Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

BillyD 05-17-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21479941)
Exactly. I grew up in Watertown about 30 miles from the Canadian border. We camped a lot in other states when I was a kid and people always commented that I didn’t have the NY accent.

Watertown? *Brrrrr*. I understand that’s one of the coldest places in the state.

BillyD 05-17-20 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21479989)

But for example, for much of my family, the world doesn't extend past New England - they can't understand, and are slightly hurt by, the fact that it's not worth it for me to blow two days of vacation traveling each way to that island in Maine where they want to vacation. The fact that I could spend (in a normal version of the world...) that travel time getting to Hong Kong or Europe is water off a duck's back to them; those are places to read about but you live in CT or MA or NH, and vacation in ME because that's what you do and that's the entire world. The fact that it also takes ten laps of the island to get a half-decent run workout in also doesn't register with them.

So you’re saying this island is hardly bigger than some stadiums?

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21480605)
So you’re saying this island is hardly bigger than some stadiums?

It might not even be a square mile; a lap of the outer path is ~.8 miles. That doesn't follow the whole coast though, and there are at least two peninsulas kicking off of it. It has, I think, 35 cottages. The only vehicles are one truck and a couple of Gators. It got internet about 15 years ago, and even that is a narrow-band radio relay from the mainland. It caused a big controversy when it became available.

It's larger than the Jerryworld building, but probably smaller than the Jerryworld parking area.

rjones28 05-17-20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480352)
A question for the runners: at what pace does "running" become walking? Wondering because an old high school acquaintance logs "runs" just about every day on Strava. I finally saw him "running" when I was out on a bike ride and it struck me as an old guy shuffle-step more than anything. I think that he's typically in the 10:30-12 minute mile pace.

Running is a state of being.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480637)
Running is a state of being.

This man gets it.

rjones28 05-17-20 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480422)
That was literally the reason we jumped on the house. Still a few weeks until we actually move, likely, since we have this rental through August and it's not like we have other stuff to schedule. And there are things that have to be done like getting the water heater replaced, getting a fridge in, carpets cleaned, etc. We're finally going to get that extra fridge, too, in paranoia about another round of foot shortages come fall.

Oh and I'm going to go full trainer geek and put the old S1 in tri config on an MP1. No more bike swapping. I can get it through the shop with my team discount, and if I'm going to be on it for like eight hours a week...

Sounds scary.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480647)
Sounds scary.

Just go down a shoe size and you'll be fine.

BillyD 05-17-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480318)
People in NYC walk far, far more than the average 'Merican - when in NYC, I never had an out of town visitor that didn't comment on walking fatigue that wasn't even a blip on my radar. But feel free to compare the average NYC dweller with the average Knoxville resident - I'm betting that the eyeball test wouldn't be kind.

That said, walking three miles to a specific destination in NYC is... pretty rare. You already have a metro card in your pocket - you walk a half mile to a station, you hop on the subway, hop off at a station near your destination and walk the remainder. The other difference is that walking is more often done as a matter of course or necessity throughout the day; recreational walking is more of a thing when you're living the I-only-walk-the-50-steps-to-and-from-my-car lifestyle.

When I was in high school my first job ever was as a Western Union messenger, in midtown Manhattan. 95% of the telegram destinations were within walking distance. Man, I walked my ass off over the 3 years I held that job, who knows what the total was.

WhyFi 05-17-20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21480679)
When I was in high school my first job ever was as a Western Union messenger, in midtown Manhattan. 95% of the telegram destinations were within walking distance. Man, I walked my ass off over the 3 years I held that job, who knows what the total was.

I bet. Even if you're not walking for your job, though, NYers walk a lot. The company that my wife works for would regularly hand out pedometers and do employee step competitions. The NYC office often kicked ass without doing anything special.

Trsnrtr 05-17-20 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21479988)
I don't have trouble with saddles either.

Nor, do I.

Trsnrtr 05-17-20 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480418)
I've been married long enough that my wife doesn't even go for the "let's conserve some water" excuse anymore.

My water + sewer bill is $13.80/month. I don't worry about conserving water very much, either.

datlas 05-17-20 03:32 PM

I am trying to decide when to put the Reynolds wheels on the Habanero. It’s been awfully windy lately so prolly too soon. Maybe early June?

bampilot06 05-17-20 04:22 PM

I worked at busch gardens in williamsburg for about 10 years when I was in high school and college. I would work 16 hour days and walk around the park all day long. I wish I had a pedometer back then, I would love to know how many steps I walked a day. I was into body building back then. So around October I would start to bulk up, and around march I would start cutting. My only source of cardio was work, I would go from a size 36 in march to a size 30 by september. Pants size that is.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480358)
So here's the famous shower:

That doesn't even really do it justice.

Nice. My shower head is lame. Need the Commando 450

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480474)
I don't think it needs to be part of the track and field world championships.

Sporting goodness. The judges have to watch closely and issue warnings

Velo Vol 05-17-20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21480679)
Man, I walked my ass off over the 3 years I held that job, who knows what the total was.

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21480828)
I worked at busch gardens in williamsburg for about 10 years when I was in high school and college. I would work 16 hour days and walk around the park all day long.

No Strava's for you!

ericy 05-17-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21480358)
So here's the famous shower:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ad505c35be.jpg

That doesn't even really do it justice.

Nice. That looks kind of like the shower in the house we sold a year ago. Our current shower won't win any awards - our plan is to completely redo the current bath that looks like it was taken from 1985 (well, that's when the house was built). But lots of things have gotten in the way of all of this, so we haven't even gotten a plan drawn up yet.

Heathpack 05-17-20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21480735)
Nor, do I.

I am also not terribly saddle fussy. I have my preferences, but am ok with a pretty wide range.

TT Bike aside.

Heathpack 05-17-20 05:42 PM

Who’s having what for dinner?

We’re having Chile rubbed top sirloin steak, on the grill. Yellow squash and onion kebabs, also grilled. And leftover pinto beans from yesterday’s enchiladas verde meal.

seedsbelize I make this Mexican pickled cabbage to go with enchiladas, and I’m wondering if it’s really something Mexicans make/eat? Shredded cabbage, carrot, a little onion in a dressing of mostly vinegar with a little oil, sugar, salt, oregano, Chile pequin and a bay leaf.

Just made a sour mix of pineapple, lemon, and lime juices and sugar. Because a pineapple margarita will hit the spot with that steak, I think.

WhyFi made homemade Orgeat on Friday and it seemed a shame to waste the ground almonds that I made the syrup from. So. Found the last of the peaches I froze last year after I went peach picking. To make a peach and almond galette. I’ll have to kind of wing it, since I don’t have a recipe.

Heathpack 05-17-20 05:44 PM

This is my COVID cooking BTW. I have one thing left over from something I make. Which causes me to buy something to use up the
leftover thing. Then the new something becomes the leftover thing for which I must buy something new to use up. And so it goes, on into the night.

rjones28 05-17-20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21480954)

We’re having Chile rubbed top sirloin steak, on the grill. Yellow squash and onion kebabs, also grilled. And leftover pinto beans from yesterday’s enchiladas verde meal.

seedsbelize I make this Mexican pickled cabbage to go with enchiladas, and I’m wondering if it’s really something Mexicans make/eat? Shredded cabbage, carrot, a little onion in a dressing of mostly vinegar with a little oil, sugar, salt, oregano, Chile pequin and a bay leaf.

Just made a sour mix of pineapple, lemon, and lime juices and sugar. Because a pineapple margarita will hit the spot with that steak, I think.

WhyFi made homemade Orgeat on Friday and it seemed a shame to waste the ground almonds that I made the syrup from. So. Found the last of the peaches I froze last year after I went peach picking. To make a peach and almond galette. I’ll have to kind of wing it, since I don’t have a recipe.

Charcuterie board featuring items from the farmers' market and Finger Lakes wine.

WhyFi 05-17-20 06:04 PM

Meat and potatoes day - chicken, gravy and garlic mashed, to be specific. Also broccoli (the only veggie that both kids will reliably eat) and some biscuits (Annie's, not scratch). This was my first time really cooking since installing the knife block the other day - so fun to have knives at my fingertips rather than stuffed in a drawer.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Heathpack (Post 21480954)

Salad.

Bah Humbug 05-17-20 06:10 PM

Flank steak stir-fry with rice noodles and green beans.

Velo Vol 05-17-20 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21480982)
This was my first time really cooking since installing the knife block the other day - so fun to have knives at my fingertips rather than stuffed in a drawer.

The potatoes taste so much better.

Pirkaus 05-17-20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21480637)
Running is a state of stooped.

fify:D