Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cycling bag (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1238970)

robkyle 09-17-21 09:49 AM

Cycling bag

I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c of COVID I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?

surak 09-17-21 10:03 AM

You can fit what you've listed in regular bike jersey pockets. That's why they exist. But if you are one of those opposed to wearing clothes meant for cycling when cycling, then something like a hip pack (aka fanny pack, European carryall) or bar bag would work. I wouldn't recommend anything worn over the shoulders unless it were extremely light.

Iride01 09-17-21 10:11 AM

Organized tour or just you and maybe some friends?

Organized tours many times have a sag wagon that will take a bag or two ahead to the next destination.

For the stuff you are wanting to carry, I've got an couple empty back pockets I could use for them. Don't you?

Maelochs 09-17-21 10:13 AM

Any light-duty knapsack should work. A fanny pack might cut into your midsection depending on how you are built, but i have seen people ride with them (I couldn't even when I was thin, but I am not representative of any group with more than one member.)

I would do a bar bag personally. I don't like carrying things on my body. But whatever .... it's your ride.

Rage 09-17-21 10:30 AM

Maybe a small sling-type bag? I got a pretty good Timbuk2 one for cheap.

Rick 09-17-21 10:32 AM

I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?
A Camelbak with a pocket would allow you to properly stay hydrated.

cyclezen 09-17-21 11:52 AM

HYdration Back pack - 10-12 L, would do easily, narrower style so you have free shoulder movement, sternum strap, and a 'waist' strap is also good to keep any load from shifting. You can always snug and tie up a waist strap when and if you don;t wish to use.
something with good back pads or other method to allow back to vent.
many have a loop to attach a tail light.
I use an Outdoor Products Iceberg - 20 yrs old - a bit different than the newer model, but similar. Mine is closer to body than newer version.
cinches up well to keep load controlled and close to body
Comes with 2 L hydration bladder - I can use without filling or fill as much and as little as I think I might want.
not fancy - very reasonable cost , $35 ish and when on sale $25 ish ??? - durable to say the least - hydration bladder & hose/mouthpiece are basic, but work well.
replaced original hydration bladder & hose about 8 yrs ago... still goin strong. I use it about 2x a week, whenever I hike or ride MTB into the Local back country...
have a hip pack, but rarely use cause I don;t have enough 'butt shelf' to stop it from sliding down, and the waist strap needs to be super tight.
I've seen some nice Camelbaks, not that familiar with models - my pack might outlive me ! LOL !
Plenty of similar other brands/models out there... go shopping !
I did just get this : Waist pack with Shoulder straps , to try for XC skiing this winter. chinese made... worth the test... for carrying just a ski toque, snack bars, .5L water bottle and a very light wind shell, gonna be tight fit... not used yet... may try for cycling next Spring/summer.
Thx
Yuri

kahn 09-17-21 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22234133)
Any light-duty knapsack should work. A fanny pack might cut into your midsection depending on how you are built, but i have seen people ride with them (I couldn't even when I was thin, but I am not representative of any group with more than one member.)

I would do a bar bag personally. I don't like carrying things on my body. But whatever .... it's your ride.

Did you not read the advice above - CARRY IT ON YOUR BODY! That's what your body, ahem, pockets are for! I personally don't like anything touching my snot rag which is what, at least, one of my pockets is for.

A632 09-17-21 12:50 PM

Bontrager have a range of 'seat packs', small, medium and large (small has a nice quick-release system). Maybe an import for you though? Having used the small and medium can highly recommend. [size=13px] [/size]

Maelochs 09-17-21 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22234398)
Did you not read the advice above - CARRY IT ON YOUR BODY! That's what your body, ahem, pockets are for! I personally don't like anything touching my snot rag which is what, at least, one of my pockets is for.

Um .... yeash .... if I had known you were the Stephen Hawking osf toting stuff ...

The guy asks about a bag. Maybe he wants advice .... about a bag? How could we possibly know?

I carry some stuff in my jersey pockets---not all of my jerseys, have big pockets, though, and we don't even know if he rides in a jersey or a t-shirt or what.

I would rather carry some light stuff in my jersey--stuff I might need on the way---but I do Not like wearing a knapsack, which this guy was considering, so I helped him with what he wanted (a concept apparently foreign to you) and offered him alternatives---Different Alternatives than were already offered, because why repeat?

But since you Know the right way to do things .... I won't bother with you further.

I cannot wait to tell everyone I met the Stephen Hawking of carrying stuff on bikes!

kahn 09-17-21 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22234445)
Um .... yeash .... if I had known you were the Stephen Hawking osf toting stuff ...

The guy asks about a bag. Maybe he wants advice .... about a bag? How could we possibly know?

I carry some stuff in my jersey pockets---not all of my jerseys, have big pockets, though, and we don't even know if he rides in a jersey or a t-shirt or what.

I would rather carry some light stuff in my jersey--stuff I might need on the way---but I do Not like wearing a knapsack, which this guy was considering, so I helped him with what he wanted (a concept apparently foreign to you) and offered him alternatives---Different Alternatives than were already offered, because why repeat?

But since you Know the right way to do things .... I won't bother with you further.

I cannot wait to tell everyone I met the Stephen Hawking of carrying stuff on bikes!

I guess my tongue was not firmly in my cheek.........

skidder 09-17-21 01:19 PM

I've successfully used a fanny pack on longer rides where I wanted a few extra things. I have it just loose enough so it hangs around my waist without any pressure, and it seems to hold up high enough on my waist while in the normal slightly-bent-over riding position on a drop bar road bike. Works for me. I've also got a large seat bag from Banjo Bros that expands/contracts based on what I'm carrying.

mstateglfr 09-17-21 01:41 PM

handlebar bag.
saddle wedge bag.

pick one, then find the size you need. Neither need to be a big bag on the bike, so you neednt worry about that.

Maelochs 09-17-21 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22234445)

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22234398)

Originally Posted by kahn (Post 22234462)
I guess my tongue was not firmly in my cheek.........

Well, sometimes my head is stuck firmly in my ...... cheeks, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks Stephen. :D

wolfchild 09-17-21 01:58 PM

Any good quality small backpack is good for carrying stuff...Camelback is ideal because you also get a hydration system with it.

Ironfish653 09-17-21 01:58 PM

I’ve used a Mountainsmith lumbar pack (like a big fanny pack) as a commuter bag, in lieu of a dedicated bike pack, or a two-strap backpack. I wore it a little higher than I would for hiking, at the waist, rather than on the hips, so when you’re leaning forward on the bike, it rides on your mid-back, rather than on your tail.

There are a number of cross-body bags in the EDC (Every Day Carry) space that might work as well. Smaller than a classic Messenger Bag, they wear at or below the shoulder blades, but you can still get them around to the front for easy access. Some of them are pretty low-key, or you can go ’Tacti-cool’ if that’s your thing

caloso 09-17-21 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by robkyle (Post 22234090)
I have a week long road bike tour coming up. Partly b/c of COVID I’m looking for a mousette (small backpack) to carry hand sanitizer, face mask, rain slicker, cash, etc. in. I do carry a small tool bag on the bike, and am not really interested in carrying a larger bag on the bike. A Google search turns up only messenger type off-the-shoulder type bags. Any suggestions?

I'd just put those in jersey pockets. All that will fit, plus phone, food, arm warmers, etc.

Elvo 09-17-21 03:26 PM

Burrito bag

Rolla 09-17-21 03:26 PM

Chrome Kadet or Mini Kadet (below):

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cae1a7ab1.png

Korina 09-17-21 08:25 PM

I'll second the Burrito Bag.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/13...g?v=1629474976

teejaywhy 09-17-21 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22234694)
Chrome Kadet or Mini Kadet (below):

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2cae1a7ab1.png

Worst
Idea
Ever

Rolla 09-17-21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by teejaywhy (Post 22235079)
Worst
Idea
Ever

I have the slightly larger version and quite like it. Ever tried one?

teejaywhy 09-17-21 09:20 PM

OP asked about a backpack.

12-18 LTR size recommended for biking. Most will accept a water bladder. (BONUS!)
Camelback - easy to find - I have the MULE. 12 ltr (?)
Osprey - my favorite, not just for biking, my smallest is the Escapist 18
REI - Their house brand is a good value

teejaywhy 09-17-21 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22235083)
I have the slightly larger version and quite like it. Ever tried one?

Riding a bike?

I have not tried one, It looks clumsy.

kahn 09-17-21 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Korina (Post 22235050)

I third it. Got the smallest one.