View Single Post
Old 10-16-10, 01:00 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I work right in the middle of the 'hood. We regularly get death threats at work. (Who in their right mind makes death threats to librarians? Sheesh.) There's no other way to get there, except maybe by helicopter.

As a cyclist, the suburbs frighten the hell out of me. The 'hood? Not so much. At least in the 'hood, folks are used to bikes and know how to drive respectful around them. No one there wants to tangle with the cops. It's the suburbs where nobody gives a damn about cyclists.

I've had no problems riding through the neighborhood. I don't change a thing. I ride through in full hi-viz, lycra-clad regalia, lights on as required, panniers loaded--the works.

The most I've ever gotten out of anyone was "Nice bike! How much did it cost?"

In that neck of the woods, every bike I own, even my titanium Litespeed cost, "A hundred bucks. I got it used on Craigslist. You should check it out."

Other than occasionally complimenting other riders on their bikes, (and there are some really nice cruisers) I mind my business, and folks mind theirs.

As far as loud music is concerned, there's one corner I really like where this old guy sits out front playing jazz guitar. I give him his props, every day.
Likes For tsl: