Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   For the love of English 3 speeds... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=623699)

gster 12-08-20 08:52 AM

Here's an odd Model
Advertised as a 1978 Raleigh Sprinter 3 Speed
Perhaps a Canadian model?
It's clearly labelled a Sports....
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...194f8241fc.jpg
Owner is asking $1500.00.....

markk900 12-08-20 01:22 PM


Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21822778)
I'm in New Jersey. A few shops I've stopped at told me 26x1 3/8" tires are obsolete and no longer available

Try looking online for ISO 590 tires - they should be readily available at a variety of price points.


The Kenda tires are too narrow, they're a fraction of the width of the original tires that came on older bikes. They may 'fit' but they're not right.
I have a number of ISO 590 bikes: the Kendas *look* narrow but I measured them the other day for another thread and they are within 0.5mm of some very old 590s on another bike. I personally don't like the tread pattern but they are cheap and they work. I looked a lot for tires with the older block pattern and found Vee Rubber has them (sometimes sold as Wheelchair tires) but can't find them in Canada. As above, do a search and you will find a number of different options. Far from "obsolete"!

markk900 12-08-20 01:25 PM

2fat2fly From your list and given your local experience, the second Hercules you quote would be my bet based on the description you give. And its the cheapest.....

sykerocker 12-08-20 08:02 PM


Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21821795)
I've been sort of keeping an eye out for a decent winter project and found a mid 60's Robin Hood, several late 60's Hercules, one Raleigh Sports, and an early 70's Robin Hood that looks like it was taken off the show room floor yesterday.
The Raleigh is rough, mismatched fenders, wrong color fork, older rims, and the chrome bits look like they were cleaned of rust leaving lots of pitting and rough spots. It has been completely gone through with new tires and a new sprung saddle that looks the part.
The guy wants $200 firm

There's a mid 60's Robin Hood, same size frame, in black, with good rims, older but likely serviceable tires, the owner says he just repacked all the bearings a couple of years ago but its been sitting in the garage since. It rides and shifts like new but the paint is dull from age, the Wright saddle has a few cracks, and the decals are almost completely gone. There isn't many scratches, just dull paint. He's asking $500 and won't budge.

The first Hercules is a late 60's model, also marked AMF on the chain guard and seat tube. The paint is rough, lots of scratches but no rust, the fenders are straight but the paint is rubbed thin all over. The rims have some pitting from previous rust, the tires are new but look narrow, they say Kenda on the sides. The bike rides and shifts but the ride is hard, the narrower tires need to be inflated to 65psi to not let the rims hit the pavement on bumps. The guy is asking $250 but there may be room for negotiating. My first impression was that its nothing special, just an old neglected bike that he brought back from the dead.

The next Hercules is fairly clean, its got decent paint, but not perfect, the paint still shines a bit and will likely polish back up, the fenders are clean and shiny, and the rims are spotless. The tires say Raleigh Record and have a block tread but no reflector strip, my guess is they're likely original. They show no signs of dryrot through. The rear hub says 10 - 73. The seller wants $175 firm (He dropped down from $200).

The next Hercules is an AMF model, with AMF only on the seat tube, plus the fork blades and seat stays have reflector tape bands on them. The bike is 99% perfect appearance wise, the tires also say Raleigh Record on then as well as tiny CST logos. The tires are likely serviceable but show some cracking. The bike has likely never been apart for any sort of recent service. The stem and cranks have Raleigh logos on them but the headbadge is Hercules. The rear hub says 2-71. The seller is firm at $250.

The last Hercules is also an AMF model, the paint is near perfect, the saddle is missing some stitching on the sides, the tires are original, Dunlop branded and showing some age cracks, the rims are Sturmey Archer and near mint, the rear hub reads 11 - 70. Its got the same reflector tape as the last one on the frame. The seller said its just how he found it, but it looks great. He's asking $400.

I looked at probably a dozen others, some were a lot cheaper but most needed major repairs. Lots with missing fenders, dents in the frame, badly rusted rims, tires that were rotted beyond use or missing, and rust everywhere, and they still wanted over $100.

The way I see it, any bike I buy will need new tires and tubes, and from what I'm seeing that's going to run between $70 and $100.
Most if not all will need new brake pads, the originals seem to all be petrified and useless, so figure another $30 for a good set of Kool stop pads. Most I've seen need a saddle upgrade, from what I've seen a decent padded saddle that looks correct is around $50, or a new Brooks saddle for about $120 or so.
These expenses are static and I'll likely need to spend this no matter what I buy.
Going through the bearings won't cost me anything but time, and like a few others mentioned before, I'd also do that on any bike I buy, regardless of what the seller tells me was done.
The big question I suppose is how much is better paint and chrome worth?
I can find a cheap ride under $200 but it'll have major cosmetic issues, or I can spend a few hundred more and have perfect paint and end up with what is basically a new bike when I'm done.

I also considered stripping and repainting a rough one but where do I find original decals? All I see are self stick type decals or vinyl decals on fleabay. I'm guessing that the originals were all water slide type or paint?

How much of a taboo is it to strip and repaint one of these old bikes? I know with a lot of road bikes most don't want the factory paint so much as touched, let alone a complete redo. I know if I can find the right decals, I can certainly do a factory looking paint job, my concern would be ending up with something that's too perfect paint wise. Most of these I've seen don't have a lot of paint sheen, they appear dipped not sprayed from the factory.

I'm leaning toward the first Raleigh Sports, since its already a mismatch of parts, a repaint can't hurt its value none. The hard part may be finding perfect chrome bits, if not I'm looking at hundreds to clean and re-chrome all the original parts properly. My concern would be adding thickness to things like the stem or seat post in a re-chrome. Getting the right type of chrome and the right shine may also be tough. I've seen a few re-chrome jobs on some 50's era Schwinn bikes and it just never looks factory to me.

All those bikes had better be documentable to ownership by John Lennon or Paul McCartney when new.for the prices the seller is holding out for. In my area (Richmond, VA) a 3-speed in mint, perfect condition (as in, bought, ridden twice, then wrapped up and stored in a dry room until now) could probably bring $250.00. Normal price on a decent Raleigh Sports, post tear down and go-over is about $125-150.00.

vintagebicycle 12-08-20 10:02 PM


Originally Posted by sykerocker (Post 21824528)
All those bikes had better be documentable to ownership by John Lennon or Paul McCartney when new.for the prices the seller is holding out for. In my area (Richmond, VA) a 3-speed in mint, perfect condition (as in, bought, ridden twice, then wrapped up and stored in a dry room until now) could probably bring $250.00. Normal price on a decent Raleigh Sports, post tear down and go-over is about $125-150.00.

Around these parts anything under $200 is a rusty mess these days. $125 usually won't even find you a Walmart bike. I've bought a few ladies models cheap but nothing I'd consider a keeper.

Old English built bikes are few and far between, they always were in this area. The most prolific bike shops in the area sold mostly Schwinn Ross, or Columbia bikes, those who didn't buy shop bikes bought from Sears or Kmart. I'm not sure you could find even a decent vintage Huffy for under $150 these days. Pre 60's model are even fewer and were even 40 years ago.

Johno59 12-08-20 11:06 PM

A professional quality paint job costs a lot of money in the UK - easily $500 so if you can do it yourself go for it. Decals - even water based ones - are available period correct. Robin Hoods were the cheaper version put out by Raleigh so your seller has got it ass-about. Tires,pads, etc are of no period value. A good second hand Brooks saddle and rims are expensive.
The Sports would have been the better bike, followed by the Herc's but they are all Raleigh bikes slowly going broke by the 1970s. I can't believe all these bikes fit your size! Narrow down the ones that fit your body shape and remember the older bike the better the construction. , especially if you can paint.
Have fun!

cudak888 12-09-20 12:02 AM


Originally Posted by 2fat2fly (Post 21822778)
The Kenda tires are too narrow, they're a fraction of the width of the original tires that came on older bikes. They may 'fit' but they're not right.
The Michelin tire is a good option but they only come in gumwall and are harder yet to find. When you do find them, they're expensive.

Correction - the Michelin World Tours are available as blackwalls in EA3, but they're not usually available from US LBSes (there are some exceptions). I bought mine from BikeInn and they were shipped from the NL to the US. $32.97 shipped for a pair.

They're labeled as 35's rather than 38's, but they're wider than any of the el-cheapos. They also have a proper, period-looking block-ish tread that's made to look more about "non skid" than "super fast performance."

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0732ccd196.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a3dba2548.jpg


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ddca6f8c39.jpg


Schwalbe's Delta Cruiser is a very nice riding choice if you can tolerate the tread and the reflective stripe - but it is properly puffy in size. It's my go-to when I want quality EA3's in creme, for I've had bad luck with the el-cheapo Wanda-brand creme EA3's (which are the only alternative).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ea9ca08ec.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b59d97a07.jpg


-Kurt

oldlugs 12-09-20 06:49 AM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21824741)
Correction - the Michelin World Tours are available as blackwalls in EA3, but they're not usually available from US LBSes (there are some exceptions). I bought mine from BikeInn and they were shipped from the NL to the US. $32.97 shipped for a pair.

They're labeled as 35's rather than 38's, but they're wider than any of the el-cheapos. They also have a proper, period-looking block-ish tread that's made to look more about "non skid" than "super fast performance."

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0732ccd196.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9a3dba2548.jpg


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ddca6f8c39.jpg


Schwalbe's Delta Cruiser is a very nice riding choice if you can tolerate the tread and the reflective stripe - but it is properly puffy in size. It's my go-to when I want quality EA3's in creme, for I've had bad luck with the el-cheapo Wanda-brand creme EA3's (which are the only alternative).

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4ea9ca08ec.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6b59d97a07.jpg


-Kurt


Its been my experience that no LBS around me stocks or sells any 26x1 3/8" tires, a few up north sometimes can get Michelin gumwalls but to me they just don't belong on an English bike with fenders. They also don't age well here for some reason.
There's been a seller on CL who has black Michelin World Sport tires in the 590 size for $50/pr. They're the only option I've found other than using the much too narrow Kenda or any of the Kenda clones. Every Wanda tire I've had was hard as stone, one had petrified so bad I had to cut it off the rim.

For myself, I always stick to blackwall tires, so the Michelin's have been the go to tire if I can't find good originals. I've got a dozen bikes, and probably half of them are still running on original or period tires but those aren't my daily or 'long ride' bikes.

I actually looked into ordering the Michelin tires by mail but the shipping kills any price break I'd get even in quantity.
When I can find them, Cheng Shin still makes their version of the old Raleigh Record with the block tread in 37-590 but its only marketed to the wheel chair market. Finding them in black is hard since most places only keep gray or white. I've seen a few sets in white on bikes lately, but their 'white' is very bright white. They're a bit narrower than the originals but not as bad as the Kenda tires I've seen.

As far as bike prices, around here things have gone crazy this year, but only for desirable bikes. Ladies models still don't sell, and the three speed crowd is scarce lately but those who know what they're looking at are paying top dollar. I get stopped all the time while out riding about selling the bike I'm on. I rarely sell anything once I go through it and set it up for my use.

I did part with an older Hercules (non AMF), it was in fair shape paint and chrome wise but 100% mechanically, having been completely gone over just a few years ago. At the time, if I had listed it for sale, I don't think I'd have asked what the buyer had offered and paid for it. Judging by today's prices though, I'd likely have gotten a bit more for it. I had let it go for $250 cash. I think with what I'm seeing lately, and judging by a few offers I got for a few others I let it go too cheap.

The fact of a bike being a Raleigh or any of the lesser brands doesn't seem to hurt the value much, in fact it seems to help lately with many wanting something 'different' than the common Raleigh. For me, I've always been partial to the Robin Hood brand but likely because my first bike was a Robin Hood. Yet my daily rider has been a 1967 Raleigh Sprite with an S5 hub. Its been my winter bike for about 10 years now. I had bought it for its rear hub to use on another bike but since it had new tires at the time I started using it and it became a keeper for now. It keeps wear and tear off a few nicer bikes I've got.

markk900 12-09-20 07:18 AM

cudak888 : Kurt I really like those world tours in BW - will look for them here in the frozen north.

I was recently doing a search for some period correct motorcycle ties for a bike I am restoring - it’s crazy that the tires exist but don’t seem to be easily available in North America. I noted in one case for tires from China that the Aliexpress price for a motorcycle tires was $6USD with minimum order of 500; the same tire where I could find it was over $30USD. Those Kenda and CST imports must be under a buck each wholesale.

Johno59 12-09-20 07:40 AM

Kenda UK not so good
 
Maybe it's the gritting they use on the roads in the UK but Kenda tires are terrible here. The old 27 inch gum wall Raleigh tire is the standard wheel for the Chinese 'Hero" bike (copy of the prewar British Phillips) which are really cheap($10)on Ebay and last well enough.
Some of the Made in Vietnam tires are good but are a bear to get on a 26 inch rim.

cudak888 12-09-20 07:43 AM


Originally Posted by oldlugs (Post 21824868)
There's been a seller on CL who has black Michelin World Sport tires in the 590 size for $50/pr. They're the only option I've found other than using the much too narrow Kenda or any of the Kenda clones. Every Wanda tire I've had was hard as stone, one had petrified so bad I had to cut it off the rim.

For myself, I always stick to blackwall tires, so the Michelin's have been the go to tire if I can't find good originals. I've got a dozen bikes, and probably half of them are still running on original or period tires but those aren't my daily or 'long ride' bikes.

I actually looked into ordering the Michelin tires by mail but the shipping kills any price break I'd get even in quantity.

No sense in relying on the Craigslist flipper when you can have the same tires from BikeInn for $18 cheaper...including shipping.

--Kurt

markk900 12-09-20 01:51 PM

Kurt: for the record the prices on bikeinn are fantastic, but as an experiment I tried to buy a couple of $12CAD World Tours.....shipping to Canada was $66CAD! So that is not an option as far as I can see for Canadians. I found I can get stuff from Australia or the UK for under $15CAD for shipping - not sure why US retailers are so harsh with shipping internationally.

vintagebicycle 12-09-20 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 21824924)
No sense in relying on the Craigslist flipper when you can have the same tires from BikeInn for $18 cheaper...including shipping.

--Kurt

I bought a couple pair off CL over the summer, got them for $75 for two pair. I could have ordered them online for a bit less but I didn't have to wait and I prefer to spend my money local when I can.

The Michelin tire is great but not 100% authentic looking. Cheng Shin does make a copy of the old Raleigh Record tire sans the reflector stripe.

Up until a few years ago I was able to find tires marked 'Coaster' in 26x1 3/8" with similar tread, they were a dead ringer for the original rubber on most 60's and 70's Raleigh bikes. They held up well too but the source disappeared. The tires had minimal marking on them, no country of origin, just the brand Coaster, 55psi(33ATM) and 37A-590 on each sidewall.
The tread was the same as the original Dunlop tires from the 60's and they were a tad bit on the wide side. One thing I did notice is that as they aged, if not kept clean, they would brown slightly similar to how some Michelin car tires do. I have a set on one of my bikes that are close to 10 years old and they still look and feel brand new. The last one's I was able to buy came from a bike shop that's now closed, it was an old backyard type shop the guy operated out of an old chicken coop, no telling who he was buying them from. A number of years ago he also had knock off Raleigh style hand grips, they were in generic packages with only 'Coaster' as the brand name. They were dead ringers for the ribbed Raleigh grips but with no logo. There was also black rubber brake blocks, which were a dead match for the original John Bull pads, also embossed with the "Coaster" name. The package was a plain vinyl bag with a white stapled card on top with only the name Coaster on it and 'Fits Raleigh' below. No address, no country of origin. A lot of his parts and accessories were branded the same way. It was likely the house brand of which ever wholesaler he dealt with but he likely took that info to the grave with him.
What I liked about them is that they were fairly heavy tires, they were tough as nails with a stiff sidewall that held its shape over obstacles. I don't think I've ever had a flat with them on the bike. The tread was a three linear bands with a single row of block tread on each corner.
Here's a flyer showing the same tread by Dunlop.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0d131e78c2.jpg

cudak888 12-09-20 02:20 PM


Originally Posted by vintagebicycle (Post 21825629)
I bought a couple pair off CL over the summer, got them for $75 for two pair. I could have ordered them online for a bit less but I didn't have to wait and I prefer to spend my money local when I can.

The Michelin tire is great but not 100% authentic looking. Cheng Shin does make a copy of the old Raleigh Record tire sans the reflector stripe.

Up until a few years ago I was able to find tires marked 'Coaster' in 26x1 3/8" with similar tread, they were a dead ringer for the original rubber on most 60's and 70's Raleigh bikes. They held up well too but the source disappeared. The tires had minimal marking on them, no country of origin, just the brand Coaster, 55psi(33ATM) and 37A-590 on each sidewall.
The tread was the same as the original Dunlop tires from the 60's and they were a tad bit on the wide side. One thing I did notice is that as they aged, if not kept clean, they would brown slightly similar to how some Michelin car tires do. I have a set on one of my bikes that are close to 10 years old and they still look and feel brand new. The last one's I was able to buy came from a bike shop that's now closed, it was an old backyard type shop the guy operated out of an old chicken coop, no telling who he was buying them from. A number of years ago he also had knock off Raleigh style hand grips, they were in generic packages with only 'Coaster' as the brand name. They were dead ringers for the ribbed Raleigh grips but with no logo. There was also black rubber brake blocks, which were a dead match for the original John Bull pads, also embossed with the "Coaster" name. The package was a plain vinyl bag with a white stapled card on top with only the name Coaster on it and 'Fits Raleigh' below. No address, no country of origin. A lot of his parts and accessories were branded the same way. It was likely the house brand of which ever wholesaler he dealt with but he likely took that info to the grave with him.
What I liked about them is that they were fairly heavy tires, they were tough as nails with a stiff sidewall that held its shape over obstacles. I don't think I've ever had a flat with them on the bike. The tread was a three linear bands with a single row of block tread on each corner.
Here's a flyer showing the same tread by Dunlop.

In comparison to Dunlop, perhaps not. But for a quality tire available today that fills the fender and has good ride characteristics, hard to beat. Panaracer has some really nice options available on the Japanese market, but most of them are Kevlar bead and poorly suited to the straight-sided Raleigh rims.

I know that Cheng Shin copy of the Raleigh Record tire. I've also seen it under the IRC name (15+ years ago, I put those tires under my first Raleigh Sports), and I'm pretty sure it's been under a few other names as well. Some of those castings are old and really questionable - I won't use any of them. The ones I've had usually dry rot pretty quickly too.

Curious if you have a photo of one of those Coasters. Never came across them myself. I have one of those Dunlop Sports sitting about as an illustrative example, as it has a small tear in the sidewall. A nice looking tire indeed. Repop 1970's Raleigh grips are still available under the DRIVE wheelchair brand:

https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/...ric-steel.html
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...fe4358139b.jpg

Incidentally, this US-sourced (New Hampshire) '52 one came with Goodyears on it, and the '51 I got from from @nlerner (Massachusetts by period license plate on the rear fender) many years back also has period Goodyears on it. I assume they were a common replacement here on this side of the pond.

Not a great pic, but:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d77ef4452c.jpg


-Kurt

dweenk 12-09-20 02:29 PM


Originally Posted by vintagebicycle (Post 21825629)
I bought a couple pair off CL over the summer, got them for $75 for two pair. I could have ordered them online for a bit less but I didn't have to wait and I prefer to spend my money local when I can.

The Michelin tire is great but not 100% authentic looking. Cheng Shin does make a copy of the old Raleigh Record tire sans the reflector stripe.

Up until a few years ago I was able to find tires marked 'Coaster' in 26x1 3/8" with similar tread, they were a dead ringer for the original rubber on most 60's and 70's Raleigh bikes. They held up well too but the source disappeared. The tires had minimal marking on them, no country of origin, just the brand Coaster, 55psi(33ATM) and 37A-590 on each sidewall.
The tread was the same as the original Dunlop tires from the 60's and they were a tad bit on the wide side. One thing I did notice is that as they aged, if not kept clean, they would brown slightly similar to how some Michelin car tires do. I have a set on one of my bikes that are close to 10 years old and they still look and feel brand new. The last one's I was able to buy came from a bike shop that's now closed, it was an old backyard type shop the guy operated out of an old chicken coop, no telling who he was buying them from. A number of years ago he also had knock off Raleigh style hand grips, they were in generic packages with only 'Coaster' as the brand name. They were dead ringers for the ribbed Raleigh grips but with no logo. There was also black rubber brake blocks, which were a dead match for the original John Bull pads, also embossed with the "Coaster" name. The package was a plain vinyl bag with a white stapled card on top with only the name Coaster on it and 'Fits Raleigh' below. No address, no country of origin. A lot of his parts and accessories were branded the same way. It was likely the house brand of which ever wholesaler he dealt with but he likely took that info to the grave with him.
What I liked about them is that they were fairly heavy tires, they were tough as nails with a stiff sidewall that held its shape over obstacles. I don't think I've ever had a flat with them on the bike. The tread was a three linear bands with a single row of block tread on each corner.
Here's a flyer showing the same tread by Dunlop.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0d131e78c2.jpg

It could be this...

"The United States has announced plans to withdraw from a 144-year postal treaty that sets lower international shipping rates. The US claims this treaty gives countries like China and Singapore an unfair advantage that floods the US market with cheap packages. The BBC reports the withdraw of this treaty will increase shipping costs from China by between 40% and 70%.

The treaty in question is the Universal Postal Union, which established that each country should retain all money it has collected for international postage. The US Chamber of Commerce has said this treaty, ‘leads to the United States essentially paying for Chinese shipping’. This is especially true since 2010, when the US Postal Service entered an agreement with eBay Greater China & Southeast Asia and the China Post Express & Logistics Corporation. This agreement established e-packet delivery where packages weighing up to 2 kg would be delivered at lower prices. If you have ordered inexpensive products shipped from abroad, it is likely the e-packet price that made this possible.

This will affect businesses that capitalize on imports and exports; the storefronts on Amazon and eBay that resell Chinese goods rely on cheap shipping from China. It will also affect companies based outside of the United States that ship to US customers. Small businesses within the US who manufacture at low enough quantities to get their components/raw-materials shipped under the e-packet rates will also see a hit. An increase in shipping costs will mean higher prices for all of these products.

The move is also being justified as a way to even the playing field for US manufacturers who are shipping from within the US and may be paying higher rates to ship to the same customers as foreign-bought goods. It is the latest development in a growing trade war between the US and China which has already seen several rounds of tarrifs on goods like electronics, and even 3D printing filament. It’s hard to see how the compounding effect of these will be anything but higher prices for consumers. Manufacturers seeing the pinch on raw materials and components will pass this on to customers who will also soon see higher shipping prices than they are used to.

cudak888 12-09-20 02:35 PM


Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21825667)
It could be this...

Hasn't hit AliExpress shipments yet. Doubt if it's the case for the (apparently) older Coaster brand.

More likely the importer folded, the company changed their lineup approach, the supply ran out, or the company making the repops moved on to copying more modern bits.

-Kurt

vintagebicycle 12-09-20 03:25 PM

I didn't think about it till you pointed out the Drive grips for wheel chairs but maybe the Coaster brand was a wheel chair brand tire? Of course that doesn't account for the brake pads and other misc items that place used to carry. (He had a whole peg board wall behind the counter full of 'Coaster' branded parts, most all for old Raleigh and Schwinn bikes. It was the last place I remember being able to find new double ended Raleigh brake cables too.

They pop up quite a bit around here too. I find a lot of old Schwinns with this brand tire, in the 597 size they're marked 26x1 1/4x1 3/8". I have a set on an old Schwinn Speedster out back and a set of them in 26x1 3/4" on a 70's Schwinn Typhoon. They were on the Typhoon when I found it in a dumpster up in NH about 20 years ago They never seem to dry rot. One thing I noticed about them is that they're not super smooth on the sides, they're a bit lumpy, on the sides.

Here's a quick shot of one on one of my bikes, this one has a ton of miles on it, they've been on that bike for a dozen or more years now. These are a bit beat up from the crushed stone driveway and lot of use at a local game preserve and state park. It was just the easiest to snap a pic of.
What I like best about these is that they rarely get flats.
The rubber on these is pretty hard, it wears for ever. This tire was new about 10 years ago. I think the last one's I bought there were in 2014-15 or so.


https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...68b4818f93.jpg

capnjonny 12-09-20 03:31 PM

Thought I'd drop[p a few pics of the Raleigh Sport I just finished. At the bike Exchange recently I saw a Men's Superb. The paint on it was terrible, it had a chrome fork that was totally wrong for the bike. It had a crank from another not Raleigh that didn't work right. It did have beautiful wheels and tires though, about the only thing on the bike worth keeping. Over in another spot was a ladies Sport. it had 700 c wheels and a single speed freewheel cog. The Root beer metallic paint was beautiful, if dirty. Long story short, I took the best parts from both bikes along with a mint set of Raleigh pedals and built it up as it appears here, including clear coating with Rustoleum Automotive clear enamel and installing a 24 tooth rear cog. Sometime earlier I had taken an old thoroughly wrecked looking Ladies Brooks saddle of another bike. I decided to try and resurrect it. I soaked it in warm water then using a scotch brite pad, scrubbed it. using zip ties(see pic), I reshaped it. When it had dried I Sanded the leather, which after the scrubbing looked like swede, with 400 grit paper till it was smooth then used proof ride on it. Finally, I hung a sweet looking leather tool kit from the saddle . It will now be sold to help support our non profit. https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5c699b2a1e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb57c43c1f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...920872d706.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09938998be.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5af3395d5d.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...277804b531.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b6c10cfa27.jpg

markk900 12-09-20 04:04 PM

capnjonny Beautiful job! I always liked how the root beer bikes stand out in the sun when they are clean. Also, interesting shifter routing - the two ladies frames I have had routed down by the BB - a root beer Raleigh was newer and had a full cable housing to a stop on the chain stay; the mid 50s Standard Model K used a bare cable that crossed over from the fulcrum on the upper bar to a jockey wheel down by the BB. How are you finding that routing working?

oldlugs 12-10-20 08:19 AM

I've seen those 'Coaster' tires before, I just sort of thought they were an older autoparts store brand similar to the Cordovan tires from Pep Boys. I had a Hercules a few years ago with a pair of them. They were likely older but I left them on because they showed no signs of age or cracking. They were most likely made by a smaller company like Carlisle for sale under a private label.

They don't match the Carlisle version though, Carlisle called theirs Ribgripper but they didn't have the hash marks on the sidewall.

They're likely older than who ever was selling them let on.

dweenk 12-10-20 11:52 AM

Rough but cheap Raleigh Sports
 
Needs work, but the seller says it's a 1965 model and he may be close on the year.
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/bik...231867103.html

Johno59 12-10-20 01:25 PM

Go for it
 

Originally Posted by dweenk (Post 21826897)
Needs work, but the seller says it's a 1965 model and he may be close on the year.
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/bikirk-1965-raleigh-sports-bike/7231867103.html

In 1965 a Raleigh Sports still shared 70 years of quality from its predecessors. Go for it. You won't regret it. I have restored Raleigh much much worse to wear than this one.

Johno59 12-10-20 01:30 PM

Flamboyant
 

Originally Posted by capnjonny (Post 21825772)
Thought I'd drop[p a few pics of the Raleigh Sport I just finished. At the bike Exchange recently I saw a Men's Superb. The paint on it was terrible, it had a chrome fork that was totally wrong for the bike. It had a crank from another not Raleigh that didn't work right. It did have beautiful wheels and tires though, about the only thing on the bike worth keeping. Over in another spot was a ladies Sport. it had 700 c wheels and a single speed freewheel cog. The Root beer metallic paint was beautiful, if dirty. Long story short, I took the best parts from both bikes along with a mint set of Raleigh pedals and built it up as it appears here, including clear coating with Rustoleum Automotive clear enamel and installing a 24 tooth rear cog. Sometime earlier I had taken an old thoroughly wrecked looking Ladies Brooks saddle of another bike. I decided to try and resurrect it. I soaked it in warm water then using a scotch brite pad, scrubbed it. using zip ties(see pic), I reshaped it. When it had dried I Sanded the leather, which after the scrubbing looked like swede, with 400 grit paper till it was smooth then used proof ride on it. Finally, I hung a sweet looking leather tool kit from the saddle . It will now be sold to help support our non profit. [img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikeforums.net-vbulletin/2000x1504/img_20201030_121043527_f2a9b3fd1558d804b98b8e54c9ae5c5c699b2a1e.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bb57c43c1f.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...920872d706.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...09938998be.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5af3395d5d.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...277804b531.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b6c10cfa27.jpg

The painting from this era was amazing. It probably kept Raleigh afloat whilst the rest of the build went to crap. The original CB Honda motorbikes had a similar paint which has also never been equalled.

dweenk 12-10-20 01:51 PM


Originally Posted by Johno59 (Post 21827051)
In 1965 a Raleigh Sports still shared 70 years of quality from its predecessors. Go for it. You won't regret it. I have restored Raleigh much much worse to wear than this one.

10 years ago I would be driving to buy it, but I have too many bikes now and need to dispose of most of them. It is a tempting deal.

rustymetal 12-10-20 03:01 PM

That 'Coaster' branded tire reminds me of the tires that were on my old Norman when I got it, they were plain looking like that and branded "Hercules" on the side with only the PSI rating and size on the side. One of the local tire dealers or auto parts stores sold them years ago. The bike shop owners would scoff at them because they were like truck tires, super heavy and rugged. I don't remember there being any country or origin on them but they were likely US made back then. They were around till the late 70's or so, maybe even into the 80's but after that all you could find were import tires. They were great tires, they rarely got a puncture but they were slick as ice when it rained. They were the only tires the old hard rubber John Bull brake pads could make skid on wet pavement.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.