Old 03-30-10, 08:29 PM
gji555

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist

Wow. So we've been dating for a year and a half (I'm 26) and I just found out that my girlfriend's dad intentionally 'tapped' a cyclist. She didn't tell me sooner because she knows I ride a bike and would get upset. As expected, I went ape-sht.

"He didn't get hurt. He didn't even fall over. He's only done it once." -her

"There is no such thing as 'tap' when it comes to car vs. bike. Its not just that the other person was on a bike, its that intentionally hitting ANY HUMAN BEING whether cycling, pogo-sticking, or riding a horse drawn carriage downtown, is absolutely wrong and border line insane. This is above and beyond the me-mentality of many car drivers because he actually acted on his own frustrations/ignorance. My sister's boss got killed on his morning commute by a drugged up alcoholic. I've been grazed. I've met several people who have been hit." -me

That was last night. Today, I couldn't help but stewing on it all day. So I canceled on a planned beach trip this weekend. (A 4-day trip I considered bringing the bike on.) I'm afraid that no matter how hard I try not to, I would have to confront her dad. I can't imagine not saying anything. This would not be the time or the place for a traffic rules and moral discussion. I don't want to create a confrontation but can't fight the need to stand up for the person he hit and other people outside of cars. GF can't understand how this is a big deal for me and is quite upset. She also didn't mention he had any remorse and implied that it was funny.

Am I over reacting? What would you do? Happy Easter??