Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   Giant Road-e (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1102978)

cstp 03-31-17 08:48 AM

Giant Road-e

:thumb:Still testing more to come etc.

speedy25 03-31-17 09:11 AM

Teaser! :)

Where are you testing it at? Stick a location for yourself in the user CP.

-SP

chas58 03-31-17 09:38 AM

Well, I think this is going to be a better bike than anything currently mass marketed...

Bunny Hop Like It’s Easter – The Lunacycle Giant Anthem 2 BBSHD Reviewed

https://electricbike-blog.com/2017/0...bshd-reviewed/

cstp 04-03-17 05:07 PM

Took a 28 mile ride today.

The bike performed flawlessly and very responsive. The stealthy look had road bikers turn there heads at me today on my ride. :eek::D
I had speeds up to 24.5 mph (on normal mode) it can hit speed to 28 mph with no problem. 2 hour ride and battery had 34 mile range left. You could get 70 mile on the battery or more depending mode you select. If you have a Giant dealer by you go for a ride and try this bike out. :thumb:

Kindaslow 04-03-17 07:04 PM

I have the Haibike and rode the Giant. I think they are very similar.

tegnamo 04-04-17 09:50 AM

I test rode a Haibike "road" bike as well.

Very interesting animal.

But, weird that they spec two different hoods, because there is no front derailleur so they opted to cheap out and put on a non STI lever. Don't quite understand that. I didn't notice it until someone pointed it out, so maybe that's why?

Otherwise, classic Bosch speed and handling is nippy. But I was on super big frame so I don't think it represented what the ride would feel like if I was on a smaller, more appropriate size.

Also, I think they need to work on their component and cabling integration. The Bosch controller buttons are on the stem cap. Yeesh...awful placement.

kcflyer 06-07-17 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by cstp (Post 19487194)
The bike performed flawlessly and very responsive. The stealthy look had road bikers turn there heads at me today on my ride. :eek::D
I had speeds up to 24.5 mph (on normal mode) it can hit speed to 28 mph with no problem. 2 hour ride and battery had 34 mile range left. You could get 70 mile on the battery or more depending mode you select. If you have a Giant dealer by you go for a ride and try this bike out. :thumb:

I ordered one last Friday and am waiting for it to arrive. I had to change because of a "minor" heart condition...I was getting back into cycling and was wanting to work my way to doing longer rides at about 18 mph. My doctor said that might be pushing thing a bit too much. I test road a Dirt E to see what the drive system was like, and it did exactly what I hoped it would. The guys at the bike shop said that the Road E is much, much nicer. Eagerly awaiting the call that it's arrived.

Dunbar 06-07-17 09:31 PM

Trek is also making an electric version of the Cross Rip. A lot of the electric road bikes are adapted from flat bar hybrid frames so the geometry isn't ideal for drop bars.

niteman50 06-11-17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by kcflyer (Post 19638759)
I ordered one last Friday and am waiting for it to arrive. I had to change because of a "minor" heart condition...I was getting back into cycling and was wanting to work my way to doing longer rides at about 18 mph. My doctor said that might be pushing thing a bit too much. I test road a Dirt E to see what the drive system was like, and it did exactly what I hoped it would. The guys at the bike shop said that the Road E is much, much nicer. Eagerly awaiting the call that it's arrived.

Congrats, I have been riding mine for about a month and I can't get the smile off my face. Due to medical reasons I also cannot pedal without assistance. That being said I can dial in as much assist and gearing to not overtax myself and still do my club rides. Riding at different speeds and often faster with less effort than before. I developed a slight noise which is being addressed by the shop and Giant. Doesn't effect the performance, just an annoyance. I found it necessary to ease off on the cadence prior to shifting to prevent mashing the gears. Flawless, comfortable well thought out bike.

kcflyer 06-17-17 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by niteman50 (Post 19647368)
Congrats, I have been riding mine for about a month and I can't get the smile off my face. Due to medical reasons I also cannot pedal without assistance. That being said I can dial in as much assist and gearing to not overtax myself and still do my club rides. Riding at different speeds and often faster with less effort than before. I developed a slight noise which is being addressed by the shop and Giant. Doesn't effect the performance, just an annoyance. I found it necessary to ease off on the cadence prior to shifting to prevent mashing the gears. Flawless, comfortable well thought out bike.

I did a 32 mile group ride today. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they guys at the bike shop said that I'd probably never take it out of Eco mode unless I wanted to show off. They were right. While the bike is heavy, it's a damn fine road bike, even with the system off. I had it turned off about 75% of the time...it just rode really nice. Eco mode flattened the hills. I put in up to Normal on a longer and steeper hill and was amazed. I'm kind of afraid to even try Power mode. This bike is everything I had hoped it would be. I did a 32 mile ride and feel like I could do another 32. This bike is "just what the doctor ordered". My only complaint is that you can only mount 1 bottle cage and today was pretty hot and humid. I used a Camelback backpack (fashion police be damned) and that worked out quite well.

hancheyb 09-12-17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by kcflyer (Post 19659205)
I did a 32 mile group ride today. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they guys at the bike shop said that I'd probably never take it out of Eco mode unless I wanted to show off. They were right. While the bike is heavy, it's a damn fine road bike, even with the system off. I had it turned off about 75% of the time...it just rode really nice. Eco mode flattened the hills. I put in up to Normal on a longer and steeper hill and was amazed. I'm kind of afraid to even try Power mode. This bike is everything I had hoped it would be. I did a 32 mile ride and feel like I could do another 32. This bike is "just what the doctor ordered". My only complaint is that you can only mount 1 bottle cage and today was pretty hot and humid. I used a Camelback backpack (fashion police be damned) and that worked out quite well.

What kind of range did you have left after a ride like that? I'm looking at this bike to allow me to do a 34 mile round trip commute, but I want to do it as quickly as possible. So Normal or Turbo mode might be required.

kcflyer 09-12-17 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by hancheyb (Post 19857030)
What kind of range did you have left after a ride like that? I'm looking at this bike to allow me to do a 34 mile round trip commute, but I want to do it as quickly as possible. So Normal or Turbo mode might be required.

Since I posted that, I have played around with different settings. Last weekend I did another ride of about 35 miles, about half in eco mode and half in Normal mode. I had a little over 50% battery remaining. But here's the thing I am discovering - - if you rely TOO much on the assist, the battery will drain rather quickly. So you kind of have to "outrun" the assist. I'd like to find out where the assist cuts back for each mode - I'm guessing it's about 15 mph for Eco, about 20 for Normal and very near 25 for Power mode. In normal mode it's pretty easy to ride over 25 mph without pushing real hard. In power mode, you can pretty easily exceed 30 mph. If you are in the US, it's pretty much a rocket when it is in Normal and Power modes.

I would think that you'd have no problem with a 34 mile round trip...I usually switch between modes - it's really easy to do. The computers estimates range at 93 miles on eco mode, 75 miles on Normal mode and 57 miles on Power mode. I might try a ride with it in Normal mode the whole way and let you know what's left at the end.

hancheyb 09-12-17 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info. That helps. When you say the power cuts out, is it due to higher cadence? I read that it cuts out around 100 rpm while the Bosch goes a little higher.

speedy25 09-13-17 09:12 AM

The bikes I have ridden all are governed by speed. Assist cuts out at 20. The only difference is some have a 15 mph limit using throttle.

-SP

kcflyer 09-13-17 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by hancheyb (Post 19857793)
Thanks for the info. That helps. When you say the power cuts out, is it due to higher cadence? I read that it cuts out around 100 rpm while the Bosch goes a little higher.

It's more by speed, although it factors in cadence and torque. I had a spoke fixed a couple of weeks ago and they forgot to put the magnet on the spoke for the speed sensor. The system wasn't sure what to do....it sensed torque and cadence, but didn't get a speed reading. It would push pretty hard, the shut off and the push hard again. If you maintain a cadence between 60 and 80, you should be able to get the best combination of battery life and speed. One thing that takes getting used to - if you have it in normal or power modes, you can feel it kick in (and go faster) if you UPSHIFT going up a hill. If is pretty natural feeling to ride, but on high assist with a hill, upshifting feels a little odd....but it DOES make you smile.