Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

adventurepdx 04-18-16 12:01 PM


Originally Posted by smontanaro (Post 18699316)
A pair of his-n-hers Raleigh Superbes here in Chicagoland. Price seems kind of steep to me, but I know nothing about them.

RALEIGH SUPERBE

http://images.craigslist.org/00b0b_j...Ik_600x450.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/00O0O_l...Bo_600x450.jpg


Originally Posted by 3speedslow (Post 18699383)
^^ Large men's frame bring a little more.

What @3speedslow said. Plus BOTH bikes have the rear racks, full dynamo lighting, and Brooks B72 saddles still on them. So I would consider $625 for the pair to be fair.

bmthom.gis 04-18-16 01:23 PM

Just got done a little mid afternoon jaunt! Somewhere between 6 and 10 miles (I should have probably started up Strava). What a terrific day (temps in the mid 70s when I started and lower 80s when I got back) to be out on my Sports! One of the LBS managers was diggin' the bike. Always a nice feeling.

3speedslow 04-18-16 01:27 PM

Don't forget the pump, Adventurepdx! Shined up, those things attract dollars.

You're right about the Ladies bike. It also is nicely equipped. More often, they are a source of parts and not counted as a thing to be ridden... guilty.

gster 04-18-16 02:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Strange Tandem Folding 3 Speed
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516601http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516602http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516603

JohnDThompson 04-18-16 04:34 PM

Wow. That's got to ride like a wet noodle!

Daniellepurple 04-18-16 05:13 PM

My Raleigh Sports
 
2 Attachment(s)
Return to the 3 speed bike. My mother had one like this in the 70's except hers was brown. In the late eighties when i was big enough, i rode hers for a little bit and the other kids made fun of me because it was "old junk" while they all had their brand new bicycles from Kmart or Venture. But i liked riding it and continued to for a couple years until we moved to an apt and got rid of bikes because we had nowhere to keep them. I got this one from a local bike co-op and put some new tires on it. Love It!!!!! It is so different from my 82 Schwinn 10 speed. This is going to be my flatland grocery getter and the other will be for hills and going a little bit faster.
I enjoyed reading so many posts in this thread and have been learning a lot. Thanks.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516628http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516629

arex 04-18-16 05:25 PM

Holy cow...that's awesome.



Originally Posted by gster (Post 18699973)


dweenk 04-18-16 05:37 PM


Originally Posted by Daniellepurple (Post 18700492)
Return to the 3 speed bike. My mother had one like this in the 70's except hers was brown. In the late eighties when i was big enough, i rode hers for a little bit and the other kids made fun of me because it was "old junk" while they all had their brand new bicycles from Kmart or Venture. But i liked riding it and continued to for a couple years until we moved to an apt and got rid of bikes because we had nowhere to keep them. I got this one from a local bike co-op and put some new tires on it. Love It!!!!! It is so different from my 82 Schwinn 10 speed. This is going to be my flatland grocery getter and the other will be for hills and going a little bit faster.
I enjoyed reading so many posts in this thread and have been learning a lot. Thanks.

Looks like you found a nice one. Add a rear rack and basket for utility. Be sure to have the bearings serviced - front hub, bottom bracket, and headset. Add a few drops of motor oil to the rear hub as well from time to time. Be aware that there is a right and left side to the front wheel. The adjustable side of the hub (the side with a lock nut) must be on your left.

Daniellepurple 04-18-16 07:53 PM

Thank you dweenk.
I did put a rear rack and Wald folding side basket on it yesterday. Repacked the front wheel bearings with grease and oiled the hub too. Didn't know about the front wheel left to right thing. Got lucky on that one. I've never taken apart the bottom bracket or headset before. I'll do that while its raining in a couple days.

driftlesscycles 04-18-16 08:19 PM

Raleigh Sprite with S5
 
1 Attachment(s)
Still needs a few finishing touches (grips) and maybe removal of the ultra sticky reflective tape, but for a barn find that started out covered in dust, dirt and grease it doesn't look too bad. B72 even recovered nicely.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516668

gna 04-18-16 08:33 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 18700550)
Looks like you found a nice one. Add a rear rack and basket for utility. Be sure to have the bearings serviced - front hub, bottom bracket, and headset. Add a few drops of motor oil to the rear hub as well from time to time. Be aware that there is a right and left side to the front wheel. The adjustable side of the hub (the side with a lock nut) must be on your left.

Most don't have a lock nut. Adjustable cone should go on the left.

artclone 04-18-16 08:39 PM


Originally Posted by driftlesscycles (Post 18700900)
Still needs a few finishing touches (grips) and maybe removal of the ultra sticky reflective tape, but for a barn find that started out covered in dust, dirt and grease it doesn't look too bad. B72 even recovered nicely.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516668

Cute! That grip angle can't be good for you though.
What's S5? I thought five speed had two shifters?

driftlesscycles 04-18-16 08:52 PM

You are correct. On the top tube there is a stick shifter with levers for both sides of the hub

clubman 04-18-16 09:08 PM

Dialogue riding this bike.

CAPTAIN: "Shift into third...NOW"

STOKER: " Apply brakes...NOW!"

CAPTAIN: "Let's divorce, you keep the bike"

STOKER: "Not if it was the last one on earth"

BigChief 04-19-16 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by driftlesscycles (Post 18700900)
Still needs a few finishing touches (grips) and maybe removal of the ultra sticky reflective tape, but for a barn find that started out covered in dust, dirt and grease it doesn't look too bad. B72 even recovered nicely.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516668

Congrats on a super find. These are, by far my favorite of any of the Sports bikes. I love the S5 hub. I couldn't get along with the original top tube stick shifters. I changed to a standard top routed trigger and pulley system for the right side and a SunTour handlebar mounted friction shifter for the bell crank on the left. A huge improvement IMHO.
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516724

gster 04-19-16 04:59 AM


Originally Posted by clubman (Post 18701016)
Dialogue riding this bike.

CAPTAIN: "Shift into third...NOW"

STOKER: " Apply brakes...NOW!"

CAPTAIN: "Let's divorce, you keep the bike"

STOKER: "Not if it was the last one on earth"

This bizzare contraption is for sale on kijiji Toronto for $150.00....

streets 04-19-16 06:22 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18701339)
This bizzare contraption is for sale on kijiji Toronto for $150.00....

That thing is astoundingly cool.

clasher 04-19-16 06:38 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18701339)
This bizzare contraption is for sale on kijiji Toronto for $150.00....

Bwahahaha. The kitchener co-op had an orange one that was similar for 80$. I took it for a ride around the parking lot and I thought it was going to fold back up and eat me. The one I rode only had a coaster brake. Amazingly enough someone bought it...

gster 04-19-16 06:47 AM


Originally Posted by clasher (Post 18701500)
Bwahahaha. The kitchener co-op had an orange one that was similar for 80$. I took it for a ride around the parking lot and I thought it was going to fold back up and eat me. The one I rode only had a coaster brake. Amazingly enough someone bought it...

The 3 speed trigger is on the rear seat post!

gster 04-19-16 07:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
There was a nice Norman for sale as well in Toronto..
http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516741http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516742http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516743http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=516744

clasher 04-19-16 07:07 AM


Originally Posted by gster (Post 18701517)
The 3 speed trigger is on the rear seat post!

Heh, didn't notice that... wonder if they didn't have a long enough cable to go anywhere else. S-A is making new shifters for seatposts so I guess people want to do that.

peppep 04-19-16 11:19 AM

I've acquired a new-to-me Raleigh Sports, hub dated 67. I'll be able to get some pictures taken this evening when I pull it out to start cleaning.

This is my first big C&V project. I've read about 30 pages of this massive thread, and some of Sheldon Brown's site, and I know there's lots more info out there; just starting to soak it all in!

If you don't mind, some newb questions:
I've seen a lot of talk about details referring to "older models" and "later models" of Sports. Where would a c.1967 fall?
Are there certain brake and shift cables that are recommended for this bike, or is that pretty generic?
Excuse my ignorance! This is a major learning project for me.

adventurepdx 04-19-16 12:34 PM


Originally Posted by NormanF (Post 18695905)
BD's Windsor Kensington8 has a full chromoly frame, racks and fenders and a Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub. Its priced less than the Raleigh Haskell high tensile frame and is completely traditional as a classic three speed bike should look. C&V purists will appreciate everything is true is a way is that's old, tried and true as old, tried and true should be:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._gray_2100.jpg

I've seen that bike, and it looks nice. But the issue is that it's a Bikes Direct, which is more of a barrier of entry to the uninitiated, since someone has to buy it online and either assemble it yourself or pay a shop to do so. I'd like to see more bikes like this "ready to go" and in bike shops.

adventurepdx 04-19-16 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by noglider (Post 18699199)
That might be a really nice tire, but I wouldn't recommend inflating it beyond 60 psi, probably less, unless you're carrying a lot of weight. If the rider is light, use 40 psi.

Especially if you have the original unhooked steel rims. High pressure would mean the bead would probably pop it off the rim.

BigChief 04-19-16 12:52 PM


Originally Posted by peppep (Post 18702268)
I've acquired a new-to-me Raleigh Sports, hub dated 67. I'll be able to get some pictures taken this evening when I pull it out to start cleaning.

This is my first big C&V project. I've read about 30 pages of this massive thread, and some of Sheldon Brown's site, and I know there's lots more info out there; just starting to soak it all in!

If you don't mind, some newb questions:
I've seen a lot of talk about details referring to "older models" and "later models" of Sports. Where would a c.1967 fall?
Are there certain brake and shift cables that are recommended for this bike, or is that pretty generic?
Excuse my ignorance! This is a major learning project for me.

Congrats on your new project. Old English 3 speeds has been a hobby of mine for many years and I'm still having a blast with it. Newer or older is subjective, but 67 is a good year and still retain some of the features like full pattern chainwheels and graphics that I prefer.
If possible, reuse the original cable casings. Any brake cable with a barrel end should work on your bike because it uses pinch bolts on the calipers. Shifter cables are a bit trickier because they come in different lengths. Modern replacement cables get around this by using pinch bolt adapters that screw on to the indicator chain. Again, reuse the cable casing if possible. If you want to avoid the clunky pinch bolt, you either have to find a complete vintage cable/casing assembly the right length or make one up yourself. Looking forward to seeing your pics.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.