Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   e-Bikes Should Be More Popular (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1290687)

datlas 04-01-24 10:53 AM

e-Bikes Should Be More Popular

e-bikes

It's the best thing.
It so drastically reduces work effort that it saves watts compared to other methods.
It minimises chain, cassette and chain ring wear and costs so little per charge that it offers a significant return on investment.
It is easy and requires less work than any other way of pedaling when defined as 'total time spent pushing the pedals'
Pedaling without assist is hard and leaves traces of salty sweat which flake off and cause a mess.
There we have benefits for all the boy racers, retrogrouches, MAMILs, show offs, and compulsive riders.

Some people assume the set up is difficult or expensive to purchase, but it is not.
Other people think explosive combustible batteries don't work better, but they are still asleep.
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite because your average speed will soar.

So what's going on?

Shops not wanting to sell e-bikes I understand, but among people interested enough to sign up to a cycling forum, this should be so popular.

Let's talk about it.

seypat 04-01-24 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 23201688)
e-bikes

It's the best thing.
It so drastically reduces work effort that it saves watts compared to other methods.
It minimises chain, cassette and chain ring wear and costs so little per charge that it offers a significant return on investment.
It is easy and requires less work than any other way of pedling when defined as 'total time spent pushing the pedals'
Pedaling without assist is hard and leaves traces of salty sweat which flake off and cause a mess.
There we have benefits for all the boy racers, retrogrouches, MAMILs, show offs, and compulsive riders.

Some people assume the set up is difficult or expensive to purchase, but it is not.
Other people think explosive combustible batteries don't work better, but they are still asleep.
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite because your average speed will soar.

So what's going on?

Shops not wanting to sell e-bikes I understand, but among people interested enough to sign up to a cycling forum, this should be so popular.

Let's talk about it.

I think the reason they're not more popular is because E Bike manufacturers/distributers recommend(but not specify) that you must use a chain that has been immersively waxed. I read that on the web somewhere.

Also, people list a lot of lame excuses for riding one, but actually having a bad leg/legs is never listed as a reason.

Steve B. 04-01-24 11:09 AM

Is reducing work effort the goal ?. It’s not for me. I ride a bike to get exercise. Adding an electric motor reduces the exercise I get. No thanks.

Mojo31 04-01-24 11:09 AM

It's not about being a boy racer, it's about keeping up with them.

Mojo31 04-01-24 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 23201707)
Is reducing work effort the goal ?. It’s not for me. I ride a bike to get exercise. Adding an electric motor reduces the exercise I get. No thanks.

Can't it just be for getting a bit more speed and distance but still using the effort that is used on a non-powered bike?

I just can't maintain 18-20 mph for 40 miles anymore.

seypat 04-01-24 11:18 AM

Is vanity the #1 reason for getting an E bike? Some people have a hard time accepting their declining performance. I remember one BFer that no longer posts who tried just about everything to stay in his faster group. He'd start these threads about trying to justify the various things he was doing. The threads were well thought out, but it got pathethic after a while.

Edit: :popcorn

terrymorse 04-01-24 11:21 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...796d9e38ee.jpg

PeteHski 04-01-24 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 23201712)
Can't it just be for getting a bit more speed and distance but still using the effort that is used on a non-powered bike?

I just can't maintain 18-20 mph for 40 miles anymore.

Yeah, I hear they are quite popular for touring the Alpes. Not everyone weighs 60 kg with a 400W FTP.

PeteHski 04-01-24 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by seypat (Post 23201719)
Is vanity the #1 reason for getting an E bike? Some people have a hard time accepting their declining performance. I remember one BFer that no longer posts who tried just about everything to stay in his faster group. He's start these threads about trying to justify the various things he was doing. The threads were well thought out, but it got pathethic after a while.

Edit: :popcorn

I'm not sure about that, but I would say vanity is the #1 reason why some bikers hate them. I know a couple of people who ride e-bikes for reasons that have nothing to do with vanity. One of them commutes 40 miles on hilly roads and uses his e-bike to turn it into a Z2 training ride. He's pretty quick when riding a regular bike.

bampilot06 04-01-24 11:41 AM

Would love Larry’s opinion.

BillyD 04-01-24 12:02 PM

tl;dr

Rick_D 04-01-24 01:03 PM

I note the date and applaud the OP, not just for the post but not including waxing the chain. :-)

In the same spirit, Velo Orange has posted a proven weight-saving trick video.

Steve B. 04-01-24 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by PeteHski (Post 23201731)
I'm not sure about that, but I would say vanity is the #1 reason why some bikers hate them. I know a couple of people who ride e-bikes for reasons that have nothing to do with vanity. One of them commutes 40 miles on hilly roads and uses his e-bike to turn it into a Z2 training ride. He's pretty quick when riding a regular bike.

I have no hate for e-bikes, excepting the powerful throttle models I see folks use (illegally) on our mt. bike trails, doing trail damage in the process. For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often. Commuting longer distances I can see the rational, same with having medical issues that make the e-bike make sense. Otherwise, get a regular bike.

MoAlpha 04-01-24 01:08 PM

I want to get an ebike, but I am worried about riding it on the interstate highway and having the battery die between exits.

TMonk 04-01-24 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 23201832)
I have no hate for e-bikes, excepting the powerful throttle models I see folks use (illegally) on our mt. bike trails, doing trail damage in the process. For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often. Commuting longer distances I can see the rational, same with having medical issues that make the e-bike make sense. Otherwise, get a regular bike.

Same - throttle models on MTB trails are the only avenue where I am anti E-bike. SDMBA (our local IMBA chapter) is anti-e-bike as well for this reason.

Outside of that? Really whatever gets more people out riding on bikes is a good thing IMO. Eventually that equates to more representation, and things like improved cycling infrastructure follow suit. For commuting? Even better, I am 110% supportive of this.

Aubergine 04-01-24 02:14 PM

Seattle is quite hilly and lots of folks get e bikes for a little help up the hills. And families with kids often use e-bikes as a car replacement. I think that overall they are a positive option.

PeteHski 04-01-24 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 23201832)
For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often.

It depends what your idea of “better” exercise is. Whenever I see people walking their bikes up steep hills (which I see quite often on my local hills) I wonder if they would get “better” exercise on an e-bike. Or at least be cycling rather than walking and awkwardly pushing a bike.

Ultimately the amount of exercise depends on how much you push yourself with or without motor assist. An e-bike actually gives you more options as you can adjust the amount of pedal assist. Sometimes you might not want to be over-reaching on the climbs. Or maybe you are simply not built as a climber and using the bike for cross-training eg heavyweight boxer or rower.

An e-bike might make more sense for these people and situations, whether we normal cyclists can see it or not. For example I was jra one day during the pandemic lockdown and came across a guy who was built like a competitive power lifter. He was certainly well north of 100 kg with arms like tree trunks. He was on a normal road bike and crawling up a moderately steep hill, barely able to turn the cranks over. A pedal assist e-bike would have been ideal for this guy to get up and over the hill at a sensible speed and cadence.

SoSmellyAir 04-01-24 03:13 PM

Throttle e-bikes, especially Super 73 models, already seem pretty popular in my area. I suppose they would get even more popular if the police further discourages kids and teens from carrying a passenger; that way, the passengers may decide they need to have their own too.

datlas 04-01-24 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 23201738)
Would love Larry’s opinion.

Should you ride an e-bike with or without a shirt? :innocent:

Chandne 04-01-24 05:24 PM

I use my ebikes for recovery rides of long tough rides when I am not wanting to get crushed....road and mountain. Love them though they still comprise a minority of my riding,

bikemig 04-01-24 05:28 PM

Wait people on bike forums are turning down the chance to buy one more bike? Really? This place is falling apart.

seypat 04-01-24 05:33 PM

What about the "cyclists love to suffer" BS people are always spouting on here?

MoAlpha 04-01-24 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 23202076)
Should you ride an e-bike with or without a shirt? :innocent:

A shirt? I ride without pants because I think bike clothes are ridiculous and I smoke guys in Lycra all the time. What kind of e-bike comes with a genuine shearling saddle?

Mojo31 04-01-24 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 23202130)
A shirt? I ride without pants because I think bike clothes are ridiculous and I smoke guys in Lycra all the time. What kind of e-bike comes with a genuine shearling saddle?

Amazon is your friend - just change the saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sheep...e9df59aa9b9a8c

MoAlpha 04-01-24 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mojo31 (Post 23202178)
Amazon is your friend - just change the saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sheep...e9df59aa9b9a8c

I don’t have a torque wrench.