Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I took my road bike today on the commute (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=826536)

zacster 06-19-12 07:53 PM

I took my road bike today on the commute

How many of you have both a commuter and an all out road bike? I'm not talking about some old 10 speed but a real race-ready bike. (At least mine wouldn't be laughed out of the pack.)

Anyway, I took my carbon fiber Kuota to work today, and what I found and wasn't surprised about, is that it took just as long to ride in as it always does. Those few bursts of speed in Prospect Park and on the Manhattan Bridge don't make up for all the lights, pedestrians and other obstacles. I'm very cautious after 4 accidents in 7 years, including one a few weeks ago. All the hipsters and other young folk are all passing me by on their fixies and other commuter bikes on the streets, and they're also running lights. They make it to the bridge faster than I do, but then I pass them all on the uphill. Then, in their annoyance about being passed by an overweight old guy, they all try hard to catch me on the downhill, since I just mostly coast. What really pisses me off though are the girls (and its always the girls) that will pull in front of you while you wait for a light, and then you have to pass them again. Maybe that's why they were all so annoyed on the bridge too. I waited patiently for the light across from the bridge as they all trickled through, and then I blew by them. When I got to the construction areas at the peak, I'd slow down and they'd be struggling to catch me but get caught behind me on the narrow section.

At least I did something that I haven't done before, I did an extra 2 laps of the park on the way home. I usually don't on the commuter as it just gets too hard when I'm tired after work. I felt in fine shape today.

downtube42 06-19-12 08:22 PM

You're already playing the game, so you may as well know the rules and play it properly.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/art...-racing-29908/

no1mad 06-19-12 08:35 PM

So are the girls that pull in front of you at the light hot?

Seriously, though, passing or getting passed by others is no biggie for me.

ben4345 06-19-12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 14379576)

Not to sound like a pervert or anything. But when nice looking women pull right in front of you, I find it a good omen, and just let the ride ahead with me just a couple meters back. ;)

ben4345 06-19-12 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by no1mad (Post 14379576)

Not to sound like a pervert or anything. But when nice looking women pull right in front of you, I find it a good omen, and just let the ride ahead with me just a couple meters back. ;) Especially when they wear those tight bicycle shorts! :rolleyes:

davestv 06-19-12 08:48 PM

Are you sure they even notice you? You might just be another bike on the road and nobody is annoyed with you at all?

Tycho Brahe 06-19-12 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by zacster (Post 14379386)
I pass them all on the uphill. Then, in their annoyance about being passed by an overweight old guy, they all try hard to catch me on the downhill, since I just mostly coast.

I used to do the same thing! :thumb:

I used to ride a heavy beach cruiser from Brooklyn to Manhattan. Don't remember anymore, but it had somewhere from 3-7 gears. I used to smoke hipsters with their fixies on the way up. I would give them a Nelson "ha ha" in their face as I passed them. On the way down I coasted and enjoyed the view. Of course, the fixies had to constantly peddle. I would laugh at them again on the way down.

Nowadays I ride my entry-level carbon bike to work in California. Much better!

MattFoley 06-19-12 09:20 PM

The first half of my commute is about 10 minutes faster when I ride the road bike, but for the secomd half I have to take different routes, depending on the bike. I have to take the hilly route when I ride the road bike in order to avoid the mile long dirt path that lies along the most direct route. I take the route with the dirt path when I use my dedicated commuter CX bike. Both routes have the same overall distance and take the same amount of time, since the hills negate any time gains on the road bike.

robbyrocks12345 06-19-12 09:22 PM

I commute on my road bike sometimes, but not often, I dont like having to bring a change of shoes, and my road bike is more prone to flats. Another promblem I have is, my road bike does not have any reflectors or mounts for lights, which is a problem as I ride in the dark most days.

tjspiel 06-19-12 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by robbyrocks12345 (Post 14379762)
I commute on my road bike sometimes, but not often, I dont like having to bring a change of shoes, and my road bike is more prone to flats. Another promblem I have is, my road bike does not have any reflectors or mounts for lights, which is a problem as I ride in the dark most days.

I don't think I've ever owned a bike with mounts for lights. ;)

I love riding my road bike to work, not because it's faster, but because it's more fun.

bored117 06-19-12 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...3&d=1330152643

And it does make some difference vs. other bikes. It is total 35 miles with a little over 2500ft of climb a day.
Most recent change is smaller dynapak for summer use and Aero wheel (RS80 C50).

ben4345 06-19-12 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by bored117 (Post 14379989)
Here is mine.

And it does make some difference vs. other bikes. It is total 35 miles with a little over 2500ft of climb a day.

That bike looks way too clean.

lungimsam 06-19-12 10:45 PM

A road bike, you say?
You ride a road bike to work?
Commuting with anything less would be.........uncivilised.

I ride my 2009 Giant Defy 3, 700 x 25c-tired, composite-forked, compact-framed, drop-bars-lower-than-the-saddle, road bike......................................with a rack on the back, to work.

Its the only bike I have. It's that or the wife's step-thru Raleigh. Not that that is bad. It is a beautiful and great running bike, except for the occasional small chainring overshifting.

Soon I hope to be riding a Soma San Marcos.

lungimsam 06-19-12 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by bored117 (Post 14379989)
Here is mine.

That is commuting overkill. Nice bike!!! I take it you won't be locking that up outside!! Beautiful bike! That Scott bike is sweet. That is a bike that throws you over the tops of hills i bet.

lungimsam 06-19-12 10:55 PM

This is unrelated to the Scott bike above. Just having a funny moment in a bike store:

(Enters bike shop):

Hmmmmmmm........ let's see............ I am looking for a bike that would be good for commuting....................something with no greater than an 18 spoke count............. full carbon.................. Dura-Ace all around........super stiff..............700 x 18 tires.............oh, and did I mention I have a 3000 mile commute from California, to Annapolis, Maryland this week?

caloso 06-20-12 12:16 AM

All the time. There are group rides after work most days of the week or I'll do power-based intervals at lunch time (I have a power meter on the race bike).

hyhuu 06-20-12 06:03 AM

I only use my road bike for commuting. The distance is too long and there is always a headwind going home for me to be comfortable on my MTB. The road bike is much faster too. Luckily there aren't many traffic stops.

Steely Dan 06-20-12 08:01 AM

when the weather allows, i'm always on my road bike. not only is it faster than my hybrid, it's also just so much damn fun to ride around on a zippy lightweight titanium pony.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7339/img0077qe.jpg

given that 8 miles of my 15 mile one-way commute are along chicago's lakefront path, the type of bike makes a difference in terms of overall time.

i'm a backpack commuter, so no need for racks and bags.

alan s 06-20-12 08:11 AM

When I ride my road bike to work, my speed is so much higher than other riders, it gets a little scary and dangerous.

truman 06-20-12 08:53 AM

Why would anyone ride with a pack that's likely laugh someone out, based on their bike?

blargman 06-20-12 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by truman (Post 14381374)
Why would anyone ride with a pack that's likely laugh someone out, based on their bike?

Some people have more money than brains, or manners.

*edit* Luckily I have manners. :D BRB buying some carbon sunglasses

zacster 06-20-12 10:00 PM

Yea, they get annoyed because they had all passed me at some point, the bridge is a bit narrow, and I myself get annoyed when somebody blows by me when I'm on my regular commuter bike.

And sometimes the girls are hot, and sometimes not. Just like in real life. I'll talk to the hot ones and don't get the cold shoulder that I used to get when I was young. Age has benefits.

I've been using my Trek 8000 mtb with slicks as my commuter for a few years. I never rode to work before here in NYC, it always seemed like a crazy idea but they've been adding so many bike lanes that it doesn't feel unsafe anymore. On my roadie, I would only ride Manhattan on weekends when the traffic was much lighter, and clipless pedals in traffic and with rough streets and sudden stops just made me feel like a candidate for club tombay, nevermind the two trips to the ER, one with BOTH wrists broken, the other with my lip hanging off. No thanks.

I'm also almost 60, somewhat overweight like a lot of men my age, and just shouldn't be blowing anyone away anymore.

bored117 06-20-12 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by lungimsam (Post 14380063)
That is commuting overkill. Nice bike!!! I take it you won't be locking that up outside!! Beautiful bike! That Scott bike is sweet. That is a bike that throws you over the tops of hills i bet.

Sure does! It comes with me to my office.

Originally Posted by truman (Post 14381374)

1. It's practical.
2. I haven't gotten laughed at yet for using this for a year while putting on about 6000 miles. I actually got complemented dozen times though.

ThermionicScott 06-20-12 11:08 PM

Why wouldn't you use a road bike? Back in the day, aspiring racers needing to use the same bike for everything.

spare_wheel 06-21-12 02:40 PM

getting to where you need to go fast == good
carbon fiber road bike == fast
commuting on carbon fiber bike == very good

if you are not putting out maximum effort on your commute (while pretending not to) you are simply not doing it right.