Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Bike Forum insider jokes and jargon (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222180)

pcb 01-23-21 06:50 PM

Are we talking about terms kinda limited to C&V discussions, or to the nerdier bicycle world in general? Kinda feels like we're throwing a wider net?

Already mentioned, but some add'l throughts:

BSO = Bike-Shaped Object: implied in Wildwood's post, but to spell it out---cheap/crappy/heavy extremely low-end bike that resembles a bicycle, but rides like crap
Flip: to sell an item, ostensibly for profit; this can simply mean "sell/sold" ("I bought it, rode it a while but didn't really like it, so I flipped it.") or something bought with the intention to resell ("I bought it to flip.")
Flipper: usually refers to a seller who appears to primarily buy product to resell it; strike me as used mostly disparagingly, especially when the offered items are overpriced or poorly/inaccurately described
DKO Flipper: I don't know what DKO stands for.....
Drew/Drewed: already defined pretty well, but just wanted to add that I think the term came into use during the fixie craze, when many frames were Drewed to better resemble purpose-built track/fixed frames

Not yet mentioned:

Restomod/Restomod: older frame built with modern parts, I think the term comes from the car restoration world?
1x/2x/3x: single/double/triple chainrings (prounounced "1-by," "2-by," "3-by")
1xZ/2xZ/3xZ: front/rear gearing, as in 1x9 meaning 1 chainring, 9 cogs ("1-by-nine")

southpawboston 01-23-21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21891583)
Good to see you posting here. Still need to meet up at the "next" FFD, whenever that will be.

Yeah the past few years I had to skip because of scheduling conflicts-- I always seem to be busy those weekends in Oct.

And I guess FFD could be a C&V specific acronym.

southpawboston 01-23-21 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by pcb (Post 21891619)
DKO Flipper: I don't know what DKO stands for.....

I didn't know this one but google solved it:

"DKO" flippers: I coined the term DKO on bike forums several years ago to describe those flippers out there that find bikes cheap, do the bare minimum, and turn them for a profit. DKO stands for Dirt Knocker Offer, there are plenty of them out there. DKOs get a bad rap, but I don't have a problem with them. The one issue is most of their customers ass-u-me that the bikes are ready to ride. They are not, and in fact are often far from ready to ride. So they are best suited for someone handy, with the time/tools/aptitude/space to refurbish the bike properly and get it back on the road.

merziac 01-23-21 08:59 PM

Not necessarily exclusive to our ongoing "tomfoolery". ;)

POS, usually implied tactfully.

POA, price of admission, usually spelled out.

ascherer 01-23-21 09:06 PM

n+1
Universal formula to determine the maximum quanitity of bicycles one needs; where n =[# of bicycles currently owned]

gugie 01-23-21 09:25 PM

Learning some stuff here!

LBS = Local Bike Shop, maybe one of the most used acronyms here that a noob wouldn't know.

bargo68 01-23-21 09:33 PM

Drope the hamer.

It's when your attack is so badass you forget how to spell.

merziac 01-23-21 09:51 PM

Couple more probably not just ours.

Fred = me
Ludite = me too.

;)

https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...ris-or-a-fred/

thook 01-23-21 10:30 PM

i've only seen this term come up in discussion recently here on BF, so maybe it's not exclusive to BF or the bike world of jargon in general, however....."bob's your uncle!"...meaning, from what i understand, "that answers/fixes that"

oh, and two terms being more familiar (if they're relevant?)
1) "masher/mashing" = one with or the tendency to cycle using the highest gears possible
2) "spinner/spinning" = one with or the tendency to cycle using lower gears and higher cadence

Darth Lefty 01-23-21 11:02 PM

Load bearing decal is a favorite of mine

Reynolds 01-23-21 11:07 PM

That'll buff right off! Said sarcastically about a bike damaged/corroded beyond any hope of repairing it.

nlerner 01-23-21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 21891924)
That'll buff right off! Said sarcastically about a bike damaged/corroded beyond any hope of repairing it.

The corollary to that is “put some JB Weld on it, and you’re good to go.”

bikingshearer 01-23-21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 21891801)
n+1
Universal formula to determine the maximum quanitity of bicycles one needs; where n =[# of bicycles currently owned]

Don't forget the related concept of s-1 for determining the maximum quantity bikes you can possess, where s = [number of bikes at which your significant other boots your backside to the curb].

bikingshearer 01-23-21 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by thook (Post 21891883)
i've only seen this term come up in discussion recently here on BF, so maybe it's not exclusive to BF or the bike world of jargon in general, however....."bob's your uncle!"...meaning, from what i understand, "that answers/fixes that"

oh, and two terms being more familiar (if they're relevant?)
1) "masher/mashing" = one with or the tendency to cycle using the highest gears possible
2) "spinner/spinning" = one with or the tendency to cycle using lower gears and higher cadence

"Bob's your uncle" dates back to the late 1800s and originated in the British Isles. Thus spake Wikipedia.

SurferRosa 01-24-21 01:33 AM

What if Bob was your uncle, but now wants to be known as your Aunt Babs?

Darth Lefty 01-24-21 01:48 AM

Then he’s your huckleberry, obviously

thook 01-24-21 02:45 AM

"babs is your aunt" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though

otoh, perhaps you've just started the nuovo classic antithetical expression; "babs is your aunt" = well, THAT's not gonna work at all!!!

P!N20 01-24-21 02:58 AM

The box thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-open-box.html

SNAFU: Situation normal; all ****ed up.

Campagnolo: my bike looks amazing.

Shimano: my bike works amazing.

Suntour: couldn't afford Campy

Shimergo: hell awaits.

Calling bikes 'she': don't do this.

nlerner 01-24-21 06:00 AM

Zombie thread: self explanatory

iab 01-24-21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by base2 (Post 21891403)

Originally Posted by bargo68 (Post 21891832)
Drope the hamer.

It's when your attack is so badass you forget how to spell.

These are terms from the 41, not used much in C&V.

The 41 - The road forum on BF
C&V - The classic and vintage form on BF
BF - Bike Forums

mountaindave 01-24-21 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 21891313)
Definitions, please! Links to original source if available.

Oh jeez, are you the professor or the madman?

nlerner 01-24-21 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by mountaindave (Post 21892112)
Oh jeez, are you the professor or the madman?

The mad professor?

mountaindave 01-24-21 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Wildwood (Post 21891457)
BSO

See POS.

Bike Toss: what one does with a BSO that comes in for repairs and the owner realizes that they actually have a POS.

LBS: where one goes for the occasional bike toss.

Spaghetti Legs 01-24-21 07:58 AM

BoC - Box o Crap - box of unwanted, but often usable parts passed around through the post amongst forum members, occasionally disappearing and having to start over again.

Breaks - the devices some people use to slow and stop a bike. Often thought to work just as well as brakes.

smontanaro 01-24-21 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist (Post 21891453)
I have a vague recollection of the term 'Drew' matching this definition and being hung with that title, because of a forum poster named Drew, who had posted some single speed mutilation atrocity he committed on a frame.

I thought it was because the original example of the "genre" had the name "Drew" painted on the frame. This was before my time though.