Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

abshipp 05-06-20 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459193)
This made me think about it a little more - if I could always find 4 hours to ride, I don't think that I'd have a problem. Likewise, if I only have an hour, I don't have many options and it's more about maintenance than experience. I guess that I should just concentrate on that middle ground - 30-50 mile routes - and have a few in each general direction. That'll cut down on the legwork.

Ugh. I cannot drive to a ride. Not unless it's an organized ride of some kind that kicks off more than 15 miles or so from home.

I'm slowly building up a library of rides like that. Kind of a pain though without a GPS for those longer rides, I don't always have a cuesheet available, and I don't have a printer at home.

I always underestimate how long it actually takes to drive to the start of the ride. Like, you know how long it takes to drive out there, but once you add in the time to gather things together, double check that you have everything, load everything up, and then reverse that once you get home it adds a significant amount of time.

Similar to one thing that always annoyed me about flying XC in small airplanes. I don't think I've ever gotten from arriving at a hangar into the air in less than 30-45 minutes, there's just so many little things to do. Even once you arrive, parking and shutting things down takes a decent amount of time.

WhyFi 05-06-20 02:27 PM

Hmmmmm - do I want to install the garage gutters today? :foo:

WhyFi 05-06-20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21459358)
I always underestimate how long it actually takes to drive to the start of the ride. Like, you know how long it takes to drive out there, but once you add in the time to gather things together, double check that you have everything, load everything up, and then reverse that once you get home it adds a significant amount of time.

For me, there's also dealing with the anxiety of checking and rechecking that I have everything I'll need. When you're riding from your front door, it's pretty obvious when you've done something dumb like leave your glasses or shoes behind, not so with a remote start.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459196)
I really like the looks of the Aivee (sp?) hubs that they carry, but I think they only do those in disc, so datlas' friend need not apply.

Well sure, but there's also i9/ WI/ CK. And I think others.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 02:59 PM

In other news, I came across a local Austin steel framebuilder called Chumba, with a steel all-road that looks to tick the main boxes. My major concern is they don't detail their steel choice. Which can't mean it's a favored variety.

WhyFi 05-06-20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21459464)
Well sure, but there's also i9/ WI/ CK. And I think others.

Sure, but I'm done thinking about the needs of other people and I've moved on to thinking about my own wants. :p

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459595)
Sure, but I'm done thinking about the needs of other people and I've moved on to thinking about my own wants. :p

Bro, do you even 41?

WhyFi 05-06-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21459468)
In other news, I came across a local Austin steel framebuilder called Chumba, with a steel all-road that looks to tick the main boxes.

When you get knocked down, do you get up again? Are they ever gonna keep you down?

Apologies, but that song would be running through my head every time I swung a leg over that bike.

kissTheApex 05-06-20 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21459324)
Wheels. = China. Ebay. Kingbike888. Can't be beat. Good service. Warranty. Inexpensive. Carbon goodness

Isn’t that the same seller/manufacturer of the variety that sells Superteam wheels on Amazon?

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459604)
When you get knocked down, do you get up again? Are they ever gonna keep you down?

Apologies, but that song would be running through my head every time I swung a leg over that bike.

I'm aware of the band, and the title of a song. A friend of mine was obsessed in high school, but I hated them and managed to keep it from earworming.

Though I suppose if people kept making jokes I'd get sick of it. Or tell them to piss off. Hrm.

datlas 05-06-20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21459333)
Same. I'm considering riding from se Ohio to RAGBRAI in 2021

Last I heard, RAGBRAI is dead. Sad!

Velo Vol 05-06-20 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21459324)
Wheels. = China. Ebay. Kingbike888.

Is there a way to go to an eBay vendor's page? I tried general search and it's not working.

datlas 05-06-20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21459670)
Is there a way to go to an eBay vendor's page? I tried general search and it's not working.

Use search and there is an option to search for user. At least there is in the app.

phrantic09 05-06-20 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21459193)
This made me think about it a little more - if I could always find 4 hours to ride, I don't think that I'd have a problem. Likewise, if I only have an hour, I don't have many options and it's more about maintenance than experience. I guess that I should just concentrate on that middle ground - 30-50 mile routes - and have a few in each general direction. That'll cut down on the legwork.

Ugh. I cannot drive to a ride. Not unless it's an organized ride of some kind that kicks off more than 15 miles or so from home.

I’m hoping to ride up Whiteface some time this summer (requires a 2 hour drive). There’s another more local route that’s about 25 miles away that’s 5k of climbing over 40 miles that I’d want to drive to as well

LesterOfPuppets 05-06-20 05:03 PM

In other news, I came across a local Austin steel framebuilder called Chumba, with a steel all-road that looks to tick the main boxes. My major concern is they don't detail their steel choice. Which can't mean it's a favored variety.

A friend of mine has a hardtail MTB from chumba. Very nice frame. I was put off by the lack of tubing sticker, but he didn't seem to care. Sad.

datlas 05-06-20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21459688)
I’m hoping to ride up Whiteface some time this summer (requires a 2 hour drive). There’s another more local route that’s about 25 miles away that’s 5k of climbing over 40 miles that I’d want to drive to as well

We did Whiteface 2 years ago. The ride to/from Lake Placid is quite scenic. They DO expect you to pay entry fee at the gate even when you are on your bike, so if you want to save some money make it an early start. We just paid.

It’s 8% for 8 miles. No rest. Just right.

Bah Humbug 05-06-20 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21459704)
A friend of mine has a hardtail MTB from chumba. Very nice frame. I was put off by the lack of tubing sticker, but he didn't seem to care. Sad.

Yeah as I'm rolling it around in my head, I don't think it'd quite scratch the itch. The search continues. Sad indeed.

Though hey, at least it's not like I actually need a bike.

datlas 05-06-20 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21459654)
Last I heard, RAGBRAI is dead. Sad!

Nevermind. Google says it’s on for next year.

Velo Vol 05-06-20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21459683)
Use search and there is an option to search for user. At least there is in the app.

OK, I see it on the advanced search page.

rjones28 05-06-20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21459332)
So I managed to contaminate my disk brakes. I have already wiped them clean with brake clean and a clean cloth. Hasn't helped much. The rear brake is almost completely useless. Front makes all kinds of racket.
I am planning on taking the pads out and cleaning them in acetone. Then sanding them to break the glaze. And recleaning the rotors and rebedding them.
Anything else I should or shouldn't do?

Fire

Velo Vol 05-06-20 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21459333)
Same. I'm considering riding from se Ohio to RAGBRAI in 2021

That's pretty ambitious given that you aren't even riding now.

rjones28 05-06-20 05:57 PM

Why does it mean that it's not a favored variety?

rjones28 05-06-20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21459704)

Stickers are over rated.

Velo Vol 05-06-20 06:08 PM

Rank your favourite steels.

Mine:

1) Stainless
2) ???

LesterOfPuppets 05-06-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21459853)
Rank your favourite steels.

Mine:

1) Stainless
2) ???

Steels for what?

If tubing for bicycles, it's all about the butts, and sometimes shaping and rifling.

MTB: (I've ridden mostly Tange, so...)

Tange Superlight
Ritchey Logic
Tange Prestige
True Temper OX
Tange MTB

I really need to get 853 and Columbus MTBs one of these days...