Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.3 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1233876)

big john 07-19-21 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22148180)
Work being stupid is the story of my life - at least you got to ride today, I got to spend my morning learning that at 41 I have significant hearing loss on one ear and likely need a hearing aid unless an MRI turns up a mechanical cause.

I got a notice in the mail last week that said my insurance would cover part of hearing aids and I may be able to get them for "as low as $375 per ear". Friends who have them say they don't use them on the bike.

DougRNS 07-19-21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22147893)
Again?

In my world even a skeptic expects a series of appointments before the desired result is achieved.

bampilot06 07-19-21 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22148096)
Since you're replacing the BB you may as well put on a left side crankarm PM while you have it apart....

If you are volunteering yours I will pm you my address. Thanks!

Everytime I start putting money aside for a PM something like this happens. So, it’s still gunna be some time before I get one unfortunately. It would be cool to just get a used one for cheap if I could find it just to see how it works and what not. The power meter cost is only part of the problem. For me to use the power meter I would need a new cycling computer as well. So that adds 300.00 roughly to any power meter cost.
Also, with my future looking more promising job wise, Wife and I are thinking about another child. If that discussion gets more serious, than I told her I would need a trainer before the baby comes. She agreed, but that would come from what ever power meter fund I have at that time.

Did I mention my rear light is acting up lately?
Luckily bontrager has a cheapo one for 14.00 dollars I like. Plan on grabbing that in the future.

Mojo31 07-19-21 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22148141)
So if I buy enough cars I will never have to do another oil change?

Yep.

Mojo31 07-19-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22148198)
Unknown, it just popped up one day a couple of years ago, really bad tinnitus, plugged feeling in ear, etc. I didn't really notice that hearing was different until recently when I couldn't really hear the alarm with the good ear down on the pillow.

I have the same, but can trace it to a particular event involving loud noises.

Velo Vol 07-19-21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 22148198)
Unknown, it just popped up one day a couple of years ago, really bad tinnitus, plugged feeling in ear, etc. I didn't really notice that hearing was different until recently when I couldn't really hear the alarm with the good ear down on the pillow.

Bummer. Hearing is weird.

phrantic09 07-19-21 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22148201)
I got a notice in the mail last week that said my insurance would cover part of hearing aids and I may be able to get them for "as low as $375 per ear". Friends who have them say they don't use them on the bike.

I wouldn't either

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22148225)
If you are volunteering yours I will pm you my address. Thanks!

Everytime I start putting money aside for a PM something like this happens. So, it’s still gunna be some time before I get one unfortunately. It would be cool to just get a used one for cheap if I could find it just to see how it works and what not. The power meter cost is only part of the problem. For me to use the power meter I would need a new cycling computer as well. So that adds 300.00 roughly to any power meter cost.
Also, with my future looking more promising job wise, Wife and I are thinking about another child. If that discussion gets more serious, than I told her I would need a trainer before the baby comes. She agreed, but that would come from what ever power meter fund I have at that time.

Did I mention my rear light is acting up lately?
Luckily bontrager has a cheapo one for 14.00 dollars I like. Plan on grabbing that in the future.

I hear you, I've been putting off new shoes for a while.

Velo Vol 07-19-21 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by DougRNS (Post 22148207)
In my world even a skeptic expects a series of appointments before the desired result is achieved.

How, theoretically, does physical therapy fix a back disc?

MoAlpha 07-19-21 10:48 AM

How bad are SRAM chains? I think I've used them in the past with no ill effects and they're the cheapest out there right now.

genejockey 07-19-21 10:54 AM

Try it and let us know!

datlas 07-19-21 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22148316)
How bad are SRAM chains? I think I've used them in the past with no ill effects and they're the cheapest out there right now.

I believe they are fine. Might be marginally more noisy than Shimano but otherwise no concerns.

genejockey 07-19-21 11:05 AM

I think I was in my 40s when I realized I had high frequency hearing loss in my right ear. I was listening to "Eleanor Rigby" through headphones. In those early days of the stereo era, record producers didn't know what to do with it, so they experimented. In this case, George Martin put Paul's singing of the verses completely on the right channel. The chorus was centered, so at the end of "Ah, look at all the lonely people", Paul starts singing the verse, and he sounds muffled. A bit of experimentation and I discovered that he sounded normal through my left ear, but muffled on the right. Not quieter, necessarily, but the consonants were less audible. High frequencies.

I blame my first job at Genentech. Our lab had desks for the RA's at the end of the bench, and mine put the bench to my right. On the bench I had two loud, cheap microcentrifuges, which I had to run a lot while sitting at the desk. Spend enough time with a loud noise on one side, and I figure it will damage the hearing on that side.

MoAlpha 07-19-21 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22148351)
I believe they are fine. Might be marginally more noisy than Shimano but otherwise no concerns.

Thanks. I can ride with hearing protection, as long as people shout "clear" really loud at the intersections. Actually, the SRAM chain is intended for the secondary bike, which is not ridden in groups because it gets spooked and tries to throw me.

LesterOfPuppets 07-19-21 11:09 AM

Ideally you'd have one car for each day of the week.

Velo Vol 07-19-21 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22148354)
Thanks. I can ride with hearing protection, as long as people shout "clear" really loud at the intersections. Actually, the SRAM chain is intended for the secondary bike, which is not ridden in groups because it gets spooked and tries to throw me.

I wear these when mowing (not a paid endorsement).

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2c9141878.jpeg

MoAlpha 07-19-21 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22148363)

Thank you. I assume the "bow" is worn over the helmet.

Velo Vol 07-19-21 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22148369)
Thank you. I assume the "bow" is worn over the helmet.

I don't wear a helmet while mowing.

That may complicate things.

datlas 07-19-21 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22148354)

Maybe they should point out the cars?

bampilot06 07-19-21 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 22148316)

Thats what I am running now. I didn’t like how much noise it made compared to shimano, but it’s worked fine. I’ll prolly get another one because finding shimano with a quick link has gotten difficult.

LesterOfPuppets 07-19-21 11:28 AM

I run 8sp and 9sp Sram chains all the time. Only had Shimano 11sp so far.

bampilot06 07-19-21 11:34 AM

Also sram chains are multi directional so if you are simple minded like me, it helps.

Mojo31 07-19-21 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 22148363)

Lame. Time to step up your game.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...65f63d0d96.jpg

MoAlpha 07-19-21 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 22148397)
Maybe they should point out the cars?

There's too many to point to and I can see most of them.

big john 07-19-21 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 22148362)
Ideally you'd have one car for each day of the week.

I've had as many as 5 cars at one time. I keep thinking about getting another old fixer and playing with it but life is simpler with just one.
One of the best things about retirement is I don't have to drive every day and I rarely get stuck in traffic.

Mojo31 07-19-21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 22148451)
I've had as many as 5 cars at one time. I keep thinking about getting another old fixer and playing with it but life is simpler with just one.
One of the best things about retirement is I don't have to drive every day and I rarely get stuck in traffic.

When we had 5 it was just one too many. Three is the sweet spot for us as we like to have one to use for "dirty" jobs and to take places that are "questionable."