Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

nlerner 12-22-17 03:45 PM

Not an English-made 3-speed but one on the spirit that I picked up today for relatively small money: Taiwanese-made Schwinn Collegiate with Shimano rear hub (and bell crank on the non-drive side w/ coaster brake), 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, and a funky front basket. Front fork looks a bit tweaked but it tracked straight on my test ride. Finish is in quite good shape:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4726/...93834ed9_c.jpg[/url]

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4642/...9c496f31_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4595/...ba6d726b_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4593/...9692e936_c.jpg

gster 12-22-17 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 592964

adventurepdx 12-22-17 06:36 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20067557)
Not an English-made 3-speed but one on the spirit that I picked up today for relatively small money: Taiwanese-made Schwinn Collegiate with Shimano rear hub (and bell crank on the non-drive side w/ coaster brake), 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, and a funky front basket. Front fork looks a bit tweaked but it tracked straight on my test ride. Finish is in quite good shape:

Nice! Had one of those Tiawanese (Giant?) 80's Collegiates just like that. Enjoyed it before it got stolen.

One thing to note, though is that those 26" x 1 3/8" wheels are the Schwinn specific size, not the common British size. The Schwinn size is 597mm (which would be 26" x 1 1/4" in British specs), whereas the British size is 590mm. Unfortunately there is not much selection in tires for the Schwinn size, maybe one or two cheap Kenda/CST offerings. And the sizes are off just enough that you probably can't get the 590 tire on the 597 rim.

It's really only a big deal if you a) want a decent tire selection and b) stop in the rain (those wheels are steel, IIRC.) Otherwise, building new 590 wheels with the Sun CR18 rims is an option.

nlerner 12-22-17 07:05 PM


Originally Posted by adventurepdx (Post 20067834)
Nice! Had one of those Tiawanese (Giant?) 80's Collegiates just like that. Enjoyed it before it got stolen.

One thing to note, though is that those 26" x 1 3/8" wheels are the Schwinn specific size, not the common British size. The Schwinn size is 597mm (which would be 26" x 1 1/4" in British specs), whereas the British size is 590mm. Unfortunately there is not much selection in tires for the Schwinn size, maybe one or two cheap Kenda/CST offerings. And the sizes are off just enough that you probably can't get the 590 tire on the 597 rim.

It's really only a big deal if you a) want a decent tire selection and b) stop in the rain (those wheels are steel, IIRC.) Otherwise, building new 590 wheels with the Sun CR18 rims is an option.

I wondered about that before picking the bike up, but they’re both 590mm wheels (and, yes, steel rims).

adventurepdx 12-22-17 07:10 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20067872)
I wondered about that before picking the bike up, but they’re both 590mm wheels (and, yes, steel rims).

Interesting! My bike from that era was definitely 597. It would seem more logical for a bike coming from Taiwan to have the 590 wheels, but maybe Schwinn still had a pile of 597 wheels they wanted to use up?

johnnyspaghetti 12-23-17 10:28 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20067615)

This is a unfortunate piece junk


https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/s...aleigh+chopper

https://images.craigslist.org/00202_...cz_300x300.jpg

johnnyspaghetti 12-23-17 03:32 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20067557)
Not an English-made 3-speed but one on the spirit that I picked up today for relatively small money: Taiwanese-made Schwinn Collegiate with Shimano rear hub (and bell crank on the non-drive side w/ coaster brake), 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, and a funky front basket. Front fork looks a bit tweaked but it tracked straight on my test ride. Finish is in quite good shape:


https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4642/...9c496f31_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4595/...ba6d726b_c.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4593/...9692e936_c.jpg

I have a box full of a 71 or 72 Collegiate with good chrome all fasteners, parts, the solid steel fork included, no frame. I don't think anything will fit that one except the brakes.

dweenk 12-23-17 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 20067557)
Not an English-made 3-speed but one on the spirit that I picked up today for relatively small money: Taiwanese-made Schwinn Collegiate with Shimano rear hub (and bell crank on the non-drive side w/ coaster brake), 26 x 1 3/8" wheels, and a funky front basket. Front fork looks a bit tweaked but it tracked straight on my test ride. Finish is in quite good shape:

I have a ton of internal Shimano 3 speed parts if you should need them - yours for the cost of shipping (but no face plate for the shifter. I think I have 1 or 2 bell cranks.

nlerner 12-23-17 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 20069260)
I have a ton of internal Shimano 3 speed parts if you should need them - yours for the cost of shipping (but no face plate for the shifter. I think I have 1 or 2 bell cranks.

Thanks! So far, looks like all three gears and the coaster brake are working. I don’t whether or not to tempt fate and overhaul it.

johnnyspaghetti 12-23-17 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20064501)

The train has left the station. Some black lacquer on there to wet sand yet then clear after that. It is IMO too glossy. But all original paint is there.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...0464-local0&zw

clubman 12-23-17 07:20 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20068710)

In grade 7, it was cool.

BigChief 12-24-17 07:43 AM

By 7th grade, at least with the small group of friends I ran with, the Stingray style bikes were out of fashion. They were for little kids. What we wanted above all else was speed. A chromolly 10 speed was our harts desire, but we managed to go crazy fast on our stripped down English 3 speeds. In fact, the usual department store 10 speeds at the time felt clunky next or our 3 speed scorchers.

SirMike1983 12-24-17 08:55 AM

The blue Schwinn is a later, Giant-built model from Taiwan. I would not be surprised if it had 590 wheels because it's a later bike from a different builder that was made under contract to use the Schwinn name.

JohnDThompson 12-24-17 08:55 AM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20068710)

Raleigh made a small fortune on those.

gster 12-24-17 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson (Post 20070097)
Raleigh made a small fortune on those.

Actually saved the company (for a few more years) Global sales were falling in the mid to late 60's and Raleigh was slow to move on the 10 speed craze.
Just like the British Motorcycle Industry, they never saw the Honda 750 coming. The world was ready for a motorcycle that always started, ran, stopped and didn't leave a puddle of oil behind.
I still own a 1969 BSA 650.


Attachment 593143

clubman 12-24-17 12:27 PM

They didn't even see the CB160 coming in '66. The brits couldn't even build a reliable bike that could redline at 10,000.

I've ridden that bike, A Lightning, small tank? Love the torque on those beasts.

BigChief 12-24-17 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gster (Post 20070246)
Actually saved the company (for a few more years) Global sales were falling in the mid to late 60's and Raleigh was slow to move on the 10 speed craze.
Just like the British Motorcycle Industry, they never saw the Honda 750 coming The world was ready for a motorcycle that always always started, ran, stopped and didn't leave a puddle of oil behind.
I still own a 1969 BSA 650.


Attachment 593143

Wow!! gorgeous!! My first bike was a BSA 441 Victor. Had a bunch of different old Brit bikes, but hung on to my Bonnie

Attachment 593181

gster 12-24-17 01:49 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20070459)
Wow!! gorgeous!! My first bike was a BSA 441 Victor. Had a bunch of different old Brit bikes, but hung on to my Bonnie

Attachment 593181

To be fair. That photo was not my actual bike..
But mine is close.
I haven't ridden it in years as I honestly prefer riding the bicycles around town.
Merry Xmas BC!

johnnyspaghetti 12-27-17 01:19 AM

Why can' I find a serial number on this 64-65 frame? not by the seat lug. not on the bottom. I have all numbers except this not to be found on this 40 dollar bicycle. can't find it

BigChief 12-27-17 03:51 PM

That's where it should be on your bike. It doesn't surprise me that a frame got through without being stamped.

gster 12-27-17 04:05 PM


Originally Posted by BigChief (Post 20074934)
That's where it should be on your bike. It doesn't surprise me that a frame got through without being stamped.

Ditto, or so poorly stamped as to be virtually invisible.

johnnyspaghetti 12-27-17 04:11 PM

Hard to navigate some of these ad sites. it is 1000+mi away from me. Rudge Sports 23" full chaincover Bad picture $60

https://forsale.oodle.com/detail/vin...4622-logan-ut/

https://i.oodleimg.com/item/4753844622t_1m?1512925992

johnnyspaghetti 12-27-17 05:57 PM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 20074961)
Ditto, or so poorly stamped as to be virtually invisible.

Seat lug nothing. Scraped paint off BB possible-maybe-no.

clubman 12-27-17 08:27 PM


Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti (Post 20075161)
Seat lug nothing. Scraped paint off BB possible-maybe-no.

Why bother? I can't think of any instance where knowing the serial number of a 3 speed Sports has enhanced the value of the bike.

nlerner 12-27-17 08:46 PM

I also really doubt the veracity of the serial # dating schemes for 3-speeds. They're based mostly on wishes and hopes, rather than actual data.

johnnyspaghetti 12-28-17 04:27 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 20075406)
Why bother? I can't think of any instance where knowing the serial number of a 3 speed Sports has enhanced the value of the bike.

I have a serial number picture file of all my bicycles. Its property, the value has nothing to do with it. (what value?)

BigChief 12-28-17 05:25 AM

well then, a legitimate excuse to buy a new tool! I love when that happens.
https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-02624-C...K420FC14816AJE

plympton 12-28-17 07:15 AM

I haven't posted in a few weeks but my projects continue when I have time. Two Raleighs 52, 49 are totally stripped. All parts cleaned and now I am re-lacing the wheels. I laced a front wheel yesterday and I'm using a parts bike fork in my vise to try to true the rim. There's a learning curve here that will help me with the next 3 wheels. Both bikes will be rod brake bikes. There are areas where the chrome has worn thru on both the handle bars and brake parts but everything cleaned up well. Probably will paint the frames in the next week or two. I see the 52 decals for sale on line but not the 49 ones.

plympton 12-28-17 09:27 AM

About the rim tape. I measured the rim strip that I took off one of the rims and it about 15mm. It'sold and most likely has shrunk. What is the proper size? Has anybody ever tried sail tape? It's a good rubbery material and it sticks to itself.

johnnyspaghetti 12-28-17 09:51 AM


Originally Posted by plympton (Post 20076054)
About the rim tape. I measured the rim strip that I took off one of the rims and it about 15mm. It'sold and most likely has shrunk. What is the proper size? Has anybody ever tried sail tape? It's a good rubbery material and it sticks to itself.

I have often done a couple of laps around with simple vinyl electrical tape then cutting out the valve hole. It does the job. The fabric nipple protection found on most the English bikes I have had is usually quite deteriorated and rust has embedded it into the rim making it impossible to save & reuse. A guy wants to take a wire brush to the inside of the rim and get the rust cleaned up some. I'm sure rim strips can be found or made cut out of and old tube.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.