Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kids NBD! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1248658)

sdmc530 03-20-22 09:10 PM

Kids NBD!

Been working a build for my 11 year old and got it done and test rode tonight! He was pretty happy. He chose everything on it. Most of the parts I had on hand so it wasn't too bad. I need to a little adjusting but its pretty nice. Going to be a great summer or riding for sure! Just had to show it off!!!!!

Specialized frame/forks
Sora 9 speed group
stock spec wheels from a while back
152mm Suntour cranks were an awesome find.

https://i.imgur.com/tT6IzB8l.jpg

Kedosto 03-20-22 09:47 PM

Memory building, disguised as a bike build. Excellent stuff! I’m digging the colors. Way to go, Dad!

noimagination 03-21-22 05:57 AM

Nice bike! I hope you and your son get to spend many miles riding together.

indyfabz 03-21-22 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kedosto (Post 22445503)
I’m digging the colors.

Same here!

sdmc530 03-21-22 07:07 AM

I was a bit hesitant at the color scheme but I think its pretty awesome myself.

delbiker1 03-21-22 04:33 PM

That's awesome. I sure would have liked to have had a bike like that at that age.

indyfabz 03-21-22 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by delbiker1 (Post 22446315)
That's awesome. I sure would have liked to have had a bike like that at that age.

IKR. Much nicer that my Free Spirit 3 speed from Sears.

In ‘95, when I was doing a tour built around the last 10 days of the Giro, one sage finish was at the Bianchi factory. There was an outlet store on the premises. Several kids’ road bikes for $$$. I thought He’s going to outgrow one of those in a year or two.

skidder 03-21-22 07:05 PM

Nice! Did he do any of the wrenching on it? Even something simple like get him to put the tubes/tires on an off (similar to fixing a flat)? Time invested in building it usually pays off in more appreciation for the end product. Only addition I'd suggest is something to carry stuff with. A saddlebag for flat fix-it stuff would be the first thought, but I'd suggest a light rack on back (even a seatpost rack) with a bag to hold stuff for longer rides (jacket, gloves maybe some munchies, sunscreen, extra water bottle, cellphone, etc).

sdmc530 03-21-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by skidder (Post 22446468)
Nice! Did he do any of the wrenching on it? Even something simple like get him to put the tubes/tires on an off (similar to fixing a flat)? Time invested in building it usually pays off in more appreciation for the end product. Only addition I'd suggest is something to carry stuff with. A saddlebag for flat fix-it stuff would be the first thought, but I'd suggest a light rack on back (even a seatpost rack) with a bag to hold stuff for longer rides (jacket, gloves maybe some munchies, sunscreen, extra water bottle, cellphone, etc).

Every nut, part, bolt, part. He did all the assembly, I assisted with torqueing properly and he learned every inch of the bike. How every part works, why it works in relation with the other. Example when moving the shifter the cable pulls and adjusts the RD. He really likes understanding the headset area. He was hands on the whole way. Was really fun for me this way getting him dirty too.

I have a rear bag for him just haven't put it on the bike yet. He will have a patch kit, extra tube and all that. Pretty much a mirror of what I carry. I will carry his extra jacket in my pocket. Kind of easing into all the other stuff.

livedarklions 03-22-22 05:30 AM

Love it! What's the story on "Capt. Fox"?

sdmc530 03-22-22 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 22446737)
Love it! What's the story on "Capt. Fox"?

Capt fox is a clone war trooper character. Also known as CC-1010 I guess. He is a big fan of Star wars so he wanted to put that on there for him. The logos are the deathwatch logo and on the head tube there is a circle logo. I don't really know much about the shows but yeah, he is a typical kid loving the star wars stuff.

livedarklions 03-22-22 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by sdmc530 (Post 22447440)
Capt fox is a clone war trooper character. Also known as CC-1010 I guess. He is a big fan of Star wars so he wanted to put that on there for him. The logos are the deathwatch logo and on the head tube there is a circle logo. I don't really know much about the shows but yeah, he is a typical kid loving the star wars stuff.

Perfect.