Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   This A Scam? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220753)

AJ1515 01-03-21 12:09 PM

This A Scam?

https://www.johnnysportstore.com/

Anyone know if this is b***s***? They appear to be one of the only bike shops on the planet with CAAD stock...

Can't find much of anything about the seller online, so I am thinking scam, but I am surprised by the amount of customer service and contact information on the site. Everything is also Paypal protected...

datlas 01-03-21 12:18 PM

Indonesia? Hmmm...

Robius 01-03-21 02:14 PM

%100 scam. Scam bike shops usually has Indonesian addresses for some odd reason.

WhyFi 01-03-21 02:25 PM

This may come as a shock, but they're not listed as a dealer by Cannondale. Yeah, I know - I was surprised, too.

datlas 01-03-21 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21860595)
This may come as a shock, but they're not listed as a dealer by Cannondale. Yeah, I know - I was surprised, too.

The prices also seem to be realistic. That said, I would still avoid.

znomit 01-03-21 06:55 PM

It has "johnny" in it so probably dodgy.

_ForceD_ 01-03-21 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21860595)

Well...neither is a very reputable LBS near me. It’s been open for more than 30 years.

Dan

WhyFi 01-03-21 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 21860962)
Well...neither is a very reputable LBS near me. It’s been open for more than 30 years.

Dan

I don't suppose you're near the Istana Kuta Galeria in Bali?

_ForceD_ 01-03-21 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21861005)
I don't suppose you're near the Istana Kuta Galeria in Bali?

I’m just pointing out that the Cannondale app doesn’t work perfectly. It may not list scammer “shops” but it doesn’t list all reputable shops either.

Dan

Reflector Guy 01-04-21 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Robius (Post 21860584)
%100 scam. Scam bike shops usually has Indonesian addresses for some odd reason.

The cycling world's equivalent to those Nigerian Princes that keep wanting me to get a portion of their fortunes...

WhyFi 01-04-21 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by _ForceD_ (Post 21861266)
I’m just pointing out that the Cannondale app doesn’t work perfectly. It may not list scammer “shops” but it doesn’t list all reputable shops either.

Dan

And I'm just pointing out that's it's an additional big red flag in a sea of red flags when it comes to this "retailer."

mstateglfr 01-04-21 08:46 AM

That feels like the scammiest scam that has ever scammed.
Even if it isnt a scam, its sketch.

If a new bike isnt available in the continental US, or even Canada- it just wasnt meant to be. At that point, look for any of the half dozen offerings by other companies that will have eerily similar fit and feel.

WhyFi 01-04-21 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21861575)
If a new bike isnt available in the continental US, or even Canada- it just wasnt meant to be. At that point, look for any of the half dozen offerings by other companies that will have eerily similar fit and feel.

But, but, but -

Specfically All Products Sports Are Shipped From USA
Doesn't that allay your concerns? It's super comforting to me. *shrug*

veganbikes 01-04-21 11:15 AM

Here is a good test that will give you the answer every time: Does this feel like a scam? If your own personal answer is yes move on. If you are having to ask people you know at that point it is a bad. If it was a legitimate shop there would be no cause for alarm. Whenever you find yourself asking that question, just move on. Right now people are out of bikes, it has been that way for a while, it will continue for a while and if you are desperate for a bike you might consider talking with your local bike builder and have them whip you up a custom frame. A lot of them are still plugging away in their shops because they are single people and can keep delivering bikes to you. Granted their supply chains are probably interrupted and changed just like everything else but you have a better chance.

AJ1515 01-04-21 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21861833)
Here is a good test that will give you the answer every time: Does this feel like a scam? If your own personal answer is yes move on. If you are having to ask people you know at that point it is a bad. If it was a legitimate shop there would be no cause for alarm. Whenever you find yourself asking that question, just move on. Right now people are out of bikes, it has been that way for a while, it will continue for a while and if you are desperate for a bike you might consider talking with your local bike builder and have them whip you up a custom frame. A lot of them are still plugging away in their shops because they are single people and can keep delivering bikes to you. Granted their supply chains are probably interrupted and changed just like everything else but you have a better chance.

I appreciate all the replies. Please know that I am not even in the market for a new bike--just getting more and more into the CAAD series and interested in whether or not any CAAD12s are still around. My local Cannondale dealer says "Helllll no. Those got bought up during the pandemic."

You have all confirmed my initial impression: Scam. Scam. Scammy, Scam.

AJ

veganbikes 01-04-21 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by AJ1515 (Post 21862369)
I appreciate all the replies. Please know that I am not even in the market for a new bike--just getting more and more into the CAAD series and interested in whether or not any CAAD12s are still around. My local Cannondale dealer says "Helllll no. Those got bought up during the pandemic."

You have all confirmed my initial impression: Scam. Scam. Scammy, Scam.

AJ

I will call B.S. on that, when are people on this forum not in the market for another bike :p

If it smells like dookie it probably is.

AJ1515 01-05-21 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21862560)
I will call B.S. on that, when are people on this forum not in the market for another bike :p

If it smells like dookie it probably is.

Actually, we're in the midst of a refinance, some for the first time in a while, I can say with no BS that there is no money for bike stuff! We'll see if that future saved money goes toward a race bike...

MattTheHat 01-05-21 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860613)
The prices also seem to be realistic. That said, I would still avoid.

I only looked at one price...S-Works Roubaix...about half price. Obviously a scam.

Andy Somnifac 01-05-21 02:59 PM

My rule of thumb:

If I see something that makes me think "Is this a scam?" then I treat it as a scam.

ClydeClydeson 01-05-21 03:15 PM

I can hardly wait for my order of 23 Seadoos to arrive!

Chi_Z 01-05-21 11:49 PM

winter sucks in new york, looking at the google map of bali makes me want to move there just for the weather

Jasper Storm 01-06-21 07:34 PM

I'd say it's legit.
Regards,
Guy who believes the ingredients list of "male enhancement" herbal supplements manufactued in China and only available from independent mini-marts with bars over their windows.