Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

burger0014 10-28-15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL (Post 18277187)
i hope you weigh 65 kg.

73 KG. Why? Goal weight is 70 KG, this time 3 years ago I was 101kg.. so there's that.

hubcyclist 10-28-15 03:42 PM

got a couple of new saddles today from nashbar, the selle italia q-bik and selle italia flow carbonio se. I'm favoring the q-bik so far (the cheapest) but am awaiting a couple of others tomorrow. After trying and being disappointed with fizik antares and arione, it's funny to see that cheaper ones are more comfortable for me.

TheKillerPenguin 10-28-15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18277075)
Cold rain. Minor head cold (caught whatever everyone else in town has had). 2.5-3hrs light endurance, trainer.

...flat tire... 1:40 in.

I changed the damn thing but I think I'm content with calling it a day. Stupid sport.

edit: pedaling more. Dammit...

Ygduf 10-28-15 03:48 PM

16 minutes today at 440w. more all-time power curve. 83kg this morning, so take it with as many grains of salt as I put on all my food.

I was ~10s off my PR on the climb when a dump truck took a downhill left turn too tight and pinched me off the road. lost 27 seconds getting untangled from the bike and out of the ditch. Am completely unhurt aside from minor allergic irritation on my forearm where I landed in a pile of pine needles.

TMonk 10-28-15 04:14 PM

It's actually your fault for going so freakin' fast!

Ygduf 10-28-15 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 18277637)
It's actually your fault for going so freakin' fast!

I was so mad at the interruption. Sub-16 on this climb has been a two-year goal. I was 16:09 a couple months ago and there is a hillclimb coming up where I will get to start in the first group of 10-12 guys. I need to hang with the fastest of them for as long as possible to get the extra 20 seconds. Today I thought I could get 16:15, which would have been a confidence builder given the current KG situation. Oh wells.

TMonk 10-28-15 05:00 PM

next time!

you've been putting up some very impressive numbers lately.

revchuck 10-28-15 05:26 PM

Fudgy - Glad the allergic reaction was all you got!

shovelhd 10-28-15 05:38 PM

Close call. Training is not worth dying for. Well, maybe it is for you :)

gsteinb 10-28-15 06:48 PM

Sounds like Fudgy is eating himself to death anyway.

Hermes 10-28-15 08:33 PM

For the gym / weight training / plyo guys, below is a video about specific drill training for college football.

I miss football. Not so much the game itself but the workouts. Working out as a team with coaches perfecting different techniques was a blast. At least I think so. Even if you do not watch the video, watch the very end, it says a lot about their attitude and work ethic. There are a few interesting exercises that may apply to cycling and note that they have some type of electronics on the bars that must be measuring velocity or etc. I assume that gsteinb already incorporates chains into his squats.

scheibo 10-28-15 09:32 PM

this morning when i woke up it was dark, wet and cold so i went in to work early and rode at 3pm thinking it would at least be warmer and sunnier. ended up being pretty good weather except for a couple damp spots, so i'm happy with my decision. after taking monday off and yesterday easy i wanted to get in some quality so i did 2h45 structured like a mini 'kitchen sink' workout. first climb was irregular and i did it as a fartlek with various surges and intervals in the 15"-3' range, ended up averaging ~92% of FTP for close to 40 minutes with about as much variance as possible. after descending i did a steady effort at 95% FTP for 25 minutes. random surges before and after the climbs on the way home. overall i'm pretty happy with the power - didn't feel great at all up the first climb so was surprised to see the numbers line up.

something is wrong with my bike though - it felt like i was riding a mechanical bull the whole time. i think the wheels may be out of true? either that, or all the roads turned into washboards over the last week.

scheibo 10-28-15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18276635)
seems like exactly what OP was doing, right?

even if you use the FTP to set interval targets you still do them by feel, as in if you do all 5 or whatever and it feels super easy, you aim higher next time. if you are unable to do 5 (or howevermany) because they feel too hard, you shift downward. FTP is only a starting point and TSS : guy A /= TSS : guy B.

I have relatively poor 0-1min power and a high threshold. Riding next to my friend who is the opposite, he comes away, on the same unstructured ride, with significantly higher TSS because much more of the time is spent in the higher zones.

Comparing TSS and CTL from person to person is an exercise in semantics. Comparing yourself to yourself-3 months is the way to go, imo.

yeah, you're right. i think i want FTP to be more than it is and be like a single number that sums up everything about a rider. :)

gsteinb 10-29-15 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 18278195)
I assume that gsteinb already incorporates chains into his squats.

No chains or double leg squats. I workout at home, and only have a set of dumbbells and a plyo box.

Stas87 10-29-15 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 18278564)
No chains or double leg squats. I workout at home, and only have a set of dumbbells and a plyo box.

What kind of plyobox do you use? Or rather how high? I've been shopping around for one

gsteinb 10-29-15 05:42 AM

24"

but I'd recommend one of the wood boxes that offer three heights

Amazon.com : Rep 3 in 1 Wood Plyometric Box for CrossFit and Conditioning 16/14/12 : Sports & Outdoors

globecanvas 10-29-15 05:44 AM

I just bought this box (same one gsteinb linked to). It killed me to purchase a wooden box, but it went together great and it's solid. I've been using the crap out of it. I got the 16/20/24 size which doubles nicely as an end table.

gsteinb 10-29-15 05:47 AM

wuss

Stas87 10-29-15 06:54 AM

$119 for a 24" wooden box seems high to me. I think I'll keep shopping around for now.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a small/compact rack for dumbells? With all the bike in my apt, floor space is at a premium.

globecanvas 10-29-15 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Stas87 (Post 18278760)
$119 for a 24" wooden box seems high to me.

I totally agree. I was a carpenter for years and it killed me to buy a wooden box. But it is very well constructed. Probably $40 worth of materials. It would take me half a day to build a puzzle-box style box with internal bracing, including getting material and cleaning up, so really it seems like an OK deal.

TheKillerPenguin 10-29-15 07:35 AM

Was going to play bike games but head cold is still sticking around. Legs feel pretty much fine but taking a day off.

Thus are the fruits of working way too many hours and maintaining usual training volume. Lesson learned.

gsteinb 10-29-15 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
recovery day / recovery pants

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=485164

Hermes 10-29-15 10:03 AM

I started legs on Tuesday and got DOMSed. Mostly due to jumping. My stomach and hip flexors took the brunt of the hit. And I did not do that much.

This year my gym finally got plyo safe boxes that are padded boxes with a larger landing area. Typically, these are uber expensive but Amazon has these for $89.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...1QGbkc1ROL.jpg

Standard pricing for this type of setup is more like $800 so I would examine the above carefully if one chooses to buy.

And using the plyo safe boxes, I have missed going for more height. All that happened was my shin hits the padded edge and got a slight abrasion and no big deal. If it would have been a wooden box, maybe a trip to the ER for stitches.

The other way to press for more height and reps safely is to wear shin guards. YMMV

globecanvas 10-29-15 12:47 PM

3 hours, including 90 minutes of tempo and above, in freakishly warm, wet weather, including getting caught in a 10-minute sideways rain squall.

Felt absolutely great. Gained about 3000 feet of elevation in the first 1:45, gave it all back in the last 1:15. but power was consistent for both parts of the ride.

misterwaterfall 10-29-15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hermes (Post 18278195)
For the gym / weight training / plyo guys, below is a video about specific drill training for college football.

I miss football. Not so much the game itself but the workouts. Working out as a team with coaches perfecting different techniques was a blast. At least I think so. Even if you do not watch the video, watch the very end, it says a lot about their attitude and work ethic. There are a few interesting exercises that may apply to cycling and note that they have some type of electronics on the bars that must be measuring velocity or etc. I assume that gsteinb already incorporates chains into his squats.

[/video]

Apparently they don't like to squat to depth. Maybe that is why they suck so bad this season

Ygduf 10-29-15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by gsteinb (Post 18277974)
Sounds like Fudgy is eating himself to death anyway.

while I am unsettled with my denominator, if someone had offered me "climb at the same rate but have 40 extra watts (relative to last time) to use everywhere else" I'd have taken it.

shovelhd 10-29-15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 18279828)
3 hours, including 90 minutes of tempo and above, in freakishly warm, wet weather, including getting caught in a 10-minute sideways rain squall.

Felt absolutely great. Gained about 3000 feet of elevation in the first 1:45, gave it all back in the last 1:15. but power was consistent for both parts of the ride.

Nice. It was a gorgeous day today in the Northeast. I got out for an hour after work and finished after sunset.

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...psypgnm4c1.jpg

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...psusvzydq9.jpg

hack 10-29-15 08:37 PM

90 minute ride with 60 minutes of tempo on the TT bike.

mattm 10-29-15 09:41 PM

Ran 5.2 miles, lord help me.

gsteinb 10-30-15 06:42 AM

90 minutes at 91%