Old 01-11-10, 09:04 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by azbackpackr
Ok, it's chilly here in AZ mountains, and sometimes quite cold (below zero, yes, really!) Question: With my current pair of tights my legs can take it down to about 35 or 40 degrees. The rest of me I can layer up so I'm quite comfortable for the first part of the ride. But once I get sweaty, I start heading home because I begin to feel very chilled. I usually make only about 10 miles by the time this happens.

I don't have this happen when hiking or cross country skiing, I guess because I am going slower, less wind chill? I can hike or ski for many hours when it's really cold, but on the bike when it isn't even all that cold (40 isn't really very cold, after all) I just feel chilled and slow and unhappy. I have really tried to toughen up and ride in the cold, but I just don't enjoy it that much. Any suggestions? I can't afford the indoor trainer right now, and it also sounds awfully boring.
This is something that I wear.http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1043948_-1___
I wear a wicking long sleeve training shirt over a t shirt with a long sleeve jersey over that and that pretty much does it for me. If it's below 30 I'll wear my rain jacket. You have to kind of watch with the rain jacket though. I have one that breaths and I still get hot with it. If I start to sweat, I roll it up and put it in my Jersey pocket. It works for me anyhow.