Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   My Vittoria Randoneur II 28mm Tire and CR18 Review (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1063998)

jgcycle 05-17-16 07:34 PM

My Vittoria Randoneur II 28mm Tire and CR18 Review

First, do not use this combination.

I was looking for a commuter tire at around 28 mm so I could put fenders on my old sport/touring steel bike.

Mounting these on CR18 rims is next to impossible. These are directional tires so I had to take them off and flip them (duh) and they are harder to take off then put them on. I'm returning these, and it took me forever to take them off, to take off: use 2 levers at once and open up the carcass over the rim, you won't be able to hook the levers on a spoke, and then use a good steel hammer to knock one lever further down the rim. Once one complete side is over the rim, jam a screwdriver through and use a lot of leverage. Screw it - don't buy them, cut them off.

I rode them once and they feel great, the rubber was great, the ride was great, (and look cool), but being commuter tires, they have to be ready to change a flat. These are not at this spec.

And then another gripe is at 28 mm advertised these measured 25 mm on these rims inflated to 80 psi, looking for a little more accuracy boys. Pissed off.

I know they may get a little easier and a little wider, technique is important, CR18 rims, yada-yada, but I'm going with another tire.

mstateglfr 05-18-16 07:23 AM

I have the same tires in 32 mounted to some CR18s. They were the most difficult tire to mount as there were flat spots on both wheels no matter what tricks I did or 2 different bike shops did. One finally took some large tire grip and yanked on the tires so the bead mounted properly.
I havent had a flat on them yet(speaks to their protection perhaps), but man I dread the day I get one.

I have 35mm Vittoria Randonneur Pro tires on another bike. They are folding tires and mounted quickly and perfect the first time. They are not on CR18s though.

As for sizing, the 32s measure 31. The 35s measure 34.5

DrIsotope 05-18-16 08:49 AM

I attempted to buy a pair of Randonneurs as temporary tires while my tubeless were off for warranty replacement. With the combined force myself and 3 LBS employees, we could not get the tire onto the rim. There was a good 18" of bead that wouldn't go. My rims are 23mm internal and fairly deep-- I've mounted virtually every tire previous with fingers only, and removal is a single lever just to get the bead over the lip.

I put Vittoria Rubino Pro on my wife's bike, and they went on lightning fast. Those particular Vittorias are just tiny. I'm kinda glad to see that it wasn't just me.

Cougrrcj 05-18-16 09:48 AM

I have one of those 28mm Randonneurs on the rear of my Miyata out in Phoenix. Stock rim (Ukai 20-A), and yes, it was a PITA to install and get evenly centered on the rim. Initially I was really straining to get the tire on using three plastic levers, but once I sprayed the bead and rim with a soapy-water solution, it went MUCH easier. Hey, auto tires need 'lube' to aid in mounting, so why not bike tires, eh? Then I just rolled the wheel on the driveway, un-inflated, with a moderate downward pressure until the bead seating was even all the way around.

ypsetihw 05-18-16 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jgcycle (Post 18776341)
And then another gripe is at 28 mm advertised these measured 25 mm on these rims inflated to 80 psi, looking for a little more accuracy boys. Pissed off.

quoted size is not regulated by anyone, and tire size can vary considerably from what is advertised especially when considering rim width. this is partially due to the fact that size is quoted when properly inflated on a "nominal" rim, but they don't ever say what that "nominal" size is. they obviously speced it to something other than an 18mm OD rim, not their fault, and this is a trivial thing about which to be "pissed off." it is no surprise that inflated tires measure narrower on narrower rims and wider on wider rims. this is common knowledge.

FWIW I have had good luck with the zaffiros from vittoria and I've even had excellent performance and easy fitting from the cheapest kenda/duro old style 27x1 1/14 tires that can be had on ebay for $15.

kwhiner 01-21-22 06:47 PM

Randonneur w/CR18

Originally Posted by jgcycle (Post 18776341)
First, do not use this combination.

I was looking for a commuter tire at around 28 mm so I could put fenders on my old sport/touring steel bike.

Mounting these on CR18 rims is next to impossible. These are directional tires so I had to take them off and flip them (duh) and they are harder to take off then put them on. I'm returning these, and it took me forever to take them off, to take off: use 2 levers at once and open up the carcass over the rim, you won't be able to hook the levers on a spoke, and then use a good steel hammer to knock one lever further down the rim. Once one complete side is over the rim, jam a screwdriver through and use a lot of leverage. Screw it - don't buy them, cut them off.

I rode them once and they feel great, the rubber was great, the ride was great, (and look cool), but being commuter tires, they have to be ready to change a flat. These are not at this spec.

I know they may get a little easier and a little wider, technique is important, CR18 rims, yada-yada, but I'm going with another tire.

Can relate, tires went on fairly easily, but coming off was more than just a small PITA. Mine were 700x32 and had the hardest time getting the irons under the Bead to pry up. Seriously thinking of just 86ing them as you say 20+ mins just to get the tube out of the tire no way!!

Tourist in MSN 01-21-22 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by kwhiner (Post 22382813)
Can relate, tires went on fairly easily, but coming off was more than just a small PITA. Mine were 700x32 and had the hardest time getting the irons under the Bead to pry up. Seriously thinking of just 86ing them as you say 20+ mins just to get the tube out of the tire no way!!

Five and a half year old thread resurrected.

djb 01-22-22 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 22382875)
Five and a half year old thread resurrected.

completely reasonable, that's how long it took them to get the tire off and back on again.