 AM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22269718)
Hope you AND the bike are okay.


Figuring out both now.

jaxgtr 10-14-21 03:57 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22269715)
I have driven it! And a few of those other insane passes. I admired the bike riders and was aghast at the buses with their ram horn extended mirrors passing the bikes! Up, UP and away. Amazing cycling - not for me. We hiked and did Via Ferrata.

What makes it bad for me is that I live at 8ft above sea level and the highest point in the 150 mile radius is a bridge and that is 175ft. So I have to suffer on a trainer when I want to go up up and away

jaxgtr 10-14-21 03:58 PM


Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22269711)
3.9 miles before I crashed.


Bummer, I hope you are ok

ofajen 10-14-21 06:52 PM


Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22269718)
Hope you AND the bike are okay.

Roger that! No fun. Hoping for the best!

Otto

ofajen 10-14-21 07:03 PM

I did just over 17 miles. Rode a little faster today, as I had to get home in good time to take dinner (ribs) out of the oven.

Otto

kahn 10-15-21 08:15 AM


Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22270204)
What makes it bad for me is that I live at 8ft above sea level and the highest point in the 150 mile radius is a bridge and that is 175ft. So I have to suffer on a trainer when I want to go up up and away

While we have two relatively close bike paths that are fairly flat (and boring) once you get to them most 10-15 miles rides have gains of about 700 feet and more elevation can be easily added. It was all that glacial carving! I can lose 80 feet within three blocks of my house.

While I don't really pedal below sealevel, it has rolling hills in the residential neighborhood to my west and then some drops and climbs for 700+ feet.

I know you are flat. Many years ago, my parents purchased a condo in Fort Lauderdale. They were not amused when I suggested if I was going to inherit property I would prefer something in the mountains of Colorado.


https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e32f4692e7.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.