Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors… (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1253419)

mschwett 06-13-22 03:31 PM

sometimes cyclists don’t do our collective image any favors…

this guy just rolled up and parked his huge bike with trailer partially in a crowded parklet, literally blocking 3/4 the width of the sidewalk. zero consideration for the pedestrians going by. WTF?!?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9f8c12cd8.jpeg

10 Wheels 06-13-22 03:33 PM

Most likley need the restroom.

mschwett 06-13-22 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels (Post 22540241)
Most likley need the restroom.

nope. ordered a couple slices of pizza, waited for them, put the (small) box in his trailer. would be nice if there was more bike parking, but really?!?

TiHabanero 06-13-22 03:54 PM

Perhaps the person is one of those "make a statement" people. Just cut them some slack and remember to do better yourself. Every crowd will always have a fool in it.

Chinghis 06-13-22 04:27 PM

Not a cyclist. That's an e-ped.

Don't blame us cyclists!!

(slight /s)

Joe Bikerider 06-13-22 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chinghis (Post 22540302)
Not a cyclist. That's an e-ped

That’s the term I’ve been looking for. I am getting very tired of gigantic fat tired electric powered vehicles zooming dangerously around on my local MUP. Now I have a pejorative term I can use. Thanks.

MattTheHat 06-13-22 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider (Post 22540311)
That’s the term I’ve been looking for. I am getting very tired of gigantic fat tired electric powered vehicles zooming dangerously around on my local MUP. Now I have a pejorative term I can use. Thanks.

I’ve seen a few, though I haven’t noticed them rider any faster than other cyclist. I was thinking just yesterday that they’re probably a lot of fun.

Paul Barnard 06-13-22 05:01 PM

That's a great big nothing biscuit.

thumpism 06-13-22 05:05 PM

Real cyclists who are seriously overloaded generally show more consideration when parking on the sidewalk.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...18f7c90244.jpg

trailangel 06-13-22 05:24 PM

There is a new group of riders... ebikers.... they don't have any manners.

veganbikes 06-13-22 05:28 PM

Sadly it is tough to tell a bicycle or e-bike from a throttled moped. This is a throttled moped. It is sad they took up the entire sidewalk but I wouldn't be surprised if they rode it on the sidewalk as well. Sadly we just have to educate them as best you can and hope they will one day learn.

VegasJen 06-13-22 06:18 PM

San Fransisco. Lucky he didn't drop trow right there on the sidewalk. :lol:

freeranger 06-13-22 06:23 PM

There are a-holes riding pedal powered bikes also. Quite a few on the local mup actually. Have had more than one close call when no notification given as they fly by. And have met riders on e-bikes that otherwise, due to injury, would not be riding at all. Don't think we can throw riders of a particular bike under the bus. That guy would have found a way to qualify as a jerk regardless of what he was riding.

Rolla 06-13-22 06:39 PM

People are dicks. Doesn’t matter what they ride or if they ride

indyfabz 06-13-22 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rolla (Post 22540444)
People are dicks. Doesn’t matter what they ride or if they ride

Yep. I pulled into a Walmart parking lot in Newport, VT, this morning to take shelter from a passing shower. Saw at least 5 people roll their empty carts so that they slammed into the side of the building. Too lazy to walk them to the cart corral.

A couple of days ago some idiot young woman in a car told me I was riding on the wrong side of the road. She called me a dips**t. I was, of course, riding on the correct side of the road.

mschwett 06-13-22 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 22540371)
Sadly it is tough to tell a bicycle or e-bike from a throttled moped. This is a throttled moped. It is sad they took up the entire sidewalk but I wouldn't be surprised if they rode it on the sidewalk as well. Sadly we just have to educate them as best you can and hope they will one day learn.

i don’t have any problem with e-bikes, i own a few. but i just don’t understand how someone ride that huge thing down a crowded sidewalk, get off, and then decide to park it almost entirely PERPENDICULAR to the sidewalk!

i think he thought it was the only angle he could lock it up at?

indyfabz 06-13-22 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by mschwett (Post 22540458)
i don’t have any problem with e-bikes, i own a few. but i just don’t understand how someone ride that huge thing down a crowded sidewalk, get off, and then decide to park it almost entirely PERPENDICULAR to the sidewalk!

Is it really a revelation to you that a large percentage of the population doesn’t consider how their actions affect those around them or do but make their convenience paramount? No different from someone who, say, parks in the street in front of a huge parking space because they are too lazy to park in the space for their quick errand.

If so, welcome to 2022 and beyond.

alcjphil 06-13-22 07:33 PM

I have spent 50 years riding on the roads and have had some unpleasant encounters with motorists during that time. It's nice to know that there are now people who are far more annoying than I am. They will distract the crazies from going after me

mschwett 06-13-22 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22540468)
Is it really a revelation to you that a large percentage of the population doesn’t consider how their actions affect those around them or do but make their convenience paramount? No different from someone who, say, parks in the street in front of a huge parking space because they are too lazy to park in the space for their quick errand.

If so, welcome to 2022 and beyond.

i suppose i just like to assume that people who ride bikes are more aware of those around them, because we have to be to not get killed by drivers!

honcho 06-13-22 07:59 PM

At least they parked outside. I get that people don't want to let their bikes out of their sight but do they have to bring them into small stores and coffee shops? The worse indoor behavio I've witnessed was a bike brought into a restroom.

gringomojado 06-13-22 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by freeranger (Post 22540428)
There are a-holes riding pedal powered bikes also. Quite a few on the local mup actually. Have had more than one close call when no notification given as they fly by. And have met riders on e-bikes that otherwise, due to injury, would not be riding at all. Don't think we can throw riders of a particular bike under the bus. That guy would have found a way to qualify as a jerk regardless of what he was riding.

Did the jerk wave?
gm

Rxffy 06-13-22 08:12 PM

The most minor of inconveniences, a two-step avoidance.

Airfehr 06-13-22 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 22540369)
There is a new group of riders... ebikers.... they don't have any manners.

I agree with the ebikers are a group unto itself. But the OP at the heart of the thread title is correct. The stereotype many cagers see us by if perpetuated by a few in substance.

https://cyclinguphill.com/10-annoying-types-cyclists/

veganbikes 06-13-22 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by mschwett (Post 22540458)

I don't have an issue with e-bikes either. I love 'em I have two of them but they are actual electric bicycles. Throttles aren't bicycles but mopeds but yeah I don't think they even cared. It may have been the only angle he thought was possible but it was still a selfish move. However all we can do is teach and hope they will learn.

rsbob 06-13-22 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mschwett (Post 22540505)
i suppose i just like to assume that people who ride bikes are more aware of those around them, because we have to be to not get killed by drivers!

I can not prove it, but based on my cycling friends, they have far fewer vehicle accidents than non-riders due to their hyper awareness of their surroundings, so your supposition probably holds a grain of truth. I have not had an accident since 1978 and that was loosing it on black ice.