Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ignorance is bliss, kind of (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1242418)

sdimattia 11-17-21 03:37 PM

Ignorance is bliss, kind of

I will be buying a new bike shortly as soon as I get my size sorted out. My LBS is helping me out with that. But in the meanwhile, whilst I wait, I was looking at the parts I plan to change out immediately for personal preference (tires, saddle, wheels) and I realized something.

I started riding (and wrenching) about 3 years ago to commute to school. I'm not in school anymore but I still commute to work and go on joyrides on the weekends. I built my first bike from the frame up 3 years ago (when I really shouldn't have - I had no clue what I was doing and probably wasted a lot of time and money buying things that I hoped would fit). In these last 3 years, I've expanded my skills and knowledge tremendously, built, bought, and sold probably 2 dozen bikes, kept at least 2 "forever" bikes, and have accumulated an ever-growing spare parts bin.

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.

Maelochs 11-17-21 03:40 PM

Simple solution .... only buy bike parts when blind drunk.

genejockey 11-17-21 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by sdimattia (Post 22311116)
I will be buying a new bike shortly as soon as I get my size sorted out. My LBS is helping me out with that. But in the meanwhile, whilst I wait, I was looking at the parts I plan to change out immediately for personal preference (tires, saddle, wheels) and I realized something.

I started riding (and wrenching) about 3 years ago to commute to school. I'm not in school anymore but I still commute to work and go on joyrides on the weekends. I built my first bike from the frame up 3 years ago (when I really shouldn't have - I had no clue what I was doing and probably wasted a lot of time and money buying things that I hoped would fit). In these last 3 years, I've expanded my skills and knowledge tremendously, built, bought, and sold probably 2 dozen bikes, kept at least 2 "forever" bikes, and have accumulated an ever-growing spare parts bin.

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss that time when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.

Then spent 5 days trying to make it fit.

sdimattia 11-17-21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311149)
Then spent 5 days trying to make it fit.

Nah, that's why the parts bin has gotten so large . . .

shelbyfv 11-17-21 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by sdimattia (Post 22311116)

And this is where the ignorance bit comes in. 3 years ago, I didn't really research what the most appropriate tires tires for commuting would be, I simply bought the cheapest (Vittoria Rubino Pro G for $30 a pair). It's a miracle the saddle I bought actually fit my butt and is one I continue to buy and use on any new bikes. If it was cheap and the long list of measurements and numbers in the specs seemed to match, I bought it. Comparatively, now, with my new bike, I spend a stupid amount of time researching the best tires, the cushiest handlebar tape, price-to-preformance groupsets, frame specs, geometries, and other things I never considered with my first build.

I'm very happy that I've learned much more about bicycles and it's become a hobby I greatly enjoy. But at the same time, I miss that time when I knew nothing and spent 5 minutes choosing parts instead of 5 days.

Thanks for your time.

The saddle is a good illustration. You used what you had and it was fine. Folks get (they think) a little "knowledge" and they start obsessing about a mm of crank length, a degree or two of HT angle, whether or not they have a 17t cog in their 11 speed cassette.... Often these are people who don't even ride significant distance. The point is, spend only as much time as you enjoy researching this stuff.

genejockey 11-17-21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 22311164)
The saddle is a good illustration. You used what you had and it was fine. Folks get (they think) a little "knowledge" and they start obsessing about a mm of crank length, a degree or two of HT angle, whether or not they have a 17t cog in their 11 speed cassette.... Often these are people who don't even ride significant distance. The point is, spend only as much time as you enjoy researching this stuff.

My first road bike became a hodge-podge of semi-compatible parts, which I was really proud of until I took a test ride on what became my SECOND road bike, which had all matching bits and just worked SO MUCH BETTER.

So, 25 years later, I stripped the first road bike of its incompatible bits and built the whole groupset around the original brake levers and calipers.

sdimattia 11-17-21 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311236)
My first road bike became a hodge-podge of semi-compatible parts, which I was really proud of until I took a test ride on what became my SECOND road bike, which had all matching bits and just worked SO MUCH BETTER.

So, 25 years later, I stripped the first road bike of its incompatible bits and built the whole groupset around the original brake levers and calipers.

Dang, you've kept your first road bike longer than I've been alive . . . My first bike was a low end hi-ten track frame that I spread the dropouts from 120mm to 135mm to shove an Alfine 8sp IGH in. Did it work? Yes. Was it safe? Probably not.
Onwards to better things it seems. It's nice though, moving parts from one frame to another, a true testament to the progress that you can kind of see happening before you.

genejockey 11-17-21 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sdimattia (Post 22311271)
Dang, you've kept your first road bike longer than I've been alive . . . My first bike was a low end hi-ten track frame that I spread the dropouts from 120mm to 135mm to shove an Alfine 8sp IGH in. Did it work? Yes. Was it safe? Probably not.
Onwards to better things it seems. It's nice though, moving parts from one frame to another, a true testament to the progress that you can kind of see happening before you.

Not only that, I bought it when I was already significantly older than you are now.

delbiker1 11-17-21 05:18 PM

Just today I had a really nice, relaxing ride on my 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, and was thinking about this very thing. I posted about the ride and the bike in the general discussion forum, with the subject about being more casual and relaxed when it comes to bikes and riding. It reinforced the true reason I love riding bikes, the escape of everyday stressors, and the mental/physical outlet, and the feeling of freedom. There is a lot to be said for just jumping on a bike and going where ever, for however long, with no concern of ego building, just the pleasure of riding a bike.

sdimattia 11-17-21 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 22311313)
Just today I had a really nice, relaxing ride on my 2006 Schwinn SS DBX, and was thinking about this very thing. I posted about the ride and the bike in the general discussion forum, with the subject about being more casual and relaxed when it comes to bikes and riding. It reinforced the true reason I love riding bikes, the escape of everyday stressors, and the mental/physical outlet, and the feeling of freedom. There is a lot to be said for just jumping on a bike and going where ever, for however long, with no concern of ego building, just the pleasure of riding a bike.

I saw your original post, nice bike and nice ride!

You are lucky to live somewhere you can easily go out for ride to decompress. I wish I did! Unfortunately, NYC is not the most relaxing place to cycle but on those early morning Sunday rides before the city really starts up, I understand the sentiment. Happy riding!

Maelochs 11-17-21 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311281)
..... I bought it when I was already significantly older than you are now.

If we keep letting information like this slip out, we will get renamed "Geriatric World" and "Fifty Plus" will become "Youth Activities Page."

Bike Forums ..... Sponsored by AARP ....

genejockey 11-17-21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22311362)
If we keep letting information like this slip out, we will get renamed "Geriatric World" and "Fifty Plus" will become "Youth Activities Page."

I can see the topics - "Anyone Else Put Ensure In Their Bottles?" or "Why Doesn't Trek Have A Senior Discount?" or "Looking For A Flattish Century For 'Ride My Age'"

Riveting 11-17-21 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maelochs (Post 22311121)
Simple solution .... only buy bike parts when blind drunk.

But then when the stuff gets delivered and I don't recall why I bought it, and I'm not even always sure about which bike it was for?

Bald Paul 11-17-21 07:16 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...64f4835a8d.jpg

Reflector Guy 11-18-21 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Riveting (Post 22311419)
But then when the stuff gets delivered and I don't recall why I bought it, and I'm not even always sure about which bike it was for?

I'll most likely become one of those guys who goes out for a bike ride, but I'll forget where I was headed to and I'll just keep riding until eventually it gets dark and I'm three states away.

Or three counties. This will be on my bike, because my family will have already taken away my car keys by then!

kahn 11-21-21 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311375)
I can see the topics - "Anyone Else Put Ensure In Their Bottles?" or "Why Doesn't Trek Have A Senior Discount?" or "Looking For A Flattish Century For 'Ride My Age'"

Ohhhhhhhh, now there is something to strive for - matching my age with distance. I will have to up my game.

livedarklions 11-22-21 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22311375)

" Stool Softener: Before or After the Ride?"

rumrunn6 11-23-21 02:22 PM

my favorite is when one of us buys something then posts about it & asks what everyone thinks of it. instead of doing so before buying it

Troul 11-23-21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22316147)
" Stool Softener: Before or After the Ride?"

Always, Depends... on how hard ya ride.

DMC707 11-24-21 12:02 PM

I just started posting a little bit in P&R. At age 50, i feel like a young whippersnapper in there :foo: :twitchy:

DMC707 11-24-21 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22317930)
my favorite is when one of us buys something then posts about it & asks what everyone thinks of it. instead of doing so before buying it

We need validation and quiet applause from the gallery