Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Totally Tubular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=154679)

Slowride79 05-07-21 06:20 AM

Velox Jantex 76 Tubular Rim Tape
 
Hello everyone,

I have searched past threads but most I could find on this subject are more than a few years old.
Can anyone vouch for Velox Jantex 76 Tubular Rim Tape?
I have never glued or taped tubulars but now find myself with several I need to do.

I recently asked a well respected collector here on the forum who has been at this for 50 years and he said without hesitation I should use tape instead of glue. I know there is debate.
My biggest concern with tape is how do you handle if you have a flat on the road? Does it come off easily enough ? Do you install a spare and for this do you need additional tape? What if you want to move tires from one set of rims to another? Some have said you virtually destroy the tire when removing from a taped rim. I have invested in quality tires (Veloflex) and donít want this. Thanks everyone for your advice.

smontanaro 05-07-21 07:47 AM


Originally Posted by Slowride79 (Post 22048767)
I recently asked a well respected collector here on the forum who has been at this for 50 years and he said without hesitation I should use tape instead of glue.

I have always used glue, but if I was just getting started with tubulars I would probably use tape. I can't answer most of your specific questions though. I do have some experience removing tape, however. In my experience with used tubulars which had previously been taped, it is a PITA to remove. That post of the Conti Competition I made the other day was just the beginning of that particular adventure. I am still messing with it. I've got about half the tape removed from one tire. While it seems I can remove it pretty well, it is very slow going. That said, there appear to be a few different types of tape, so (as Harvey Sachs says), YMMV.

Slowride79 05-07-21 10:50 AM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22048877)
I have always used glue, but if I was just getting started with tubulars I would probably use tape.

Thanks Skip. What brand of glue do you use? I have a couple tubes of the Conti....

gkamieneski 05-07-21 10:54 AM

I had always used Vittoria Mastic, however my last set was done using the Continental glue in the orange tube for aluminum rims. To be honest, I was not able to discern any difference between the Vittoria and the Continental glues.

Sedgemop 05-07-21 11:42 AM

Been using tubulars consistently on my PX-10 for about a year now and am enjoying the ride, for sure. I've switched tires a couple times on each wheel. The last time, I didn't apply glue to the rim, since there's a pretty good buildup of old glue on the wheel. I only applied glue directly to the tire. Seems to be holding just fine and I don't find any loose spots. Any reason to be concerned about this? Also, has anyone here ever had a tire come off while riding from being under-glued?

DiabloScott 05-07-21 12:43 PM


Originally Posted by Sedgemop (Post 22049267)
I only applied glue directly to the tire. Seems to be holding just fine and I don't find any loose spots. Any reason to be concerned about this? Also, has anyone here ever had a tire come off while riding from being under-glued?

Here's my test: take the air out of the tire and see how hard it is to get off... like you had a flat on the road and need to put on your spare. It should be damn hard, but not damn near impossible. I've never had one come off and every time I have to replace a tire I think it was a little too close to impossible and I can back off some on the glue next time.

Everybody has heard stories about people that rolled a tire though, and that's why most people over-do it... including me.

jimmuller 05-07-21 01:04 PM


Originally Posted by gkamieneski (Post 22049190)
I had always used Vittoria Mastic, however my last set was done using the Continental glue in the orange tube for aluminum rims. To be honest, I was not able to discern any difference between the Vittoria and the Continental glues.

You couldn't feel the difference in the color of the tube? It's obvious! Orange is close to red, and red bikes are the fastest. Everyone knows that.


Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22049358)
Here's my test: take the air out of the tire and see how hard it is to get off... like you had a flat on the road and need to put on your spare. It should be damn hard, but not damn near impossible. I've never had one come off and every time I have to replace a tire I think it was a little too close to impossible and I can back off some on the glue next time.

Everybody has heard stories about people that rolled a tire though, and that's why most people over-do it... including me.

What DiabloScott said.

Sedgemop 05-07-21 02:22 PM


Originally Posted by DiabloScott (Post 22049358)
Here's my test: take the air out of the tire and see how hard it is to get off... like you had a flat on the road and need to put on your spare. It should be damn hard, but not damn near impossible. I've never had one come off and every time I have to replace a tire I think it was a little too close to impossible and I can back off some on the glue next time.

Everybody has heard stories about people that rolled a tire though, and that's why most people over-do it... including me.


Originally Posted by jimmuller (Post 22049379)


What DiabloScott said.

Thanks, guys. Good advice.

smontanaro 05-07-21 03:01 PM


Originally Posted by Slowride79 (Post 22049181)
Thanks Skip. What brand of glue do you use? I have a couple tubes of the Conti....

I use Vittoria Mastik One. I have enough bikes with tubulars that I simply buy it by the can (on my second or third). I think cans + brushes are going to be less messy than tubes + brushes or fingers, but that's just my opinion.

genejockey 05-07-21 03:53 PM

I snagged a set of tubular wheels - 80s Shimano 600 hubs with Monthlery Pro rims - on Facebook Marketplace for $50. Didn't realize they were tubulars till I got them in hand. So I decided to take the plunge. I bought a pair of Conti Giros, and eventually settled on Jantex tape. As far as I can tell, they're on reasonably straight, with very little wandering tread and a slight hop are the valve.

So far, so good. I've done about 50 miles on them in two separate rides. I get a kick out of riding them, but honestly, they feel like....tires. Perhaps I'm just insensitive!

I actually got THREE Giros, so now the third is folded up under my saddle, with a spare toe strap.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62ac3bbe1c.jpg

Now, from what I've seen and read on the Internet (So you KNOW it must be true!!!), even without glue, the spare will get me home without rolling, assuming it's pumped up properly and that I don't push it too hard. What do y'all think? I COULD get a tube of glue and get it properly glued up, in case I need it. BUT my primary plan in case of a flat involves sealant and a valve core tool, with the hope that I can avoid using the spare unless the tire is badly cut.

Advice? Observations?

jimmuller 05-07-21 06:00 PM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22049574)
So far, so good. I've done about 50 miles on them in two separate rides. I get a kick out of riding them, but honestly, they feel like....tires. Perhaps I'm just insensitive!

I actually got THREE Giros, so now the third is folded up under my saddle, with a spare toe strap.

Now, from what I've seen and read on the Internet (So you KNOW it must be true!!!), even without glue, the spare will get me home without rolling, assuming it's pumped up properly and that I don't push it too hard. What do y'all think? I COULD get a tube of glue and get it properly glued up, in case I need it. BUT my primary plan in case of a flat involves sealant and a valve core tool, with the hope that I can avoid using the spare unless the tire is badly cut.

Advice? Observations?

To my backside and legs sewups are smoother and easier rolling, but what do I know?

You have the spare concept down pat.

+1 on tire sealant. The first time I had a puncture with one it sold me. The thing about sewup spares is you generally carry only one. With a clincher tube you can patch it many times if you just carry enough patches. With a sewup you swap out the punctured tire but now you have no more backup. Except that tire sealant lets you keep riding! When I got my first sewup flat while commuting in to work I worried for the rest of the day until I got within walking distance of home.

Dylansbob 05-07-21 09:08 PM

Well, that sucks.

I messily installed one of the dirt-cheap Maxxis tubulars onto the front wheel. Looks fairly straight and round. I glued the rear this morning, tube was holding air, now that I've glued it on it's no longer holding air. I'm hoping it's something with the valve stem extender and that I didn't somehow rip the tube.

Lazyass 05-08-21 04:11 AM


Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22049574)
I actually got THREE Giros, so now the third is folded up under my saddle, with a spare toe strap.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...62ac3bbe1c.jpg

You need to properly fold that tire up tight haha

https://i.postimg.cc/zvrsp87z/20190722-075010.jpg

SJX426 05-08-21 06:50 AM

@genejockey - You probably have not read all the posts in this thread! Somewhere deep in the content is this link
http://picasaweb.google.com/DiabloSc...gATubularTire#
This is the way I fold a tubular tire. I also put two applications of glue on the base tape of a new tubular.

This is a bit sloppy but it works. You will find that the lower priced tubulars and those with heavy tread and/or lower thread count, are harder to fold.
https://live.staticflickr.com/5490/1...29e7cff5_z.jpgSewup Clamp on Flickr

bertinjim 05-08-21 09:30 AM

SJX426 -
The link to the picassaweb instructions did not work.

DiabloScott 05-08-21 09:56 AM


Originally Posted by bertinjim (Post 22050321)
SJX426 -
The link to the picassaweb instructions did not work.

Diablo Scott's Spare Tubular Folding Photo Tutorial

genejockey 05-08-21 11:40 AM

(That is how I folded mine)

gkamieneski 05-08-21 08:57 PM

Agree on putting a few layers of glue on the base tape of the spare tubular before installing under the saddle. Doesn’t do a lot of good as a usable spare otherwise.

Lazyass 05-09-21 02:55 AM

This is how I fold it. The first fold is the length of your finger. Mine are real tight but I run 23's.

https://iamgerardthomas.com/fold-that-tub/

hazetguy 05-13-21 04:50 PM

Today's after work project. Mounted some Veloflex Vlaanderen on some oe spec Shimano 600/Mavic GP4 wheels that will eventually end up on my Ross Triad when it gets here. For now, gonna run them on my Colnago.
Gotta say that these were super easy to mount and wow, do they spin true. They are really, really nice tires. Can't wait to try them out.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...12396ab22b.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5be34d0dff.jpg

pastorbobnlnh 05-13-21 05:25 PM

hazetguy those wheels are stunning! Objects of Velo beauty! :D

hazetguy 05-13-21 05:59 PM

Thanks! I took a chance on a buy now/best offer ebay listing I had been watching for a while. The seller accepted my offer, and then I played the "will they be packed well? will they get damaged in transit?" mental waiting game until they arrived. I am more than pleased with them, because they are very true/spin nicely, and all I did was give them a light wipe-down to remove dust and light grease, and they shined up nicely. Need to repack the bearings, but that's a project for later this weekend.
Here's an "as arrived" pic:
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5d9acc546f.jpg

Lazyass 05-15-21 03:00 AM

FYI, I got a pinch flat on one of my tubulars when I hit some RR tracks at the wrong angle so I repaired it. I already had some Loctite fabric glue I had bought at Walmart and decided to try it and it works perfect to glue the basetaape back on. I've put a few hundred miles on it since the repair and it's fine.


https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/azAAA...Vls/s-l300.jpg

smontanaro 05-15-21 06:35 AM


Originally Posted by Lazyass (Post 22060285)
already had some Loctite fabric glue I had bought at Walmart and decided to try it and it works perfect to glue the basetaape back on.

The final test will be to see if the base tape stays attached to the casing or the rim next time you remove the tire. ;)

Lazyass 05-15-21 11:11 AM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 22060417)
The final test will be to see if the base tape stays attached to the casing or the rim next time you remove the tire. ;)

Well from inspecting it after it dried I think there is zero chance it will come unattached. And probably the next time I remove it will be to throw it away.

smontanaro 05-15-21 04:22 PM

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I threw together some pix of how I glue tubulars. I have no tripod and my only potential assistant was busy with other stuff (and probably wouldn't have been patient enough to hang around for the whole shebang), so with the exception of one very short video clips, it's just an album of images.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVJYeUq

SJX426 05-19-21 01:08 PM

@Lazyass - I would do it that way but I like glue to stay on the base tape and not get on the tread.

Flatforkcrown 06-08-21 08:33 PM

So, after years of wanting to try tubulars I finally gave them a shot. I recently got a 1973 motobecane le champion that had some 80s suntour hubs with aero section matrix rims, but was otherwise all original. Since it was just asking for tubulars, I sourced a set of high flange campy hubs laced to fiamme rims, and glued some 30mm corsa g+ to them. The ride is amazing.

obrentharris 06-09-21 07:59 AM


Originally Posted by Flatforkcrown (Post 22094058)
So, after years of wanting to try tubulars I finally gave them a shot. I recently got a 1973 motobecane le champion that had some 80s suntour hubs with aero section matrix rims, but was otherwise all original. Since it was just asking for tubulars, I sourced a set of high flange campy hubs laced to fiamme rims, and glued some 30mm corsa g+ to them. The ride is amazing.

Welcome to the club!
Brent

semroc 06-09-21 03:50 PM

Ya those corsa go's are real nice. I have some new Scwhalbe pro ones on now. Great tire. Real lively.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.