Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2022.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1244501)

LAJ 02-23-22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 22419212)
Evidently a couple of my sheet manufacturers didn't get the memo.

We have some that are marked top bottom without the proper tag placement and those that aren't marked, are correct. Even the blankets. So, in other words, I can't much help you there.

Mojo31 02-23-22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419163)
I mean, I don't recall this, but if true, it sounds like a rational and splendid idea! What's an OSPW gonna save - 1-2w? That's 5-10% of your FTP!!!

For me, though, it'd be a horrible investment, saving just the teeniest percentage of the power from my guads of thunder. :innocent:

When you put it that way, it sounds like a great deal! Prolly should upgrade all the bearings to ceramic across the board as well. Pretty soon, the bike will be powering itself!

Eric F 02-23-22 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419131)
The other day, I needed some nuts and bolts - nothing else. I drove 25 minutes, each way, to a hardware store because they had a of couple different tool lines that I hadn't fondled yet. :lol:

I see no issue with that.

seedsbelize2 02-23-22 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22418851)
Did an hour long (fake) ride with B. Brevet today, on the Chain Chomper course in the Makuri Islands. Since a chunk of that course is on gravel, I picked up the (fake) Cervelo Aspero for the ride. It was certainly easier on the uphill gravel section, but it was most definitely harder on the pavement; I was above 300w a *lot* more than as is usual with Brevet. Granted, a part of that may have been the small group, prolly no more than 10-15 at any given time, which makes it easier to get detached, but still, I averaged 20w or so more than I usually would with that group.

Maybe I'll do that group/course again tomorrow on a road bike. Of the ~24min loop, only ~6min of that is the gravel climb, and I'm guessing that, on the whole, the road bike will be easier for me.

Now I understand the fake bicycles for the fake rides. But are the other riders really on their trainers, or is it all made up by the program?

seedsbelize2 02-23-22 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22418910)
the brushless motors are the shizz. I have a leaf blower with a brushless motor, and it is stronger and more quiet than our other ones. I'm due for a new drill as well.

How do these brushless motors work? Must be a whole different armature in there. Duh. Are there still magnets, or electro-magnets in them?

genejockey 02-23-22 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22419234)
Now I understand the fake bicycles for the fake rides. But are the other riders really on their trainers, or is it all made up by the program?

Apart from the Pace Partners, all the other riders are powered by real people on trainers somewhere in the world. At the times I ride (usually between 6 and 7 PM PST), I end up with other West Coasters, as well as folks from Japan, China, and Australia, who must be riding at lunch.

seedsbelize2 02-23-22 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22418986)
I'm with you. I just got a compact router (not cordless, to be installed in a table). I'm currently lusting after a few cordless things - jigsaw, circular saw, and brad nailer.

A couple of things I learned from my construction superintendent (who is also a hobbyist woodworker)...1) Stick with the same brand and battery type for all your cordless tools. It makes it way easier to always have battery charged and ready, and cuts down on the number of chargers you need to make space for. 2) Buy tools that include a battery (and maybe a charger), rather than the tool only. Buying batteries and chargers separately is significantly more expensive.

I endorse everything said here. And if you decide you need a hammer drill, size and brand are pre-determined.

WhyFi 02-23-22 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22419251)
Apart from the Pace Partners, all the other riders are powered by real people on trainers somewhere in the world. At the times I ride (usually between 6 and 7 PM PST), I end up with other West Coasters, as well as folks from Japan, China, and Australia, who must be riding at lunch.

It seemed like there used to be more obvious bots out there - people screaming by at 14w/kg for far too long - but I can't say that I've seen that since rejoining in the fall. Also not sure what there was to gain, anyway. Were people actually buying accounts with experience and drops that had been run up? :foo:

genejockey 02-23-22 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 22419268)
It seemed like there used to be more obvious bots out there - people screaming by at 14w/kg for far too long - but I can't say that I've seen that since rejoining in the fall. Also not sure what there was to gain, anyway. Were people actually buying accounts with experience and drops that had been run up? :foo:

I read someone's post, somewhere, that they had some kind of malfunction in the PM that resulted in a wildly optimistic number. I don't know.

I was in a 'D' race a month or so ago, which was an "Anti-Sandbagging" race. Someone took off at the start, doing 4 w/kg, which isn't TOO strange at the start. But they just kept on putting out 4 w/kg - but with some variation so it wasn't a bot. The weird thing is, they kept that up the entire length of the 30 minute race, and never got 'coned', even though other riders putting out fewer w/kg did.

bampilot06 02-23-22 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by genejockey (Post 22419277)
I read someone's post, somewhere, that they had some kind of malfunction in the PM that resulted in a wildly optimistic number. I don't know.

I was in a 'D' race a month or so ago, which was an "Anti-Sandbagging" race. Someone took off at the start, doing 4 w/kg, which isn't TOO strange at the start. But they just kept on putting out 4 w/kg - but with some variation so it wasn't a bot. The weird thing is, they kept that up the entire length of the 30 minute race, and never got 'coned', even though other riders putting out fewer w/kg did.

I’ll stick with my b bot.

Mojo31 02-23-22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22419245)
How do these brushless motors work? Must be a whole different armature in there. Duh. Are there still magnets, or electro-magnets in them?

No clue. I just use stuff. Don’t always care about how it works, just that it does.

big john 02-23-22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2 (Post 22419245)

There are magnets but they are moved to the rotor and the stator has the electro-magnets.
How does a brushless electric motor work? | HowStuffWorks

Eric F 02-23-22 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22419321)

I wish I could stick with B-bot. My fitness and fatness keep me firmly in the C-bot range. However, when I'm feeling good I tend to get into a splinter group that can stay away off the front.

genejockey 02-23-22 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 22419341)
I wish I could stick with B-bot. My fitness and fatness keep me firmly in the C-bot range. However, when I'm feeling good I tend to get into a splinter group that can stay away off the front.

Riding with Cadence on the Makuri Islands is more of a challenge than Watopia. More hills, more rollers, makes it more interesting and harder to keep up.

The Brevet group swarmed past me last night. I thought of trying to grab on, but I has already decided last night wasn't for hard efforts.

Mojo31 02-23-22 07:02 PM

Artic blast nonsense today.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d18e76a434.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b22684258b.jpg

WhyFi 02-23-22 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 22419321)

For 10 minutes. :p

rjones28 02-23-22 07:44 PM

SportWagen stowed. Snowblower prepped. Ready for the forecast 8-to-10 inches of snow. No window scrapping will be required. :)

WhyFi 02-23-22 07:46 PM

I ran over to Home Depot for some toggle bolts (really) and someone putting up the displays wanted to illustrate my point about the size of the subcompact impact drivers:roflmao2:

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7bef687ad0.jpg

Okay, not a fair comparison - behemoth 1/2" vs subcompact 3/8" - but some of these subcompacts are so tiny that you'd be tempted to call 'em "cute."

Mojo31 02-23-22 07:51 PM

No way would I use a cute drill.

There are principals at stake.

WhyFi 02-23-22 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419406)

None of the drills quite made it past the "cute" threshold for me, but a few of the impact drivers did. Makita's XDT16, in particular, is pretty damn small, and it's supposed to be one of the best on the market.

Velo Vol 02-23-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419371)
Artic blast nonsense today.

Seven more weeks of it, at least.

genejockey 02-23-22 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 22419406)

They should make the larger and fill the empty space with something heavy so we still feel manly wielding them, amirite?

Mojo31 02-23-22 08:32 PM

Of course!

DougRNS 02-23-22 08:40 PM

Here you go Velo Vol some music education.

DougRNS 02-23-22 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 22419400)
SportWagen stowed. Snowblower prepped. Ready for the forecast 8-to-10 inches of snow. No window scrapping with be required. :)

it was 75 today in Northwest Metro Atlanta.