Old 11-11-09, 09:03 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Smokester
I am trying to accumulate real-world data on this question...It turns out it is difficult to do, at least in my case where the comparison is between a carbon fiber road bike and a high racer. I think the best way to answer this question is to use this bicycle speed and power calculator:

http://www.noping.net/english/

My experience is consistent with the results of this calculator. So, if you have an upright racing bike with your hands on the drops and can produce 200 watts then your speed is estimated at 19.8 mph. A highracer estimates out at 21.6 mph. So a high racer recumbent might be about 10% faster than an upright DF racer for the same 200 watt rider on the flats.

A low racer with above seat steering estimates at 23.4 mph.
IMO it's doubtful that a rider who can output 200 watts on a DF will also be able to put out 200 watts on a 'bent. It just doesn't work like that.

Originally Posted by gnome
I'm not actually any faster riding my titanium recumbent than either of my two road bikes. I'm just not as sore or tired after a long ride.
+1

Originally Posted by uprightbent
But what about the vast number of speed freaks paying top dollar for any and all performance advantages and modern lightweight technology. This is a large group apparently ignoring the bent secret? While they may not ride with their groups on a bent wouldn't they love to boast how they did "x" ride the other day on their bent in 17% less time just for the sake of the argument, if it were true?
Not if they follow the same train of thought that you have and let's face it, they're stupid jocks.