Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I lost my rear thru axle. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1252962)

mstateglfr 06-04-22 09:52 PM

I lost my rear thru axle.

My rear wheel had some lateral wobble, so I removed it and trued the wheel. I think I lazily left the thru axle and tri-hex wrench on the hood of a car in the garage.

Thru axle and tri-wrench are gone. Poof. 7 hour garage cleaning 5 days ago confirmed it. The garage gremlins stole em.
Lame.

So now I sit and wait for a new one to be shipped to me from across the pond because one direct from the brand is almost half the cost of a robert axle project axle.
Lame.

Polaris OBark 06-04-22 10:02 PM

Robert Axle Project was going to be my rec.

Sorry for your loss. Been there (slightly different details.)

Chuck M 06-05-22 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22531182)
7 hour garage cleaning 5 days ago confirmed it.

There is your small and insignificant victory. At least you have a clean garage. Sometimes the loss of something is my motivation to clean the garage.

And it could have been worse. I've heard of people leaving wheel sets in parking lots at trailheads.

Kai Winters 06-05-22 06:34 AM

Oops...

mstateglfr 06-05-22 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck M (Post 22531281)
There is your small and insignificant victory. At least you have a clean garage. Sometimes the loss of something is my motivation to clean the garage.

And it could have been worse. I've heard of people leaving wheel sets in parking lots at trailheads.

Yeah, I did get a fully organized garage, and that was a long overdue project. It was already planned, but I figured for sure the components would be found. I mean, they can't balance on the hood for most of an errand drive, right?
oh well.

An entire wheelset left would be excruciating.

Steve B. 06-05-22 11:08 AM

I see many posts on our mt. bike club FB page of folks who lose a F wheel, L shoe, helmet, etc.... at trail head parking lots. Typically the thing removed and forgotten about.

Chuck M 06-05-22 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22531510)
I mean, they can't balance on the hood for most of an errand drive, right?
oh well.

If I knew the answer to that I would found the iPad I left on the roof of my car.

unterhausen 06-05-22 02:08 PM

I lost something that belongs to someone else in my shop. No car in there, so I feel confident it's in there. Where, I don't know. I'm going to have to move some big machines to find it, so the whole process is taking a while.

In the future, it might be worth looking at paragon machine works to see if they have a skewer that would fit.

79pmooney 06-05-22 03:24 PM

Yet another reason to love quick releases. I've lost a few springs but never the nut or skewer. Nor the associated tools.

I've always been a space case and age plus a TBI and genetics aren't helping. The maxim "KISS" applies a little more each day.

Camilo 06-05-22 11:57 PM

In the past year I've lost two things and the only thing I can think of is that I put them on the roof of my car for safe keeping: a box of wrench sockets and a fairly expensive rear light. They're gone, I've replaced them after a latency period of several months assuming they'd show up, and searching diligently.

fishboat 06-06-22 05:53 AM

...receiving something shipped from across the pond(either one) can take a while. I've been waiting a month for something from the UK.

This might be an opportunity to buy another bike to fill in the gap.

pdlamb 06-06-22 07:12 AM

I've been thinking about getting a big carpet scrap to put under the bike to try to keep things from bouncing off. (There ought to be an Olympic event for distance bounced by dropped tools or bike parts!) Then I remember the time I lost nine (9) ball bearings, one at a time, repacking a wheel over a carpeted floor. (She who must be obeyed was not amused.)

mstateglfr 06-17-22 02:25 PM

Just got the replacement. What an absurd reason to not ride of of my bikes for 3 weeks.

katsup 06-17-22 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22545293)
Just got the replacement. What an absurd reason to not ride of of my bikes for 3 weeks.

I can see lost / missing thru axles as being rather common reason in the years to come.

Mmassey338 07-09-22 06:05 PM

Thanks. I just ordered a replacement set.